IGNORED

R18 Concept bike

fourteenfour

Yeah,  that bike looks and sounds cool.  Too bad a lot of that luster will be lost in production.  I am a player for my 3rd BMW if it remains real close enough to that concept.   Cheers!

6 hours ago, Ponch said:

And pass if that is it. Bad ergos and not practical at all. 

Agree, it's cool if you have a lot of money and like to play dress up on Friday nights. :grin: Now, in that same link, there's a picture of a Shiftcam "power cruiser" that looks pretty badass. :thumbsup: 

58 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Agree, it's cool if you have a lot of money and like to play dress up on Friday nights. :grin: Now, in that same link, there's a picture of a Shiftcam "power cruiser" that looks pretty badass. :thumbsup: 

Yeah ... sent that one to my buddy who ride a Ducati Diavel .... told him here is the new "Diavel Killer" 

• Like 1
fourteenfour
9 hours ago, Ponch said:

That isn't it. That's a custom. Spy shots have shown something very different. 

Spy shots have shown a full dress tour on this engine but it does not mean BMW will not try to spread the development cost across different styles like they did with the R9. I could see a boulevard style cruiser as well for those who don't do long distance but just want the big twin with a completely different style. I am still surprised that BMW did not try a R9 like the seventies RS, a fairing without a bucket load of electronics

I really like this attempt at a cruiser style bike in that so many of the styling clues draw on historical BMW features from the '30s. The open drive shaft hard tail, inverted brake and clutch lever and topped off with the classic pin striping make the bike solidly a BMW and completely avoids a cloned HD look.  You sure wouldn't have to worry about having a wet seat on a sunny day at some HD gig like you might riding in on a metric cruiser.  A simple clean look in MHO is timeless styling and happens to be in trend right now. 

Practical - no, but it is very cool looking and at least it wouldn't a bone shaker like a narrow angle V engine would be.  If I were Jay Leno it would be in the fleet. As a regular guy who can have only a few bikes in the garage, it would not make the cut. I don't get into the urban trolling to the hot spot to be seen thing which this bike is as focused at as a Ducati Panigale V4 S is to the track. Both are what I call special tool class machines, they do one thing very well.

On 5/26/2019 at 7:06 AM, CommuterChris said:

Spy shots have shown a full dress tour on this engine but it does not mean BMW will not try to spread the development cost across different styles like they did with the R9. I could see a boulevard style cruiser as well for those who don't do long distance but just want the big twin with a completely different style. I am still surprised that BMW did not try a R9 like the seventies RS, a fairing without a bucket load of electronics

I am not. They probably think it would cut into sales of other models. If the R9 Urban GS had hard bag and topcase options, I would probably get that before the liquid cooled R1200s. The design differences are very deliberate. 

On 5/26/2019 at 7:51 AM, Paul De said:

I really like this attempt at a cruiser style bike in that so many of the styling clues draw on historical BMW features from the '30s. The open drive shaft hard tail, inverted brake and clutch lever and topped off with the classic pin striping make the bike solidly a BMW and completely avoids a cloned HD look.  You sure wouldn't have to worry about having a wet seat on a sunny day at some HD gig like you might riding in on a metric cruiser.  A simple clean look in MHO is timeless styling and happens to be in trend right now. 

Practical - no, but it is very cool looking and at least it wouldn't a bone shaker like a narrow angle V engine would be.  If I were Jay Leno it would be in the fleet. As a regular guy who can have only a few bikes in the garage, it would not make the cut. I don't get into the urban trolling to the hot spot to be seen thing which this bike is as focused at as a Ducati Panigale V4 S is to the track. Both are what I call special tool class machines, they do one thing very well.

I saw and heard a video of the 1800 and it sounded like it had an offet crank, more of a vtwin sound. Wouldn't surprise me. I can only have one bike in the garage, so it has to be able to do a lot. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:18 PM, Ponch said:

I saw and heard a video of the 1800 and it sounded like it had an offet crank, more of a vtwin sound.  

Hear it run at the 2:30 mark.

Ok yeah, there's some cool involved here!  :cool:  

fourteenfour

Well Indian will introduce their new water cooled 108ci V Twin in August with production to start then, the spy shots all show a Road Glide fairing styled bagger Indian Raptor and Cycle World has the motor diagrams

2020 is shaping up to be an interesting model year for motorcycles, perhaps the last big hurrah of the petrol burners

I am skeptical that BMW can meet EU and USA emissions requirements with an air-cooled, carbureted engine displacing 900cc per cylinder. Without liquid cooling of some sort, power output per liter will need to relatively low, perhaps on the order of 100 bhp, although the boxer layout avoids many of the cooling issues of a V-twin, such as a HD.

As a styling exercise, it's great, but I will be surprised if the production version doesn't go through a lot of changes to make it street legal.

28 minutes ago, Selden said:

I am skeptical that BMW can meet EU and USA emissions requirements with an air-cooled, carbureted engine displacing 900cc per cylinder. Without liquid cooling of some sort, power output per liter will need to relatively low, perhaps on the order of 100 bhp, although the boxer layout avoids many of the cooling issues of a V-twin, such as a HD.

As a styling exercise, it's great, but I will be surprised if the production version doesn't go through a lot of changes to make it street legal.

It's not carbureted. 

1 hour ago, CommuterChris said:

Well Indian will introduce their new water cooled 108ci V Twin in August with production to start then, the spy shots all show a Road Glide fairing styled bagger Indian Raptor and Cycle World has the motor diagrams

2020 is shaping up to be an interesting model year for motorcycles, perhaps the last big hurrah of the petrol burners

I wonder how much it will weigh. That's the big turn off for me with the cruisers. The weight does nothing positive. As far as HD goes, a primitive suspension to boot. 

The custom bike that started this topic definitely it is carbureted:

The newly designed two-cylinder 1800cc boxer engine is the heart of the bike. Appearance-wise, it looks like the flat twin engines from classic BMW bikes but updated for today. Solex dual carburetors are another callback to BMW history. Electronics are kept to a minimum, only on the starter and lights, in keeping with the purist approach.

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/bmw-motorrad-concept-r18/

The engine badge bears the name of the concept bike and emphasises the overall quality. In addition, Solex dual carburettors – similar to those in the BMW 2002 – hark back to the brand’s construction history and add the final touch to the bike’s visual authenticity.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/05/24/bmw-motorrad-concept-r18-will-make-its-world-debut-at-2019-concorso-deleganza-villa-deste/

From the article that started this thread:

The way you know it’s definitely a concept and not anything close to a test production bike from Motorrad? It’s carbureted, and has no electronics apart from an electric starter and its lights and turn signals. All of the shine you see on it apart from the exhaust pipes is polished aluminum.

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/351395/bmw-r18-concept-bike-wow/amp/

2 hours ago, Selden said:

And it's a custom bike, not production. The production one will have FI and a cat. 

fourteenfour
9 hours ago, Selden said:

The custom bike that started this topic definitely it is carbureted:

hell the custom bike doesn't even have an air box, why, because it isn't production.

I am still waiting to see if the claims pan out that the exposed shaft drive is something they are actually trying to pursue

16 hours ago, CommuterChris said:

hell the custom bike doesn't even have an air box, why, because it isn't production.

I am still waiting to see if the claims pan out that the exposed shaft drive is something they are actually trying to pursue

There are spy shots of the touring one. You'd think the mags that get the shots would get better pictures though. I guess we'll find out soon enough. 

The only difference I see from that angle is the big boxer jug on the right side of the motor.  Otherwise, I see a Glide.

7 hours ago, CommuterChris said:

If BMW's lawyers and safety bureaucrats have their say, that won't make the production, at least not on the US version

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Here's a pic. Hey, it looks like she Glides down the Street :5146: very nicely. :grin:

That would be sad if in the end BMW walks away from using their own iconic design features.

14 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

The only difference I see from that angle is the big boxer jug on the right side of the motor.  Otherwise, I see a Glide.

If BMW makes it, it has to be better functioning than a HD. 2-3" of suspension travel is hard on the back. You'd think for the scarole they get they could come up with a better suspension. Then again, BMW screws up stuff everyone else figured out, like water pumps, fuel level sensors, throttle pulleys...etc. 

• Like 1