IGNORED

Coolant change

Dave_in_TX

Dave_in_TX

With five years and 103k miles on the original coolant, I think it's probably time to change it. A google search has turned up only a limited amount of information on this.My Haynes manual says to use the BMW vacuum tool when adding coolant to remove air from the system. I found a link to a DIY procedure that didn't use the tool but simply ran the engine with the radiator cap off to "burp" the system. However, other links I found said this would not get all the air out of the system. Since I can't find anything definitive, I'd like to get some opinions from this forum. If anyone has done a coolant change on their wethead, I'd like to hear about it.

Well we were told the same thing about our LT's.  We pulled hoses and dropped coolant and did as you described.  We did burp the hoses by hand but we did heat it just like in the old days and cars when the thermostat opened we filled the radiator.  We would run it and see if it showed normal temps for the bike. If we had air it would read real high.  Back to the garage and cool it down, try and burp it, fill the radiator and the the reservoir and rinse and repeat.  I only did it once on the LT and it was not a big deal as I remember it.

I do question Lifetime anything.  But that is what I was told on coolant changes. 

Around 5- 6 years or so and I will have to give it a go as I think that is a good number.  I mean it can't be that difficult.  And it really does not hold a lot of coolant at all.

I have heard tossed around a brake bleeder to pull the coolant through the system?   I just have not seen or heard where and how they are going to cut into the system to pull the vacuum?  I mean one of the water pipe outlets may be of a size for a stopper cap with line for a Mighty Vac?

Dave_in_TX
7 hours ago, LAF said:

Well we were told the same thing about our LT's.  We pulled hoses and dropped coolant and did as you described.  We did burp the hoses by hand but we did heat it just like in the old days and cars when the thermostat opened we filled the radiator.  We would run it and see if it showed normal temps for the bike. If we had air it would read real high.  Back to the garage and cool it down, try and burp it, fill the radiator and the the reservoir and rinse and repeat.  I only did it once on the LT and it was not a big deal as I remember it.

I do question Lifetime anything.  But that is what I was told on coolant changes. 

Around 5- 6 years or so and I will have to give it a go as I think that is a good number.  I mean it can't be that difficult.  And it really does not hold a lot of coolant at all.

I have heard tossed around a brake bleeder to pull the coolant through the system?   I just have not seen or heard where and how they are going to cut into the system to pull the vacuum?  I mean one of the water pipe outlets may be of a size for a stopper cap with line for a Mighty Vac?

The coolant manufacturers generally spec five years and 100,000 or 150,000 miles for long life coolant so I also doubt the reality of lifetime coolant. You can use a brake bleeder to pull coolant through the system but you need to attach it to a radiator vacuum tool such as the the one BMW sells to insert in the radiator opening.

There are other sources for this type of tool but if it's not needed, why buy one.