IGNORED

Disapointed I have fixed my bike.

Today I took my bike out for a quick ride.  For the past weeks I have had my bike in the basement wrapping as much of the wiring as I can get to with friction tape because the protective plastic tubes have rotted away.  This was started by my horn not working and state inspection due this month.  I had to add some additional wires as the horn wire was done for between the fuse box and the handle bar connector.  Also removed most of the unneeded police light wiring. I also flushed the brakes and clutch, changed the oil in the engine, transmission and final drive. Also adjusted the valves and pretension the alternator belt.  I also cleaned most of the connectors with contact cleaner and Deoxit.  When I got the gas tank on and pressurized the fuel system I had a fuel leak on the short fuel lines that connect the quick connects to the plastic fuel pipes.  So two more days in the basement to find the parts to fix this since this happened on Saturday.  Luckily I found hose at a non consumer auto parts store and the BMW/Mercedes dealer (former motorcycle dealer) actually gave me (no charge) crimp style hose clamps that fit.

So after this long and involved maintenance session I am board and missing working my bike.  Don't get me wrong I'd much rather be riding it but there was something I felt just working on the bike for hours at a time.  I would even forget to eat until my stomach reminded me.  Anyone else ever felt this?

No, not really.  You wanna come stay at my house for a couple weeks?  I can promise you 3 squares, a comfy bed, and all the mechanical joy you can stomach.

• Like 1

It must be an engineer trait. I bought my first beemer, a 2003 R1150RT, last November and spent the winter studying up on it and doing some repairs. I hit my self-imposed deadline of March 1 for getting the bike on the road. But afterwards I found it odd to be doing other stuff around the house and not be out in the garage monkeying with the bike.

szurszewski
1 hour ago, elkroeger said:

No, not really.  You wanna come stay at my house for a couple weeks?  I can promise you 3 squares, a comfy bed, and all the mechanical joy you can stomach.

He’ll only need two a day if you don’t remind him to have lunch ;)

greiffster

Nicol has come out to the garage on more than one occasion while I was tinkering on the bike.  She says "there's nothing wrong with that thing,... is there??"

She figured it out.

• Like 1

Haha.  11101110 & RogerC60,  you  don't realy want a BMW.  What you yearn for is a 60s through early 70s British motorcycle.  Especially, if the Btit bike still has the Lucas electrical system.  Between re-torquing all the nuts and bolts on a weekly schedule you can chase after unsolvable electrical quirks at any odd moment.  And they are a riot to ride for a day or two until the maintenance cycle starts again!  The bonus is you can spend evenings on the net chasing down Wentworth or British Standard wrench sets to work on your labor of love!

• Like 1

Or an AMF Harley - yeah, the brits had problems but nothing compares to the 1970's AMF Harleys for repair needs.

1 hour ago, Sonor said:

Or an AMF Harley - yeah, the brits had problems but nothing compares to the 1970's AMF Harleys for repair needs.

Check on that.  While it would be cool to have a boat tail, or a cafe racer sporty cause they are so rare the AMF years was a very dark period for the motor company.

• 1 month later...