IGNORED

Gateway BMW Doing Things Right

Indy Dave

The Camhead developed a sight glass leak during START. And not just a weep - it was marking its territory everywhere she was parked.

20190508_203707.thumb.jpg.c73eae715d5e525c16385f885ea3845f.jpg

20190508_201929.thumb.jpg.7b561769a8eabf33d84bdd80fd8478c0.jpg

I have the "glass" sight glass and online research didn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy about a blemish-free Indy Dave repair and the potential for breaking the new glass seems not unheard of. I have the Clean Living Hoosier trip coming up, and I didn't want any pre-trip hiccups. So the first week of May, I call the local dealer here and they are scheduling in LATE JUNE.:ohboy: That dog ain't gonna hunt no-how, as I leave June 4th! :bike:  I have never been all that enthusiastic about our local Motorrad  dealer, opting the last time I needed dealer service to ride up to Grand Rapids, MI to have service done. I considered doing the same for this issue, but I've been hearing from others that Gateway BMW in St Louis was knocking it out of the park. So I gave them a ring and from start to finish, have never been treated better! :old:

The service manager was involved throughout - not just making the appointment - but wanting to be sure that the leak wasn't somewhere else - to avoid a potential issue once I arrived. He had me double check a couple of more prone areas for oil leaks, as they have not been seeing many sight glass leaks on camheads. I checked those areas and sent photos - obviously over the phone he wanted to be sure of the leak origin, but upon seeing the photos, felt certain we had identified the issue. I trailered to Gateway and they were quick to help offload the bike, check me in and work on the bike.

Did I mention they have inventory?

20190529_100830.thumb.jpg.62390d8d0fbbdc4ed9159451fafdee22.jpg

20190529_100825.thumb.jpg.dd0e8e8ebeeb6b0dcbcca0c167fa918d.jpg

20190529_100753.thumb.jpg.c07eb96e0c7cda7ed65254c01f2910ed.jpg

They had a some nice historic pieces inside, as well as more new bike inventory. I mill around the showroom and try on a Rallye Jacket that I make look absolutely stunning! :ohboy: They have a good selection of riding gear, BMW gear and Gateway gear, parts and accessories. The parts folks behind the counter know their stuff - from the gear and the materials, to bikes new and old and of course, parts. These are bike enthusiasts who use the same gear they sell. I bought a couple of nifty tools and shirts. I ask another gentleman if they have a price on the 2019 Demo RT out front "for a friend ;)" . I mention that the dealership came highly recommended from friends and that my understanding is that someone on staff even hosts a GS riding event every year. "Yes, that would be me, I'm Honz, the owner and I host that at my cabin and folks camp all weekend."  We have a nice conversation - the way riders do. He comes back after a while and mentions the Rush sticker on my bike (with a sparkle in his eye) - not only had he been out to check on my bike - but he knows of things Rush, so you KNOW this is a good guy! Turns out the GS Ghost Rider is a fan of Gateway as well. We chat more and I learn the history of the dealership. Hans even knows his Indy customers by name (and I suspect, all of his customers). He's quick to praise his staff. He gets a call and my bike is finished, so the service manager (Shannon) wants to go over things with me.

As a matter of course, they check torques on calipers and wheels and inspect the bike. Everything looks good. He reviews the repair and noted one small thing - one of the tie downs I'd used up front was pinching the Skene wire running up the fork. He offers to cut the wire tie and place a new one in a higher location, out of the way of the strap - but wanted to be sure I was OK with that. I'd thought I'd gone inside the wire, but apparently didn't. I told him it was fine to cut the wire tie and I'd just put a new one on when I got home. He cut the tie AND gave me a new one to replace it with! I mentioned the minor rearward oil leak on my Hexhead, and he got out his flashlight and pointed at three areas that are likely to be this issue.

He also inspected the tie downs - looking for frays or issues. One of them did have the beginnings of a fray - and in fact I'd bought a new set from the parts department - so we used the new ones. He said he'd help me trailer the bike, I said great, let me hook back up the trailer and come back to get you when I'm ready. I get everything set to load and come back to get Shannon.  I look back into the showroom to thank Honz and say goodbye, but I can see he's busy.

Shannon trailered the bike and I tied it down, with Shannon giving helpful suggestions on what they've found works best. But that's not all! Shannon notes my wheel chalk doesn't have a 'lock' like the newer ones do. Shannon offers to get an extra strap he has and asks if it's ok to use it to secure the front wheel in the wheel chalk. But of course!

20190529_183436.thumb.jpg.9f54398344eddc44e7dffe31bdebee0d.jpg

These guys are through! About this time, Honz walks down to check on things and to say goodbye and thank me for coming. And he gives me a hat. 

I probably have higher expectations than I should for service departments (and most things). In every way, Gateway BMW exceeded my expectations in spades. My local dealership is now Gateway.

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It’s nice to hear about dealerships like this. I can see why you’d want to patronize it. When you started to talk about the Skene lights, I had flashbacks to the Endobobdds “incident” at START. 😀

Dave, I think it would only be fitting if you bought a new 1250 from Gateway. 

• Like 2

Gateway is one of those dealers that encourages Demo rides - that seems like a no brainier - but just try to do that at the Indy shop. I thought long and hard about bringing gear with me, but I know once I ride one I'll be in it deep. When offered a ride on a 1250, I said I didn't have any gear. Not to worry, we have gear you can use - what size do you need? :thumbsup:

There's a 1250 in my future, probably sooner rather than later than I thought when I bought the camhead last Fall. I think I have the suspension finally sorted now, so I should be happy for the near future - as long as I don't ride one.

Now... about the RT vs GSA . . . .:4296:

• Haha 2

Oh! Honz made sure to show me the torque curve difference between the Wethead and Shiftcam. Not only more torque, but a much higher amount available over a much wider band, beginning lower in the RPM range. I know that twisting the throttle has to be intoxicating on the 1250. I have to keep telling myself . . . "I don't need more power!" Which is true. But like most things, once you experience it, you must wonder how you could do without it.

• Like 2

Dang, that makes me want to have them service my RT and they are 575 miles away!!

As far as the 1250 is concerned, the power is awesome!  Very, very intoxicating, to be sure.

I will be spending a lot of money on tires, fuel, and brakes.  :revit:

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

. "I don't need more power!" 

You ALWAYS need more power!  

I refuse to ride an 1250 for this very reason!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

that is my local shop and have nothing but good things to say also!! Shannon is so thorough it's crazy,parts guys are as good also....

• Like 1
Oldironken

I always drive by their shop when the wife and i fly into St. Louis to visit her family.  I have had half a mind to stop in a couple of times, maybe i should this summer.  I'll make sure to be wear flip-flops and shorts so i won't be tempted to sit on a 1250.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

You ALWAYS need more power!  

Yes, of course. Just like Captain Kirk - "Scotty, I NEED MORE POWER!" :bike:  :revit:

15 minutes ago, Oldironken said:

I always drive by their shop when the wife and i fly into St. Louis to visit her family.  I have had half a mind to stop in a couple of times, maybe i should this summer.  I'll make sure to be wear flip-flops and shorts so i won't be tempted to sit on a 1250.

Good luck with that!! :wave:

Some others have been chiming in on Gateway as well. Clean Living Hoosier Ernie (now living in CT) has a buddy who's bought a couple of bikes from Honz at Gateway. He says it's the place to buy, and his buddy's most recent purchase was in Jan and he did a fly and ride in frigid temps and humped it back to CT. A local friend already has Gateway's Spring fling on his calendar for next year and says they have events at the dealership all year, including movie nights in the Winter.