IGNORED

Orbis Wheel Interesting but can it be made affordable?

ltljohn

For the moment it's an expensive toy.  But it's a no-brainer to put the whole motor/drivetrain/brake setup in each wheel.  The idea that you can add it to an existing car is really cool.  You could turn any old car into a hybrid.  Or you could just about create a reliable vehicle out of any yard car, with a simple wheel swap.  Junk yards will be cleaned out.  Everyone will have a vintage, derelict electric vehicle.  It'll be awesome. 

This does look like an expensive way to go.

Instead of going this route just eliminate the middle man & buy 4 Zero motorcycles. 

It would be 4 times as fun & a fraction of the cost:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, elkroeger said:

You could turn any old car into a hybrid.  Or you could just about create a reliable vehicle out of any yard car, with a simple wheel swap.  Junk yards will be cleaned out.  Everyone will have a vintage, derelict electric vehicle.  It'll be awesome. 

Check this out.

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 6/2/2019 at 7:19 AM, ltljohn said:

I just ran across this Orbis electric wheel  It looks interesting but can it be made affordable and durable or is it just an expensive toy. 

From their site, I found this video:

12 minutes, but you can click forward bit by bit and glean the details of construction/assembly.

I have serious doubts about durability.  those little rollers running on the inside surface of the rim aren't going to last long when exposed to the grit and grime of the real world.  Neither is the ring gear that's affixed to the rim.