IGNORED

Memorial Day

lawnchairboy

Joe Coastie

Remember what this holiday means, not the decision of what to put on the grill.

Take the time to set an extra plate, with silver ware, a cold drink, and a small American flag.

This is for those that can't be with us.

Something I want to say this time of year.  There are a few commercials on TV that play TAP's to start or end their commercial.  I know they mean well and mean it as a sign of respect for the fallen.  For me, I literally have to leave the room when TAP's is played.  I've heard it way too often real time.  The memories aren't pleasant.

I'm curious what others think when they hear TAP's.  It turns me back to times I don't care to relive.

Home of the free, because of the brave.

Thanks Vets...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I'm curious what others think when they hear TAP's.  It turns me back to times I don't care to relive.

Once for a family member is one too many,  every time I hear it it brings back a cold rainy day in January.  Instead of dwelling on the sadness I try to honor our brothers and sisters in my own quiet way.  Peace to you in your troubled times brother.

8 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I've been the one that told all present to "rise for honors" as me and the Marine standing across from me lift the flag off of the box.  I've been the one that has given the signal to play the last song of the dead, I've been the one to give the signal of the three round volley,....the last shots the dead will hear.  I've been the one to fold the flag in a methodical manner, kneel in front of the crying next of kin and present the flag with the words of "On behalf of the President of the United States, the Commandant of the Marine Corps and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of your loved ones faithful service to Country and Corps".  I stood, I saluted and I walked away.

• Like 4
On 5/24/2019 at 1:54 PM, TEWKS said:

I know I'm stepping into the wrong holiday here, but thank you for doing that, Richard. :thumbsup:

It was an honor.

• Like 1

I always attend the Memorial Day service at the Fort Benning Post Cemetery in an effort to pay my respects to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice many of which I had the honor to serve with.  It's a beautiful resting place for many of our nation's heroes. 

20190527_092440.jpg

20190527_092543.jpg

roadscholar

Posted in a different thread awhile back but more fitting here and today. St. Augustine National Cemetary.

ABB2CB49-6B39-4732-B6EB-F83DEBD2B613.thumb.jpeg.b127d299c619be550c2e1595cf0d2acd.jpeg

204AD725-3532-46FB-B891-06B8FA298C6B.thumb.jpeg.a77228c157dc2f82c8b2191655e653a1.jpeg