IGNORED

BMW Enduroguard Suit

steve.foote

steve.foote

It turns out that Klim doesn't make a pant that is short enough for me (30" inseam) so I have to look elsewhere for my gear.  I'm looking for a true 4-season pant/jacket suit which doesn't require removable liners to be waterproof.  I'm open to ideas, but would like to hear anyone's experience with the BMW Endurogard Suit.  Are they as waterproof as BMW claims?

Thanks in advance!

I bought an EnduroGuard suit last Spring (2018) and wore it to START and then out west to the UnRally.  My riding buddy Endobobdds bought one before the UnRally as well, and we rode out together.  It worked fine in light rain.  However, on the very last day of our trip back home to the D.C. area, it rained steadily for the better part of the day.  After just three hours of highway riding, we stopped for a break, and discovered that we were both completely soaked, like we had jumped into a swimming pool.  After I got home, I took my suit back to the dealer, who refunded my money without hesitation.  I then bought the new Rallye suit.  Endobobdds also took his back and got a full refund.  He ended up buying a one-piece Aerostitch.  Before buying the EnduroGuard, I had tried the new Klim Badlands, but it just didn't fit well at all, no matter what size I tried.  BMW fits me well, and the new Rallye is very comfortable right out of the box.  The EndroGuard was a bit like wearing a suit made out of cardboard.  It's very stiff, but I think any triple-layer Goretex suit will be.  I was like you, in that I was trying to eliminate the need for rain gear.  It just din't work out for me.

• Like 1
steve.foote

Thanks JR.  Klim Latitude was my first choice, but they don't make pants that fit me (need 32 Short).  I tried the Badlands Pro in 34 Short, but it fit like a circus tent.  Aerostitch is in consideration.

AeroStich has custom alterations and custom colors for the Classic RoadCrafter Suits. They also will do repairs down the road if needed. 

I have done more then 320,000+ miles with my 2 suits since 2001 and I have ridden in all 4 seasons we have here in the South East. Order it big enough to be able to wear electric gear or a cool vest under it.

5D24C947-1FB6-42BD-8C7B-772D72AAA525.thumb.jpeg.78e6a6ffe49f984bba749ab6e8a3ce1b.jpeg

PS: And they can be quickly removed for the occasional coffee stop or lunch.

• Like 2

Bernie knows AeroStitch to be sure, I still love my Ralley gear though, apparently you can wear the liner on the outside BTW. The Badlands Pro does come in size 30 and nothing is worse than pants that are too short while riding...

• Like 1

Steve - As Mark clearly stated the BMW Enduroguard was not "waterproof".   I like my Aerostich - a one-piece R3 - grey with black shoulders and knees/lower legs. Had mid gusset material added,1 inch each side, to have more room for electric jacket or if I should put on any weight.   Also purchased optional Aerostich back protector.  With the custom tailoring about $600 less than the Klim Badlands jacket/pants.  It took me a bit of practice to get in and out of, however, I like that I can now remove all the gear and have comfortable street clothes on under the Aerostich.   For local riding or after removing gear once at a hotel for a few nights, at a coffee or lunch stop I can fold the Aerostich up and fit it in either of my GSA side cases when they are empty. 

Not yet been in a heavy rain, however, everyone that has an Aerostich swears they are waterproof.:18:

• Like 2
steve.foote

Thanks guys.  I'm researching the Aerostich options now.  I really appreciate the input!

23 years wearing the same Stich, here. :clap: It's beginning to say WTF, I'm done. :grin: I think I can coax a couple more seasons out of it, though. ;) Mine is the two piece roadcrafter. Now, even from new it was never completely water proof but that won't discourage me from buying a new one.

• Like 1
steve.foote

I read about that, Pat.  The earlier Roadcrafter Classic used a different seam method and wasn't entirely waterproof.  I think the RC3's are supposed to be pretty much impenetrable.   23 years!  That's a long time for a suit.  I thought the 15 years I've worn my Savannah II suit was out there.  I was wrong!  LOL

• Like 1
steve.foote

It's official!  I'm a 'stitch guy.  The suit fits perfectly, AND, it makes me look like I have some sort of an idea what I'm doing.  That's a bonus.  :-D

IMG_20190606_173059.thumb.jpg.4bacc58d7134521bd6daa21a63e56421.jpg

• Like 4
steve.foote

I just took it out for 45 minutes of moderate rain and now see why you guys are Gaga over them.  It feels so natural on your body you hardly know it's there.  And, not a drop of rain got through.  I'm really impressed.  It should get even better with age. 

• Like 3
John Ranalletta

Had a 1-piece that was great but it shrunk over one winter.  Scored like-new 2-piece as part of the deal on the '15 GS I bought.  Glad to be back in the Stitch.  Really liked the older BMW suit but tired of trying to out-guess the weather.  Seemed like every time I stopped to weatherize, it would stop raining.:dontknow:

steve.foote

That was my experience John.  I can't remember how many times I pulled over. donned the banana suit, took off and the rain stopped.  It got to the point I just stopped wearing it and road many times soaking wet. 

17 hours ago, RightSpin said:

It's official!  I'm a 'stitch guy.  The suit fits perfectly, AND, it makes me look like I have some sort of an idea what I'm doing.  That's a bonus.  :-D

IMG_20190606_173059.thumb.jpg.4bacc58d7134521bd6daa21a63e56421.jpg

Nice color combo!  So that's what that flap of material on the chest is for!?!  To hold gloves!  Enjoy it!

• Like 1
steve.foote

Yup, it's a pass through under the pocket for holding gloves.  That will be handy when moving the bike at a gas station from the pump to a parking spot for a break .  I used to have to sit on my gloves so I didn't drop them.

Bill_Walker
20 hours ago, RightSpin said:

The suit fits perfectly, AND, it makes me look like I have some sort of an idea what I'm doing.

And it's so very slimming!  Either that, or you've lost a lot of weight since I saw you last (which was probably 2009).

• Like 1

Speaking about lightweight, is the R3 put together using a lighter materal vs the regular roadcrafter suit?

steve.foote

It uses different seam sealing and doesn't have a liner.  I'm not sure if there are other differences Pat.

• Like 1