IGNORED

Engine doesn't respond to throttle

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

Hi y'all.... This is the second time this happens to my 'as new' GS (2017 1200GSLC with only 2600 km's).... When driving along suddenly I cannot throttle up anymore.... The engine remains running stationary... and there is a yellow warning triangle on the dash (duh!). 

Happened once last year on the highway.... I solved it after switching off the contact for a few minutes and then restart. 

Today on my 4th ride this year (Don't ask) it happened again... yesterday no problems at all. I only rode down the hill, 5 miles, and it stopped responding. Yellow triangle was alight. Trundled to a parking in second gear and stopped the engine and ignition. After a few seconds switched it back on, started.... all okay. 

Then 15 minutes later it happened again. Restarted.... throttle worked but now the Yellow warning remained ON. 

After 400 yards lost throttle again and now yellow engine sign came on too, as well as the yellow triangle. 

Had to switch off and on a few times now for the Yellow triangle to disappear..... but the yellow engine remained ON! 

Decided to return home (there are no dealers around here) and coasted via small country roads. Yellow engine remained on, but apart from that everything seemed normal. 

Once home (total trip some 20 miles) I switched off and then switched on again to make some photos of the dashboard.... And now of course all lights stayed off!!!!!!!!! 

Did another 20 mile tour and everything is back to normal, as it was yesterday. 

I know the software is not Microsoft, but still..... 🤣🤣🤣

Anyone else had this kind of mysterious problem!? 

2 hours ago, Francois_Dumas said:

Hi y'all.... This is the second time this happens to my 'as new' GS (2017 1200GSLC with only 2600 km's).... When driving along suddenly I cannot throttle up anymore.... The engine remains running stationary... and there is a yellow warning triangle on the dash (duh!). 

Happened once last year on the highway.... I solved it after switching off the contact for a few minutes and then restart. 

Today on my 4th ride this year (Don't ask) it happened again... yesterday no problems at all. I only rode down the hill, 5 miles, and it stopped responding. Yellow triangle was alight. Trundled to a parking in second gear and stopped the engine and ignition. After a few seconds switched it back on, started.... all okay. 

Then 15 minutes later it happened again. Restarted.... throttle worked but now the Yellow warning remained ON. 

After 400 yards lost throttle again and now yellow engine sign came on too, as well as the yellow triangle. 

Had to switch off and on a few times now for the Yellow triangle to disappear..... but the yellow engine remained ON! 

Decided to return home (there are no dealers around here) and coasted via small country roads. Yellow engine remained on, but apart from that everything seemed normal. 

Once home (total trip some 20 miles) I switched off and then switched on again to make some photos of the dashboard.... And now of course all lights stayed off!!!!!!!!! 

Did another 20 mile tour and everything is back to normal, as it was yesterday. 

I know the software is not Microsoft, but still..... 🤣🤣🤣

Anyone else had this kind of mysterious problem!? 

Afternoon  Francois_Dumas

Without any GS911 failure codes it is a guessing game. From what you describe your bike sounds like it has a problem with the electronic throttle control.  

Might be a loose connection, or poor wire connection, or something in the throttle assembly, or ?????

Check the TPS connections on each throttle body (BMW has had some TPS failures on the 1200wc bikes)

Could even be something unrelated but causing the throttle to quit responding.

Unless you get lucky & fund something loose then you either need a GS-911 or a trip to the dealer.

• Thanks 1

yes this has happened to me twice. The fist time on the highway at 75mph bike goes into limp mode drops to about   10 mph. Called for a tow took it to local BMW dealer Livermore CA they stated the code cleared and I was good to go I stated that this is a very dangerous situation as dropping to 10 mph on the highway is very dangerous. Service manager stated nothing he could do as the code cleared. I called the BMW customer service number do not waste your time as they do not know a motorcycle from a pogo stick. The second time I was lucky it happened on a country road was able to pull over safely and again call for a tow took it to another dealer this time and the problem was fixed have not had any issues since. What you have might be a life endangering situation until you get it fixed. I do believe the throttle sensor was to blame.

• Thanks 1
Francois_Dumas

Do you know what the second dealer did to resolve it!? It is e actly what happened to us too.. 

Francois_Dumas
2 hours ago, pdpwcd said:

yes I called the dealer they replaced the throttle sensor and grip part#61318552124

Many thanks for taking the time to check and reply, much appreciated. Will take her to the dealer as soon as the bad weather clears!! 

• 1 month later...

Mine just started doing this same thing, very dangerous on the freeway when your bike just shuts down instantly with absolutely no warning.  

I had it happen once on my 2018 R1200RT a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping a fault code shows up when I go to my dealer for the next service.