IGNORED

Marty Hill's Europe Tour 2006

Francois_Dumas

thumbsup.gifwave.gifthumbsup.gifwave.gif ROTFLMAO!!!

Beat me on that one!!

Marty....you're gonna be in the same areas that I drove in 16 years ago.....gees I wish I could get back there!!

By the way....does that white stuff on the side of your head, act as reflectors??

You be careful over there..........

Pat

Marty Hill

Hey Mark,

Thanks a bunch. eek.gif

Pat,

I tried to brush all the snow off/must have missed some. grin.gif

Global_Rider
Alex,

Thanks, booked a room on Lago Di Garda.

I wonder which one. I stayed at Hotel Panorama high over Riva. A road that made a goat path look wide.

BTW, you have Hotmail with a 130 Kb attachment (Excel spreadsheet that I forgot to send you).

Also...

BMW 24 Hour Help Line

Inside Germany (toll free, I believe): 0180 2343234

Outside Germany: +49 89 2609909

Those numbers are current...just checked them.

Marty Hill

Hotel Toresela on the n. side of the lake. Will be there later today for 2 days then into umbria for a week/toscana for a week.

Thanks for all the numbers and ideas. thumbsup.gif

Jacqueline
Pics...got no pics, it's been raining. Pic tomorrow...I promise. dopeslap.gif

Okay Marty where's the pictures? grin.gif I haven't seen one yet eek.gif! And even your avatar is gone...what's up with that? grin.gif

Hope you're having a GREAT time clap.gif!

Jacqueline

Knighthawk

Marty left my house yesterday morning on his way to Italy, and I can see by the Blog that he has arrived.

It was such a pleasure meeting Marty and hosting him in our home.

Marty is the first person from the board that my wife and I have met.

It's tough being over here in Germany and reading about the Tech days, Beer, Brats and Beemers, Torrey, Gunnison and the dozens of other things shared by members here, it makes me feel somewhat detached. frown.gif

Not so much anymore after meeting Marty, thanks Marty, you helped me out more than just the mini tech day in my garage. thumbsup.gif

Next, I am going to try and get some time off and try and meet the crew from Amsterdam. wave.gif

Marty, thanks for coming, you are welcome in my home anytime, and that goes for anyone else, if you in the neighborhood, let me know, we have plenty of room.

Francois_Dumas

Well, Brian, given that we are more or less all riding BMW's - which are well suited for doing some distances - there is no reason why we could not meet somewhere in Europe from time to time, is there ? wink.gif

True, one needs spare time and petrol money for that, but I am sure we could work out something..... I'd hate you to feel abandoned while serving in our wonderful part of the world.... smile.gif

Marty Hill

Brian,

I really enjoyed my stay with you and Bella and Anka as well. grin.gif

The birthday party was wonderful. Thanks for everything. thumbsup.gif If you ever come to atlanta...mi casa is su casa. wave.gif

Jackie,

I am taking pics-some today but will have to wait till I see Francois in 3 weeks or so. I hope my finger wasn't in front of the lens. dopeslap.gif

I hope my finger wasn't in front of the lens. dopeslap.gif

More importantly Martay...be sure to turn the camera on, and remove the lens cap. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Keep the fun comin' buddy.

Francois_Dumas

ROFL !!!

And you noticed how he now cunningly put the blame on ME for not showing you pictures !?? smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gifgrin.gif

Marty, instead of riding together I'll give you a crash course in computer handling when you're here !! That'll teach ya ! tongue.gif

Marty Hill

The abuse I endure. dopeslap.gif Now I have to learn computers. Francois, if IBM couldn't teach me in all those years...I doubt that you can. grin.gif

Jacqueline

Marty, instead of riding together I'll give you a crash course in computer handling when you're here !! That'll teach ya ! tongue.gif

Francois,

After you teach Marty about the computer and pictures... wink.gif... work on teaching him to write more then five words at a time eek.gif. A picture is worth a thousand words...but from Marty we don't get any pictures and we're lucky to get five words out of him (written words.. grin.gif if you know what I mean... grin.gif).

Jacqueline

Francois_Dumas

Francois,

After you teach Marty about the computer and pictures... wink.gif... work on teaching him to write more then five words at a time eek.gif. A picture is worth a thousand words...but from Marty we don't get any pictures and we're lucky to get five words out of him (written words.. grin.gif if you know what I mean... grin.gif).

Jacqueline

Hi Jacqueline,

I am doing my best.

Actually, I 'think' I might have made some progress at it.... look at his latest blog entry..... at http://www.fssupport.com/marty

May 3rd was the longest story yet !! clap.gifclap.gif *grin*

Global_Rider
From Marty's Blog:

The drivers here are very interesting. Some try to push you off the road. When they pass they use half of the lane that you are in. So far I have managed to use most of the lane and encourage them to move over. One guy was so close to my rear that I waved him by on a curve when I saw a bus coming. It got very interesting. All ended well-I hope he learned something.

Relax Marty, it isn't at all as it appears.

One thing North America has is space, Europe doesn't. So when you have short straights and want to pass, you can't afford to hang 100' off the rear of the person you are trying to pass and then decide to do so.

Drivers there are far less "territorial" than they are here. There would be times I'd come up on a car and couldn't pass (my previous bike, an R65, had very little passing power) and on some roads that have "wider" lanes, the car would simply pull to the right with their right wheels on the line and let me by, even with oncoming traffic...we'd be three across. Nobody is going to wave a fist in the air at you.

I've had motorcyclists on sport bikes come towards me in my lane while passing; you simply move over a foot or two as they go burning by; a car and two bikes wide.

So when I'm riding the Alps and out smelling the roses and a car wants to pass me, I'll hug the right side of the lane and wave him through when possible.

It works both ways. On the autobahn, if the traffic is stopped, I lane split at a slow sensible speed to keep oil temps down. Drivers and the polizei have never given me a hard time and usually spread. On the autobahn as well, I've had cars moving at high speed just take their foot of the pedal to coast down because they saw I was coming up on a truck or bus in the right lane and timing would have put us both in the same space...actually, I'd have to put the binders on and then move in behind the car. But the car let me go first...think you'd ever see that here?

In the narrow pass roads when stuck behind slower cars, they pull over and sometimes even stop to let you by. I have an on-bike video of a tour bus that I'm following that put his right turn signal on for me as he slowed to let me by...in enough space for just a motorcycle. Same with the odd cars.

You'd never see any of the above happen here.

So trust me, nobody is trying to run you off the road and they're not out to get you. They're just trying to get somewhere.

So when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Marty Hill

Alex,

Slowly I am understanding what they are doing. I did split about 2 miles the other day on the autobahn. I wasn't really bothered...a bit surprised at first. All is very well. wave.gif

Knighthawk
Well, Brian, given that we are more or less all riding BMW's - which are well suited for doing some distances - there is no reason why we could not meet somewhere in Europe from time to time, is there ? wink.gif

True, one needs spare time and petrol money for that, but I am sure we could work out something..... I'd hate you to feel abandoned while serving in our wonderful part of the world.... smile.gif

Thanks Francois, I don't feel abandoned, I would really love to meet you and Nina one of these days. Miriam and Erick, too!

The few people that I ride with are German, the majority of Americans stationed here in Germany ride Harleys, and frankly, I have nothing in common with them other than the fact we are Americans.

They are all real nice to me now that I am the MSF Rider Coach for our community, and they have to go through me if they want to ride. grin.gif

bart_vanreeth

Hi Marty !

Glad to read you like it over here. Now that I read you work on RT's for food and lodging...I have a guestroom in my house in Belgium. wink.gif

You're always welcome. I'll be on a tour in central & mid-south of France 2nd, 3thd & 4th week of july.

Have lots of fun ! I'll be following you're trail on François' website

Francois_Dumas

Hi Bart,

Nina and I plan to be in France last week of July and 2 weeks in August.

I hope to have the bike with me, not sure yet if I can manage.

Lets stay in touch, France is a small country <grin>, we might meet up somewhere if itiniraries 'collide'

bart_vanreeth

Ok Marty thumbsup.gif great ! As american pay attention, Belgium is so small you might pass it without notice wink.gif (from north to south : 40 minutes, east to west : 3 hours)

SteveHebert

Marty,

You are one lucky bast... (edited for younger eyes)! There are so many people that talk about doing things in their lives, or that have to plan every detail of every day. What kind of a vacation is that?

I too conduct my vacations as you do. I have no plans to "do" anything or "go" anywhere. I find that when I have done that in the past, I end up seeing a tiny bit of a lot of things.

Each day is an adventure. Go where the wind takes you, and rest when your head is weary.

Keep on going and going........

Marty Hill

Steve,

Thanks, I am very lucky to have retired with a passion for riding and going places. I am even more lucky to have friends like you and all the others I've met on this site.

Finish that beautiful home, I will need the rest when I ride from fall torrey thru Eric F's to BBB. wave.gif

Marty Hill

Hi all,

Blog should continue on sat or sun. computer time has been hard to come by the past few days. wave.gif

Francois_Dumas

Let's face it... riding and visiting time is more important. But we ARE curious ! wink.gif

Global_Rider
Hi all,

Blog should continue on sat or sun. computer time has been hard to come by the past few days. wave.gif

What, you didn't subscribe to a satlink and bring a laptop?

The fact is, the more you take time to keep a blog going and to take pics, the less of "your" ride it is. It is work. Just taking pics which I do for the memories first and my website last, is work, especially after you got all your gear on again, only to come to a photo op a couple of hundred meters down the road. Crap, off comes the helmet and gloves, out come the camera and tripod.

The countdown has started, Marty. Right about now in two weeks I should be sipping on some real beer near Köln.

Global_Rider
There are so many people that talk about doing things in their lives...

And they worry far too much about the "what ifs". They worry so much about everything that they never end up doing anything. Sadly, they live the rest of their lives in their glass bubble.

Marty Hill

Hi Alex,

I see so many pics to take as I go by and say...the hell with it. Guess I'm just lazy. I have taken a few. Typed an hour on the blog yesterday-just as I hit save the computer burped and I assume all was lost. Will try again in a few minutes.

Never in a bubble!!! thumbsup.gif

Francois_Dumas
Hi Alex,

I see so many pics to take as I go by and say...the hell with it. Guess I'm just lazy. I have taken a few. Typed an hour on the blog yesterday-just as I hit save the computer burped and I assume all was lost. Will try again in a few minutes.

LOL !! I am the opposite..... stopping at the craziest places just to take photos.... to hell with riding !! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

We'll get it sorted somehow wink.gif

Marty, you can hit the Save and Continue button from time to time and then hit 'Publish' when you're all done.

That will prevent you fom loosing valuable prose !! thumbsup.gif

Global_Rider
LOL !! I am the opposite..... stopping at the craziest places just to take photos.... to hell with riding !! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I'm the same except I also get a good day of riding in, just that it makes for a long day. That is fine in Italy where you don't start eating till after 19:30.

Francois, I learned my lesson. There were times where I used to just blow by a photo op and tell myself I'll get it later. One year later, I would. Now I stop, take the pic and end up having a good chat with other riders.

Global_Rider

thumbsup.gif

Marty, that "non-existent" B&B that you mentioned...was that on my list? I didn't think I had any entries that far south and most were hotels/albergos.

But wasn't that road fun? I can picture it.

Just reading your comments, I can't wait. This being my 12th year over, I'm as excited as I was on my 1st.

Knighthawk

Francois, Miriam,

My better half and I are planning a trip to Amsterdam kinda short notice. We are planning on leaving here on the 26th and arriving in Amsterdam sometime in the afternoon. Return home Monday morning the 29th.

Any suggestions on a good Bed and Breakfast that is clean and relatively inexpensive, and mabe nearby you guys?

The dates aren't firmed up yet, but should be by tomorrow or Tuesday.

Global_Rider
Alex - What's your itinerary? Just wondering if there'd be a chance we could meet up in the Alps in June.

I'll be arriving in:

Heidelberg Monday May 29th,

Salzburg Tuesday or Wednesday May 30th/31st,

Rovereto Friday June 2nd,

Corsica probably June 9th for a week or a bit more,

After that I am open till the end of the first week in July.

I'd like to hit the passes in the NW part of Slovenia and then those in Kärten and Steiermark, Austria that I've missed. There a e a few in Italy and France as well, not that I won't ride those that I've taken a kazillion times...one more time. grin.gif

When and where will you be there? If you want me to call you, PM me with your cell.

Global_Rider
Alex, have a wonderful trip, and mabe our paths will cross this summer.

Well, were exactly are you located?

I used to take the A3, A9 and A8 from Köln to Salzburg, but now that I'm stopping in near Heidelberg at a friend's these past few years, its been the A3, A5 and A8 instead.

Post a pic of yourself and your mount. If you want me to call, PM me with your cell as well.

This is what me and my BMW look like (plus BMW System Cases), the Aerostich sticks out like a sore thumb in Europe...in the mountains east of Riva del Garda (Ronzo).

nearrivadelgardaitaly2lq.jpg

Francois_Dumas
Francois, Miriam,

My better half and I are planning a trip to Amsterdam kinda short notice. We are planning on leaving here on the 26th and arriving in Amsterdam sometime in the afternoon. Return home Monday morning the 29th.

Any suggestions on a good Bed and Breakfast that is clean and relatively inexpensive, and mabe nearby you guys?

The dates aren't firmed up yet, but should be by tomorrow or Tuesday.

I think Miriam/Erik may have netter knowledge of addresses around Amsterdam. The ONE country I do not travel much is Holland smile.gifblush.gif

You'll be here the same weekend Marty arrives !!! We should all meet up somehow !

I'll PM my contact details.. not that they are very secret grin.gifgrin.gif

Knighthawk

Here I am on the road up to the Spitzingsee.

4718627-M.jpg

If my plans go as expected, I will be on my way back from Amsterdam on the 29th when you arrive in Heidelberg.

I actually live about 30 km south-east of Nürnberg, near Neumarkt.

I will PM you with my cell number.

Francois_Dumas
Alex - What's your itinerary? Just wondering if there'd be a chance we could meet up in the Alps in June.

Marty and I are scheduled to leave for the French Alps on June 15th.... we should be in the 'area' from 17th till 22nd or so.

Global_Rider
Here I am on the road up to the Spitzingsee.

I thought that name rang a bell. I went to the end of that road last summer while enroute from Salzburg to Rovereto...the long way.

That must be the Schliersee in the background. I stayed at a B&B at the south end of that lake in Neuhaus in 1995.

Archived