IGNORED

Marty Hill's Europe Tour 2006

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

He hasn't seen this yet..... but the idea is that Marty will occasionally let us know where he IS and what he's doing. Any other interesting details he may want to share with us can also find a place on

..............his

..................... WEBLOG !!!!!

http://fssupport.com/marty

(Mark this in your browser..... and we'll all scold him if nothing new appears !!! smirk.gifsmirk.gif )

I am suppose to meet Marty in Heidelberg on the 28th and bring him to my house for the weekend. I will post pics if Marty won't.

So do I get a small yard sign or placard to put up indicating that Marty Hill slept at my house?

Looking foward to the 28th Marty. thumbsup.gif

Oh my...now I'm trapped into not being the laziest guy on the board. I promise to take pics and try to remember what I do at the end of each day. dopeslap.gif

Francois,

Thanks a bunch. thumbsup.gif

Brian,

As others have said...hide the sirlverware. grin.gif

Marty,

Get yourself over to the UK ......... I can't wait to introduce you to the pheasants ..........and christen the GS !! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Steve

....try to remember what I do at the end of each day. dopeslap.gif

Francois,

Thanks a bunch. thumbsup.gif

marty...we don't need that much detail...unless the fraulein agrees to pictures smirk.gif

Paul Mihalka
So do I get a small yard sign or placard to put up indicating that Marty Hill slept at my house?

If you plan on that placard, you might as well make a small production run of it. There is more than one house in the USA that could use it grin.gif OTOH Marty's house might need a add-on sign with a title: BMWST people who slept here. thumbsup.gif
Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
If you plan on that placard, you might as well make a small production run of it. There is more than one house in the USA that could use it grin.gif OTOH Marty's house might need a add-on sign with a title: BMWST people who slept here. thumbsup.gif

Paul,

That is a really great point. Marty sure has slept at a lot of BMWST homes, but he's also hosted a lot of BMWST regulars. We rib him a lot about it, but he really is generous in return.

Marty,

Have an awesome time, and post some pictures. We're all going to live vicariously through you.

Later,

Mark

No, but there used to be some WWMHD stickers floating around here somewhere. Maybe somebody will pop up with some?
skinny_tom (aka boney)

No, but there used to be some WWMHD stickers floating around here somewhere. Maybe somebody will pop up with some?

The only one I have a firm lock on the location of... is attached to the rear of the bike we bought from him.

...And yes, it did have an effect on my decision to ride from here to Tucson (and back) for the Mexico trip.

It seems to me I saw some extras of those "WWMHD" stickers rolling around in my tool box the other day! wink.gif

Brian,

As others have said...hide the silverware. grin.gif

Make that hide your Sock Monkey!!!

Now if I could just find that picture....

We'll be checking in on you Marty - safe & happy travels! smile.gif

Francois_Dumas

Brian,

As others have said...hide the silverware. grin.gif

Make that hide your Sock Monkey!!!

Now if I could just find that picture....

We'll be checking in on you Marty - safe & happy travels! smile.gif

This one???? ooo.gif

24539110-L.jpg

Very funny ...............

So .........Has Marty signed a deal to do a book ..........and when will the DVD be out ?? ........... and .............what will it be called ?????

Steve

SteveHebert

I agree with Paul. I could post one above the entrance to the Marty Hill suite when the house is finished grin.gif. He sure has slept around quite a bit with many board members tongue.gif

Mark Tuttle

What do Blanche DuBois ( Streetcar Named Desire) and Marty Hill have in common?

"Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers. "

In my almost 5 years here it has been truly wonderful. Started with Kathy and Laney visiting me. Great fun except for the pic. dopeslap.gif Guess I've been in about 30 different homes with my now best friends. And as Paul and Mark said, I've had that many stay with me. So many great memories. thumbsup.gif

I really enjoyed rescuing Steve Heberts daughter from the atlanta airport/taking her to dinner/waiting for dad and older sister to show up.

Got to ride from atl. to san diego with Leslie. Slept in the lower bunk bed at Gleno's. Eric F was in the upper. He's younger so I asked him to climb up there. grin.gif

Still feel guilty about Eric's son sleeping on the couch so the old bum could have a bed. How can I forget USAF1 riding my little 650gs from the dealer back to his house wondering how I could stand that tiny seat?

So many great memories. You guys and gals have made my life richer. Here's to a bunch more fun times. clap.gif

Next week I get to pester the euro group. eek.gif

Thanks all for the good wishes.

Firefight911

OK, so I think I get it now. You know that you have truly arrived when Marty shows up on your doorstep. Cool!

In some ways, Marty is our very own trunk monkey. He goes on loan to the 'membership' like a traveling/rotational trophy, as it were.

So, what does it take? An annual raffle drawing? An essay contest? Or is it like the secret handshake?

Well, let's stir it up and let it be known that I am the first one on this board to wish him a Happy Birthday, 6 days early!! (Hee, hee, I know he'll visit now!!) dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

Have a great trip and I look forward to the photos and ride tales.

Have a great trip Marty and you are always welcome at our place.

Now, you just need to buy little villas all over the world so we can visit you as you travel around.

Safe rollin!

Kirsten

p.s., the silverware never when missing, but I did end up with a smaller, leaky camelbac after one trade... thumbsup.gif um, how did that go again? Yep, Marty is the kind of guy you'd give your shirt to and be happy you did. Geez, what a salesmen! clap.gif

Have a good trip buddy, and DOCUMENT extensively. A European trip via moto (I was thinking RT, but maybe it should be a GS) is on my long term agenda for "one day". Someone's got to blaze the trail.

In some ways, Marty is our very own trunk monkey. He goes on loan to the 'membership' like a traveling/rotational trophy, as it were.

Marty's like our very own Stanley Cup. Parades and lots of media coverage expected on his arrival! wave.gif

Added your blog to my feed reader!

Will be a pleasure to receive you in my home if you come to this part of Spain!!

Good luck Marty, enjoy your trip, be safe. Regards,

Juan Miguel Venturello

Global_Rider

Francois,

I've just sent an e-mail to Marty's Hotmail account informing him that I have some files that he may find helpful during his tour.

If you see him before he gets to his Hotmail account, pass on this info.

If he has a Pocket PC running Windows Mobil, I have an accomodations list of motorcycle friendly places to stay in an MS Excel spreadsheet.

The same if he has a Garmin GPS. I've got those same accomodations in a Waypoints file.

The list contains just over 110 places to stay in Austria, France, Germany, Italy and Switzerland. I just started the list and it is being added to.

I also have a BMW Dealer listing for most of Europe in a Waypoints file.

Ask him if he can make use of that info.

Maybe we'll see you in June.

I'm here. wave.gif

Glad you made it safe and [some what] sound. thumbsup.gif

NOW START TAKING PCITURES! dopeslap.gif

cool.gif

Truly, another trip of a lifetime cool.gif

Global_Rider
Alex, I would be interested in those files myself. I can pass them to Marty, I am meeting him in Heidelberg tomorrow.

I'll e-mail them to the address you have in your profile later on this evening...my time, 03:00 your time Friday. Will your government e-mail address accept attachments? If not, send me another address to send them to.

Global_Rider
I'm here. wave.gif

I know you're "there", but where exactly is "here"?

Enjoy the food and especially the beer. Just thinking about it, I'm drooling.

Four weeks from today, I'll be on my way "there".

Marty.....you can forget it.....just concentrate.......think about all the new girls you're gonna meet....and the sheep.......and the pigs..... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Pat

Holder of 5 "Marty Hill Slept Here" badges thumbsup.gif

I'm here. wave.gif

Glad to hear that you made it over safely. Now get out there take pics and start posting them. Have fun you FF

Global_Rider
Alex, yes, send away, should be no problem.

Done! 3 + 9 map files sent to both you and Marty last night. Let me know if you got them.

Pics...got no pics, it's been raining. Can tell you it's a hoot to pull into the slow lane at 98.5 mph gps on the autobahn. Visited a bmw dealer today/love the GS info in german...hope Jamie can translate them for me at fall torrey. Pic tomorrow...I promise. dopeslap.gif

Dennis Andress

Can tell you it's a hoot to pull into the slow lane at 98.5 mph gps on the autobahn

When I was stationed am Frankfurt my R90S would slosh the fuel to the back of the tank and cavitate the petcocks as I accelerated onto a bahn and up to speed. Pulling ahead of a big Mercedes and then running out of gas and having to switch to reserve is a hoot of a different kind.

Ride good Marty, and hurry up with those pictures.

Dennis

Gelstra,

The 12GS has a lot left at that speed. go to torrey and find out/after you get one/unless you already have one. grin.gif

Global_Rider
98.5 mph

How did the bike feel at that? Did it feel like it had plenty of legs left or was it winded?

I was just discussing BMW transmissions with another owner last weekend.

He was saying how first was too tall on his R1150 GS; he chose what BMW Canada calls the Sport transmission.

I opted for the Enduro transmission on both my R1150 GS Adventures and I'm gald I did. In fact, 1st gear could even be lower for my Alps riding.

BMW has it all wrong. What they should have is a transmission with the low 1st of the Enduro and the tall 6th of the Sport. This is especially what one needs in Europe for the Alps and the Autobahn.

Francois_Dumas

I am 'here' too again ('Here' being home in Holland now).

We passed you 80 clicks to the north yesterday, coming from Vienna and passing south of Frankfurt towards Wiesbaden and then Koln.

Welcome in Europe..... and try and get a 'test' message on that Blog !! <grin>.

Weather was horrible most of the way yesterday and we came from a 26 C 'summer' back into 8 C 'Dutch Winter'!!!

Hope it gets beter soon... saw lots of brave riders battling the wind and rain/hail yesterday !

Let us know where 'here' is at various times ! grin.gif

Francois wave.gif

Global_Rider
Let us know where 'here' is at various times ! grin.gif

Hi Marty,

Yes, that would be a good idea, and let us know where you plan to be in the next day or two.

Being the free spirit that I am, I realize that this is "your" tour, but we'd hate to have you miss a good road or sight close to your planned route.

It'll always be "your" choice.

Have fun and enjoy what I consider to be some of the best riding in the world. thumbsup.gif

At the giant BMW store in nurnburg yesterday. Rode north of there today in some beautiful country. Tomorrow down to salzburg to try one of Alex's bike friendly gasthouses.

Took a pic today. Will get on the blog after dinner...Francois, the pressure is killing me. dopeslap.gif

Francois_Dumas

Took a pic today. Will get on the blog after dinner...Francois, the pressure is killing me. dopeslap.gif

Hahaha !! That had me laughing out loud here !

Don't worry Marty... don't let me nag you.... have FUN !

If I'd known you would go to Salzburg I'd have had a great Gasthof for you too..... slept there two years ago.

Make sure to get some of the Mozart Kugeln somewhere.. good energy and delicious.... just don't choke on the things ! grin.gifgrin.gif

Hi all, Marty is really here.

Here are our bikes in my garage, I made Marty earn his stay by giving me a mini tech day on Saturday

67061842-L.jpg

We went for lunch and a nice ride up through the "Franconian Switzerland" and stopped in Goessweinstein.

Ignore the fat dork on the right. dopeslap.gif

67061831-L.jpg

Here is a better picture of my better half and Marty in Goessweinstein.

67062828-L.jpg

Yes everybody, Marty is really in Germany. We are planning on heading out tomorrow to Weltenberg near Kehlheim to the monestary and sample the beer and eat lunch.

Will post a few more pics tomorrow.

I took a picture today of the beautiful church in the background. No sense in posting both pics showing the same church. grin.gif

Global_Rider
Tomorrow down to salzburg to try one of Alex's bike friendly gasthouses.

Marty,

This may be a bit late...

I don't have this one on that list, but I stayed there last year and it was excellent. (I normally stay at a B&B run by an older lady, but she was in the hospital).

Hotel Hölle Gasthof. Hotel Hell, fitting as it is right next to the cemetary. grin.gifMap

The owner rides a HD and let me use his locked storage room for my motorcycle. He also knocked €5 off the room rate taking it down to €55, the highest I've ever paid in my 11 years touring there, BUT it was worth it; a modern spacious room and one hell of a buffet breakfast.

Also, it is right on the 5 bus route into town; a 5 minute ride.

Those pics take me home...24 days to go.

Nice "Do" Marty, but I thought I would let you know that your oatmeal I saved from last year now has more fuzz eek.gif

67062828-L.jpg

BTW, good news. Anna Nicole won here Supreme Court case. Your dearly departed "twin seperated at birth" can now RIP as you and Anna are free to date in the style you're accustomed to. grin.gif

_937569_annanicole300.jpg

Archived