IGNORED

Slovenia in August

SteveHebert

Hey all,

It has been quite some time since I posted and longer since I have ridden, other than a scooter in Thailand!  

I rented a GS for a week in August so I can show my wife more of my passion of riding.  Our first and only trip together was in Ireland in 2016.  

We will be getting the bike and equipment from Adriatic Motorcycle Tours.

Other than Lake Bled, are there any other places we must see?  We will be hiking a bit as well and staying in a refuge for the night at the top of the tallest peak!

Thanks in advance!

Can't help ya with the must sees but I'm sure you'll enjoy riding the GS! :thumbsup: I believe Mr. Hill may have spent some time over in that part of the world, a couple years ago. 

It's been a few years since I've been to Bled, but here's some suggestions.

Ljubljana to Lake Bled. Probably the best road to get there would be 8 from Ljubljana to 210 to Zelezniki (403) then North to Rudno and 635. 

698321081_930ROAD635copy2.thumb.jpg.683a1b988d419ea25bb3d4fe48a7197d.jpg

We stayed at the Jelovica Hotel, comfortable, free parking and reasonably priced.  Good restaurant almost next door called Gostinlna Pri Planincu which was owned by a biker.

Lake Bled to Vrhnika via mountain route.  Leave Bled via E61 to Kranjska Gora and   then turn south on 206 to 203.  Stay on this until you hit 102, turn left and ride to 903 (just past Idrsko) and then turn right to 903.  Follow this to Livek and turn left onto 605.   Ride to Kambresko and turn left onto 604.   In Rodinj turn left onto 103 to Most na Soci and then catch 102 all the way to Vrhnika.  (good dining and great Local Museum in Vrhnika)

Vrhnika to Plitvice Lake (Croatia).  Ask the tour operator for a route on this leg to be sure you catch the right border crossing. Ask tour operator to find lodging for you nearby.   Plan on at least a few hours walking here.    Here's a guide point for the park.

1824517762_140NationalParkcopy2.thumb.jpg.aee286070ae761950fc2d8a283b3681d.jpg

Plitvice Lake to Postojna Caves  (Try the Jama Hotel, adjacent to the caves)

Postojna to Ljubljana

RPondaRoad

The Julian Alps and Bled are pure eye candy and worth the trip.  You'll love the natural beauty there.  Ljubljana, Slovenia's capital is a great visit too.  The architecture is interesting, it has a lively cafe life along it's river and some really interesting bridges.  If you like to mix in some relaxation into a hectic vacation, Ljubljana is your place.  I find Slovenia to be warm and welcoming.  

You''re going to be so close to Plitvice Lakes, it would be a shame to not drop down to Croatia in order to experience them.  These lakes and their incredible cascading water falls are unlike anything you'll find elsewhere.  As you hike through the lakes and falls, much of it is on a board walkway with the water flowing beneath your feet.  It is spectacular.  

You don't say how much time you have or where else you plan to travel while in the area.  But, if you are able, the Dalmatian coast of Croatia is among the most beautiful in the world.  The walled city of Dubrovnik, the towns of Split, and Zadar each have a different feel.  A trip out to the islands is worthwhile as well.  I especially enjoy the town of Hvar, accessible from Split. The term "Croatian hospitality" is laughingly referred to as an oxymoron, but I wouldn't let that get in the way of enjoying one of the most beautiful countries in the world.  

• Like 1
Marty Hill

Steve, have a great trip.  I can't add to what Thor said.  It is a beautiful area so enjoy.

Marty

SteveHebert

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  We will have a week there and will be spending two full days trekking up and down Mt Triglav and staying one night at the top in the refuge.  We also have plans for one night in Bled but that is all for now.

We will look into Platvika NP as a destination.  I have always wanted to see it.

• 3 months later...

Well the trip is over and we had a great time!  We decided to just stay in the northwest mainly around the Triglav park.  One night in Bohinj enjoying a hike and some time on the lake, followed by three nights in Lake Bled.  We spent an entire day hiking up and down Mt Triglav.  We rode the GS to the start point and set out at 5:45 am, returning to the GS at 4:45 pm.

Next was a full day on the lake and the surrounding area, stumbling onto a wine festival.  We went fancy and stayed one night in the Grand Hotel Toplice for our Anniversary.

We then headed to Bovic via Kranjska Gora where we spent the night and enjoyed a few hours of canyoning the next morning.

We rode the next day to Pivka, stopping for a swim along the way and found an incredibly twisty road that had just been resurfaced!  In Pivka our reservation got messed up by Booking.com and the hotel owners (Rooms Herman) felt so bad that they fed us while cleaning their personal apartment below their house and put us up for the night!  Incredible hospitality!  We visited the Postanja Caves and the Predjama Castle.  Very impressive!

We then returned to the capital to drop off the GS and enjoyed two days around Ljubljana.  Our hotel was in the old city and was close to everything.

The rental and riding equipment from Adriatic Moto Tours was great. Revit clothing and Schuberth helmets!

Thanks for the tips and suggestions on the roads.  We enjoyed several of them!

336F8071-63E9-4481-B193-B6F9870B0638.jpeg

B67A8E51-F87E-4264-BB80-D7892EB1A303.jpeg

291B28A2-ED87-4189-90DD-6A499EF6BA6D.jpeg

75655C69-020B-406C-A322-276B476F4353.png

739FC230-F7C6-4852-8987-9F60FD748E50.jpeg

• Like 5
RandyShields

Steve, great to see you back in action.  And I don't mean in the middle east!  Look forward to catching up some time.

Randy

2 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Steve, great to see you back in action.  And I don't mean in the middle east!  Look forward to catching up some time.

Randy

Hey Randy, it’s good to hear from you! Last time I saw you was that chance encounter in the Dublin airport when in my last motorcycle tour.

i’m not in the action anymore.  We left that behind two years ago when we moved Abu Dhabi.  Just teaching here and enjoying life to the fullest with Melissa.

• Like 1