IGNORED

Michelin Pilot Power - treadlife question

kingpinofdisks

kingpinofdisks

My Metzler z6 blew about a month ago.

The only tire available within 10 miles or so was a Michelin Pilot Power. I didn't recognize the tire (yea, dumb of me not to do research before now).

I am now reading that the Michelin Pilot Power may not last long. My z6 metzler rear lasted about 8500 miles or so.

Do I have hope of getting 8500 from this Pilot Power? I wear tires right down the middle, since I only get 1 day of sport riding in a week. The other 5 days (assuming no rain) are all high speed, freeway miles.

In case you are wondering, the Michelin Pilot Power sticks like Velcro. I still have the Metzler me-z4 on the front, and I think it will let go before the rear lets go - scary feeling, actually. Makes me wish I had the cash to upgrade the front tire to the pilot.

And yes, I think I might buy the next tire in advance, rather than ride steel belt until the tire can't hold air any more.

I'm not sure about life on the heavier RT but on a GSX-R1000 you can expect ~4k miles on the Powers. But yes they do stick like glue. I use them during my road racing on my CBR600F4i. They are that good.

russell_bynum

The Pilot Power is a phenominal sport/trackday tire, but it's not going to last for squat on a heavy RT. I'd be astounded if you got 4,000 miles out of it.

In case you are wondering, the Michelin Pilot Power sticks like Velcro. I still have the Metzler me-z4 on the front, and I think it will let go before the rear lets go - scary feeling, actually. Makes me wish I had the cash to upgrade the front tire to the pilot.

Don't worry about it. The Mez4 will stick all the way down to the valve covers....it is already massive overkill on an RT.

There are a couple of sets of Michelin Macadams on ebay right now. One is #4632648165. The ad says these are the precursors to the Pilot. Starting bid about $170 for both 100x and 90x.

Bob

There are a couple of sets of Michelin Macadams on ebay right now. One is #4632648165. The ad says these are the precursors to the Pilot. Starting bid about $170 for both 100x and 90x.

Bob

FYI...that ebay description says RT and RS. And lists the tire sizes as:

"The sizes for this auction are 120/70ZR17 front and 160/60ZR18 rear.

I can't speak for the RS, but that is NOT the stock rear tire size for the RT. The tire sizes for an 1150RT are:

Front tire - 120/70R17 tubeless steel-belted radial

Rear tire - 170/60R17 tubeless steel-belted radial

Regards,

Mike O

russell_bynum

I can't speak for the RS, but that is NOT the stock rear tire size for the RT. The tire sizes for an 1150RT are:

The R1100RT/RS have an 18" rear wheel.

The ad says these are the precursors to the Pilot.

To the Pilot Road, not the Pilot Power.

The Macadams weren't supposed to be good tires if memory serves. The Pilot Road's on the other hand were my fav's on the RT.

The R1100RT/RS have an 18" rear wheel.

Thanks...The OP has an 2004 1150RT, but anyone looking for tires on the older RT/RS might be able to use those tires.

BTW, I've heard that tires don't stay very well in storage (the ebay listing is for Michelins that are at least 2yrs out of production.) I would guess that the rubber compound loses its resiliance over time (regardsless of if its mounted or not). Is 2 years in storage something to be of concern? And what about warranty (if any)?

Regards,

Mike O

P.S. I'm not in the market for Michelin Macadams. I thought they sucked.

It all depends on how it was stored. If it was stored in a cool dry place out of the sunshine, 2 years is nothing.

If it was stored outside in the elements, ya 2 years is something to think about.

Archived