IGNORED

dead battery now dead starter

Tawera

Hi all,

I had a brand new battery that suddenly died on me after only a couple of weeks. I've had it replaced but when I fitted it the starter just gives one click and nothing else, even though it worked fine before. Now the question is, would one fry the other or is it just coincidence they have gone at the same time? Can I replace the starter and all will be well?

The clock, lights etc work; fuses ok and the battery has 13v of charge. Bike is a 1995 R1100RT. Your thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Tawera said:

Hi all,

I had a brand new battery that suddenly died on me after only a couple of weeks. I've had it replaced but when I fitted it the starter just gives one click and nothing else, even though it worked fine before. Now the question is, would one fry the other or is it just coincidence they have gone at the same time? Can I replace the starter and all will be well?

The clock, lights etc work; fuses ok and the battery has 13v of charge. Bike is a 1995 R1100RT. Your thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Evening Tawera

Can't tell anything conclusive from your limited info but possibly a magnet in your starter has come loose, like magnet glue broke loose (somewhat common on the 1100 starter) ). Or you might have a bad connection in your starter cable circuit (like large cable connection  at the starter solenoid or a poor ground cable connection)

Does the clock time stay correct as you try to start the engine? If so then probably either a bad cable connection (starter end) or possibly a bad starter).

Hi dirtrider

Thanks for the reply. The clock resets itself when I press the start button so maybe the power's not getting through fully. I'm going to go through all of the connections etc as best I can. I'm fairly sure it's the starter but I was just trying to see what people thought as to whether the failure of the battery and starter etc are connected and what is the liklihood of a repeat.

11 minutes ago, Tawera said:

Hi dirtrider

Thanks for the reply. The clock resets itself when I press the start button so maybe the power's not getting through fully. I'm going to go through all of the connections etc as best I can. I'm fairly sure it's the starter but I was just trying to see what people thought as to whether the failure of the battery and starter etc are connected and what is the liklihood of a repeat.

Evening Tawera

Personally I usually do a voltage drop test from the battery (+) post (the ACTUAL POST itself, not the cable connection) to the starter solenoid  large stud (actual stud not  the cable on the stud).  Then hit starter button.

Then do another voltage drop test from battery (-) post (the ACTUAL POST itself, not the cable connection) to a clean bare spot on the starter.  Then hit starter button.

Anything over .5 volts during attempted cranking shows a resistance issue in that part of the system.

I probably won't be back in internet connection range until sometime tomorrow/