IGNORED

dead electrics

Tawera

Hi all,

New BMW rider here in trouble with dead electrics. I have recently got a '95 R1100RT which has just been serviced. I was giving it a ride out when it suddenly started to run unevenly and a slight whine from front left. I pulled over and checked things, noticed I was low on fuel but gauge said a third full. I pit in some spare fuel from a can then tried to restart it and it spluttered a bit but wouldn't properly go then the electrics died completely. The fuses are all ok but when I turn the key there is nothing. I'd be really grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Michaelr11

Always consider the most recent work done on the bike.  So, what did you have serviced? 

If you are turning on the ignition key and nothing is lighting up, look at the battery cable connections. Is the RID, rider information display, also now dead? No clock?

Hi

Thanks for replying. When I turn the key there is nothing, no clock or anything. The battery itself is a brand new one and has charge and the service was a full one inc new alternator belt. I have done 250 miles on it since the service and it was running well.

I may have to consider taking it back to the bmw people but wanted to see if there was anything obvious. I am going to try and check the relay today.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Tawera said:

Hi

Thanks for replying. When I turn the key there is nothing, no clock or anything. The battery itself is a brand new one and has charge and the service was a full one including new alternator belt. I have done 250 miles on it since the service and it was running well.

I may have to consider taking it back to the bmw people but wanted to see if there was anything obvious. I am going to try and check the relay today.

Cheers

Morning Tawera

Not enough info to tell you conclusively but it sort of points to a dead battery. With a new battery & now dead  electrics, plus a new alternator belt, that would be the place to start looking.

If you have a battery charger then maybe try charging your battery, if it then starts & the electric's work you might getting it back to the servicing dealer to verify that the alternator belt was installed correctly  & that they didn't damage the alternator during the new belt install.  

Thanks.

I have put the battery on to charge but it indicated it did have charge anyway.

I'll keep trying though.

It sounds kinda like you've lost your battery ground. Do you have a voltmeter? If so, check your battery voltage. Then check from the positive terminal to a spot on the frame. Try a few spots if you don't get a reading at first. The numbers should match. 

Thanks for the advice guys. I tested the battery with my multimeter and got zero volts. Looks like it has died and the garage is sending me a replacement. Just hope that that fixes it and there is nothing else. Cheers