IGNORED

2017 RT quit running

I went for a short ride and only 10 miles from home and  my bike just quit running. What I got was the yellow engine icon. My 2017 RT only has 34840 miles on it so still a little warranty left. I pushed the bike into a drive way and Monday I will call my dealer in Austin, TX 100 miles from me to pick it up. I'm just glad I was not several hundred miles from home.
Bob in Waco, TX

Not to insult but, plenty of fuel on board? Any noise with the engine shutdown? A picture of the icon? 

If you have a GS911 tool, you might be able to figure out what is wrong. You might get really lucky and be able to clear the code(s) and get it going again. 

There might be be a forum member near you who might let you use theirs if you don’t have one. 

Hopefully nothing serious!

8 hours ago, 1940 said:

I had just toped the tank off at a major gas station. I'm hard of hearing so I didn't hear anything.

Morning Bob

Bike ran fine, then you filled tank, then it quit running????????????????

First thing, try calling that major gas station, ask them if they had any gasoline problems on the day that you filled your tank.

It's very possible that you filled your tank with partial water or (who knows). 

Also,  be sure to tell the dealer that is picking the bike up that you had just filled the fuel tank before it quit running.  

45 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

I had just toped the tank off at a major gas station. I'm hard of hearing so I didn't hear anything.

I agree with DR.  KIS - Focus on figuring out if the fuel was the cause.  Not sure if it is possible to get a hose to the lowest part of the tank to pump/siphon out a gallon of fuel into a glass jug to see if you have a slug of water in the tank.

I'll call Sam's Club today and see if they have had any problems. I would assume that the fuel is filtered.

Bob

I stopped at Sams and the guy running the fuel pumps said the water was drained daily and they had sump pumps etc. to keep the  water out. BMW said to pull the tank and drain it. That's more then I want to do. Tried Heet but didn't seem to help.

Bob

It looks like you have  to pull the tank to drain it and that means taking all the panels off, a real pain in the ass.

2 hours ago, 1940 said:

It looks like you have  to pull the tank to drain it and that means taking all the panels off, a real pain in the ass.

Afternoon 1940

You can get a lot of fuel out with a small limber hose (be very careful as a hose inserted into the tank can bend the fuel level sensor float arm. You need to get the hose WAY down into the bottom corners of each side lower tank wing.

Then get some help & put a triple folded blanket on the ground then lean the bike over onto a valve cover (you can  then get more out) lean it both directions but put the hose into the low side).

Keep all the removed fuel & place in clear water jugs, or large clear bowls, then allow to settle, then keep checking, for water in the bottom of the container under the fuel.

Also call the gas station back & speak to a manager & explain your problem (maybe they have more to offer NOW on a water in fuel problem from them). If they have to clear/drain daily then they are fighting some sort of water issue.

You might also remove a spark plug to see if it is wet from water (if so then remove both spark plugs & unplug coils, then crank engine to see if water/moisture blows out during cranking)

1940...a few years ago had the exact same problem.  Pulled into named brand gas station, filled up....went 3-4 blocks.... sputtered and died.  The BMW shop drained the fuel into a clear container and you could clearly see the water fuel separation.  Of course the station denied they had a problem.  I googled to see if other motorist had issues with that station and sure enough many did....they still claimed all was well with their fuel.  I don't know if that is your issue or not but as other said...running fine, fueled up, won't run.....hmmmm  Good luck.  By the way pulling all the panels is really easy on this bike provided you know how to disengage and reengage the tabs.  Many folks broke them, including BMW shops, until they figured it out.  It is very different than oil head panels.

A receipt from a gas station will confirm purchase.  Recently in the news, there was a station that had a mis-drop delivery (diesel in gasoline, i I recall correctly).  Also, there were quite a few incidents over the years with water in the gas (or bad gas.)  Save the receipt.  A lot of folks just pay at the pump and drive off.  The receipt will hold the station owner accountable, if water is found by the dealer. 

Good luck!

alegerlotz
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

A receipt from a gas station will confirm purchase.  Recently in the news, there was a station that had a mis-drop delivery (diesel in gasoline, i I recall correctly).  Also, there were quite a few incidents over the years with water in the gas (or bad gas.)  Save the receipt.  A lot of folks just pay at the pump and drive off.  The receipt will hold the station owner accountable, if water is found by the dealer. 

Good luck!

Even if you don't have the receipt from the pump, a charge to that station on your credit card statement should go a long way toward proving the purchase as well.

• Like 1

At the risk of committing heresy, may I ask if you are an MOA member?  You might have road hazard insurance that will pay towing to the nearest dealer.  If you don't want to do the troubleshooting yourself, then pack it off to the dealer.

46 minutes ago, Ken S said:

If the bike still has warranty, doesn't BMW tow for free to the nearest dealer?

Afternoon Ken

Yes, they do, but if the problem is water (contamination) in the fuel then that isn't covered under  the BMW warranty,  and isn't covered under  BMW warranty recovery towing.  

The dealer called and told me I had a broken wire in the bike and that it was caused when I dropped my bike a couple hundred miles ago on a low water crossing. 

Wait, what?  A lot of these posts were pointing toward water in the fuel as you said you just filled up with gas at Sam's, but I guess they were close.

Nice to read that it was figured out. 

I wonder which wire could have caused this issue?

MichiganBob

All in all, seems like a good outcome compared to what it could have been. Good to get back on the road.

A weird missing bit of info.  A drop that injured a wire which later broke.  Maybe not a straight up KIS, and yes I'm interested in a wire vulnerable to a drop.

11 hours ago, 1940 said:

The dealer called and told me I had a broken wire in the bike and that it was caused when I dropped my bike a couple hundred miles ago on a low water crossing. 

Morning 1940

Something tells me that there is way more to this story than your dealer is letting on.

I can see possibly pulling a wire loose when picking the bike back up after a drop  (or when they trailered it to the BMW dealer) but simply dropping the bike is sort of asking us to believe in ghosts.

The only thing that even comes close on the WC/ RT  in my mind  is a possible damaged coil B+ supply wire that shorted to the shield wire & shut down the entire primary on both sides.

Can you call your dealer & ask for a more thorough explanation on exactly what wire was broken? (tell them you want to be sure it doesn't happen again if you ever drop the bike again).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 1940 said:

I will ask for a better explanation when I go get the bike.

Thank you 1940

That could help a lot of 1200RT wc riders in the future if it is going to be a somewhat common problem after a simple bike drop.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, 1940 said:

I will ask for a better explanation when I go get the bike.

We need pics! :bike:

I have seen a video of a camhead RT get dumped in deeper water and it came out okay (I believe.)  I hope your guards functioned properly, which looks like they did their job.

........staying tuned.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, 1940 said:

My guards did a good job and no damage to the finish

1/. Did you have guards front AND rear?

2/. What are those bags just in front of the panniers?

3/. I can't believe you were chilled enough to stroll across and take a picture.Me, I'd have been trying to get the bike up as quickly as possible. The thought of all the fluids getting to places they shouldn't really gives me the urge to crack-on.

Andy, you can see the rear guard in the picture.  Actually, that's what the bags (that you had asked about) were attached to!

I am more interested in hearing back from the dealer as to how this can cause any wires to be damaged or loosen!  I am assuming that they were talking about the ignition wire to the stick coil, which would be (presumably) what they had in mind.  What's the bet that they themselves hadn't plug the wire back in properly, the last time that they had serviced the bike!

Bill_Walker
On 6/6/2019 at 6:20 AM, 1940 said:

I made it almost all the way across and then the bike slide down and ended up facing the way I came.

IMG_1150.jpg

And that right there is why I have turned back while riding alone at two similar water crossings just this year.  I'm sad for you, but happy to see that my concerns were not unfounded.

When I dropped the bike  the highway peg pushed into the injector cover and caused bad connection and it quit on me 24 hours later 250 when I was riding around home just after I filled up with gas. I never use the Ilium $300 highway pegs so will be taking them off. I'm real happy with my Ilium engine and bag guards. And for those that noticed I carry a gallon of water on my passenger peg.

IMG_1163.jpg

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, 1940 said:

When I dropped the bike  the highway peg pushed into the injector cover and caused bad connection and it quit on me 24 hours later 250 when I was riding around home just after I filled up with gas. I never use the Ilium $300 highway pegs so will be taking them off. I'm real happy with my Ilium engine and bag guards. And for those that noticed I carry a gallon of water on my passenger peg.

Afternoon 1940

Thanks for the follow up.

Small detail-- That is the ignition coil cover that you show damaged not the injector cover.

Bill Walker I was with a buddy who helped me pick the bike up. I also carry a bike jack in case I'm by myself as no way can I pick it up.

14 hours ago, 1940 said:

Bill Walker I was with a buddy who helped me pick the bike up. I also carry a bike jack in case I'm by myself as no way can I pick it up.

Very easy to pick up your bike!  There are plenty of YouTube video to show you how to do it.  You should take a look.

So, you did make an impact on the ignition wire.  I guess I have to apologize for thinking it was the dealer trying to hide it!!!  :)

I  used to be able to pickup my Goldwing but old age has got the best of me. I was born in 1940. I've watched the videos of young ladies picking them  up but I can' t do it and that's why I carry a bike jack.

Charles Elms

Can you provide information on the type of bike jack you have and have you had to use it?

Nice kit. And it looks like I could use it with a minor adaption to adjust the height of my dock.  With this last super wet spring my dock was swamped a lot of days in the last few months.