IGNORED

Test Rides/Drives

TEWKS

I test rode a new GSA a couple of weeks ago, really loved it. But then again, two wheels and I'm usually smiling. Anyway, if I get the chance tomorrow (time might be tight) I think I'm going to ride a new DCT Goldwing. If I don't report back with pics, it didn't happen...yet. :grin:

If you get the chance to ride/drive something new or new to you, post it up, I think it would be an interesting read. :thumbsup:

Yeah, cages are included. :/

• Like 1
fourteenfour

I am looking at taking a Zero SR/F out the week of Memorial Day. My desire to actually buy one has dropped off significantly after reviews from serious lack of range if ridden aggressively or at speed.

• Like 1

About 5 years ago I did a test ride of a F700GS low suspension from BMW Atlanta and fell in love with the bike. Last year, my wife did a 7-day 2-up tour of southern Italy, and I specifically asked for a F700GS. After 1100 miles, I was certain it was the right step for me, except for the low seat, which I fixed with a sheepskin butt pad.

Nothing beats an extended test ride if you can finesse one.

• Like 2
Bill_Walker

Test ride an Indian in May and they'll give $50 to the Call of Duty Endowment, an organization that supports career training for veterans.  No FTRs yet, though.

• Like 1

One of the first real warm & sunny Saturdays of the season. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be pretty out there. 

Had a time restraint on the back side of it too which doomed the mission.

17 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

Test ride an Indian in May and they'll give $50 to the Call of Duty Endowment, an organization that supports career training for veterans.  No FTRs yet, though.

I wonder if they'll make a ST around the 1200 engine? That might be cool. The big twins are ok, but here in AZ, they'd probably cook the rider. Then there is the weight issue. I can handle it, but it does little or nothing positive for the performance of the machine. 

Had a go on this a couple of weeks ago while my R1200RT was in for service & tyres.

Had a days riding on it, 150+ miles, very tall seat! Could only just flat foot & I'm 6' 2" with 32" inside leg.

Very chuckable, good acceleration but quite vibey throughout the rev range. Interesting to try but felt like sitting on a knife edge.... think I'm too used to comfort. 😁

20190501_085542.jpg

• Like 1

We leave on May 30th for Americade in Lake George NY.   This Rally has the most demo teams of any I've ever been to.   You can demo ride most any bike built.   It is worth the trip if there is a new bike you want to ride.   It is also a great motorcycle event with a very diverse variety of bikes in attendance. 

• Like 1
On 5/17/2019 at 7:10 AM, TEWKS said:

If you get the chance to ride/drive something new or new to you, post it up, I think it would be an interesting read. :thumbsup:

I was down south (Marietta, GA) for a few weeks, and test-drove a few 2018 RTs -- and eventually bought one.

IMG_3426.thumb.JPG.37a2ca257206b3384df8ca3f3cf5ab57.JPG

I learned a few things in negotiations with dealers on these bikes:

* They're very motivated to sell these last-year bikes.

* As of a week ago, several dealers in the south had them and wanted to sell them: Atlanta (Marietta) GA, Huntsville AL, Tampa FL.

* They've really discounted the bikes.

* When the dealer designates a bike as a "Demo bike", they get a significant discount from BMW and they need to put a certain number of miles on the bikes (between 250 and 750 at different dealers).  I was able to ride a couple of these demo bikes, and put about 200 miles on them through the mountains of southern TN and north GA.

If you're considering one of these bikes, I'd suggest checking with these dealers.  You can probably get one fully loaded for around $19,000 out-the-door (I did), and may be able to get other incentives.

I thought my 2013 RT was an amazingly fun bike to ride, but this 2018 model feels so much more nimble and comfortable, and has several useful new options.

• Like 2

Well, I got my Goldwing demo in today. It wasn't the DCT model but hey, beggars... My initial impression is the motor isn't as smooth as the last gen, now saying that we're still talking goldwing here IYKWIM. It was very easy to ride meaning balanced like a top. The seat may start to bite after a bit not sure, 20 miles in and my arse was beginning to say hey, what a bout me. :grin: As George Carlin would have put it..A fine & dandy motorbike it is. :grin: :thumbsup:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The RT is a tough act to follow. :thumbsup:

image.jpeg

Quick call a Doctor, I turned down a test ride today! :D I rode up to Max BMW just for peek-sees and in doing so, passed Seacoast HD. I saw the demo tent set up so I doubled back and pulled in. I would have taken an Ultra Limited out for a spin but it wasn't in the offering. Anyway, I passed & continued up to Max's but darn it, they were closed for the holiday weekend. 

Can you tell me something about this motorcycle? ;)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Ultra Limited is a great bike!   When I was working and trying to ride all the lower 48 states each year I would fly to Kansas City and rent a Harley from Gail's Harley in Grand View, MO.   So for about 5 years I rented a Harley Ultra Limited.  If I were to buy a Harley THAT would be what I would buy.  It is a great bike and very comfortable on the road.  It really is in its element on the wide open interstate out west.  It packs easy with lots of storage.   Has all the creature comforts and is very user friendly.   There are a LOT of used Ultras as great prices so I would never buy new.   I rented the 96" motor and then the 103" HP motor and the 103 was a BIG improvement.   And when they did the Rushmore update they really fixed all the worts on the bike.   And for a big ass touring bike it handled the Colorado passes very well.   It is just a big ass bike and a handful around town, in parking lots and gas stations.   But on the open road it is sweet! 

• Like 1

Great info and pics Ed! :thumbsup: Now about those pictures I posted, there is something about that "motorcycle" that is kind of hidden from view. :5146:

Antimatter

I test rode the F750GS.  The track day provider I ride with is partnered with a local BMW dealer, who offers test rides at the track.  I got to take the 750 out for a handful of laps.  It was way too soft for the track, but the quick shifter was a lot of fun (I think I need one for my track bike).  It's a nice ride, and if someone is looking for a very competent middle weight, and that someone is also short of leg, the 750 is a definite possibility.  For me, there's nothing this bike does that would make me want to switch from my current ride.

IMG_3016.jpg

HA!   Yep ... every stop is usually related to something edible :18:

Donuts for the first one and the 2nd photo I recall specifically is a gas stop cafe in Nebraska where highway 61 meets highway 2 north of Ogallala.    A great stop with homemade cheeseburgers and friendly people!   Have stopped there a few times as highway 61 is one of my favorite mid-west roads. 

fourteenfour

The 2019 Trikes have ABS and traction control finally plus they now use the Showa shocks. I drove a 17 Triglide and it just wasn't fun. I have not ridden a 19 but like the regular HDs move to Showa shocks it should be night and day. Still has the worlds worst sounding reverse; its the starter motor and it sounds as if you were trying to start a running bike.

I pretty much have no interest in this style of trike for road use, but should have taken it out anyway. They were firing up the grill with free burgers & dogs. I would have saved $27 bucks :eek: on a Lobster roll & onion rings.  

IDK about the HD. Had two spine surgeries in the last 8 months and haven't been on a bike yet. 3" of rear suspension travel, at best, doesn't sound like a good idea. I had a Nomad before the RT and bumps that would jar me on the Nomad were hardly noticeable on the RT. 

Bill_Walker
4 hours ago, Ponch said:

3" of rear suspension travel, at best, doesn't sound like a good idea. I had a Nomad before the RT and bumps that would jar me on the Nomad were hardly noticeable on the RT. 

That was one of my reasons for switching from a Road King to the '04 RT, even though I also had the V-Strom in the garage.  That, and I was wearing down the edges of the floorboards. :grin:

Agree that the suspension is the weakness for HD's land yacht class machine, a price to pay for low saddle height,  but the ergos, even with the stock saddle, make it the  barcalounger  king on the superslab.  Polaris is pushing the motor company to up its game on suspension so it may result in an ultimate big touring bike as this platform evolves.  I however will never fully appreciate the big hawg because I will always favor a lighter touring bike that has better handling in the twisties. TETO.

39 minutes ago, Paul De said:

Agree that the suspension is the weakness for HD's land yacht class machine, a price to pay for low saddle height,  but the ergos, even with the stock saddle, make it the  barcalounger  king on the superslab.  Polaris is pushing the motor company to up its game on suspension so it may result in an ultimate big touring bike as this platform evolves.  I however will never fully appreciate the big hawg because I will always favor a lighter touring bike that has better handling in the twisties. TETO.

I could handle the weight, I just don't see what it does for any bike, to a point. To me, the RT is fairly light. Some pine for a 450lb sport tourer. Pass. Ergos matter to me.  Besides the spine problems, I am 6'5. Crampt bikes don't appeal to me either. Weight aside, HD should be able to make a touring bike with 4-5" of rear suspension travel. Indian is better in that respect, but the roadmaster is 950lbs. That's insane. Even the Gold Wing went on a diet. 

• 4 weeks later...

Assume low trade quote? Have you checked other dealerships? Oh, there's nothing wrong with a little taste of Italy every now and again! :grin:

Yeah, $9250... I want to ride the Multi before trying another dealership...I liked a '15 Multi but it was plagued with a bunch of niggles so I bought an RT. Not unhappy with it, but do like to trade now and then.

• Like 1