IGNORED

Route Suggestions from DC to Dunham's Bay

Endobob

I made the trip to Dunham's Bay Resort last Fall and told myself I would not again make the long boring ride on interstates.

Planning 2 days up and 2 days back to the UnRally from DC with as little time on interstates as possible.   Any suggestions of roads or routes most welcomed. :thumbsup:

What day are you planning on leaving from DC?  I can assist from PA going north but I can't think of any good way to get to PA from DC.  If you can get to my area I have a nice route from just north of Philly to Dunham's Bay. I am heading north on Sunday.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Little John, were you going to post those route(s) or road suggestions in PA and NY?  Totally foreign lands to me!  Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Id's_OK said:

Hey Little John, were you going to post those route(s) or road suggestions in PA and NY?  Totally foreign lands to me!  Thanks. 

Where are you coming from?

My wife and I made the mistake of riding through back roads in eastern PA and western NJ, trying to follow the Delaware River to its origin on a trip to New England a few years ago, with Hancock, NY our first night's destination, only 210 miles from New Castle, DE, but small town traffic and congestion for the first 150 miles made it a frustrating day. If I had to do it over again, I would go as far west as practical to avoid the congestion of eastern PA/NJ/NY.

2 minutes ago, Selden said:

My wife and I made the mistake of riding through back roads in eastern PA and western NJ, trying to follow the Delaware River to its origin on a trip to New England a few years ago, with Hancock, NY our first night's destination, only 210 miles from New Castle, DE, but small town traffic and congestion for the first 150 miles made it a frustrating day. If I had to do it over again, I would go as far west as practical to avoid the congestion of eastern PA/NJ/NY.

Rode 275 miles through there yesterday.  There are ways around most of the bad spots. You just have to know where they are.

roadscholar

Bob, there are many ways to do this and locals could likely improve on it, but I just drew up something for fun that if it were me I might give a shot using the parameters you described. There is some interstate to keep you moving but mostly it's older 2 and 4 lanes. I've ridden to Watkins Glen a few times veering off I-81 at Harrisburg and going up the Susquehanna (either side works) but 15 (west side) is pretty much 4 lanes and probably faster. At some point you have to start heading Northeast so at I-80 I picked up US 220 then some smaller roads thru the hills and mtns. Disclaimer, I haven't ridden any of it from that point (except the very last down into L.G.) although I'd probably try them just on intuition and how they look on a map,  but that's how I roll : )  Two days should be easy..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XlNY8q--LqArbEP5M0O_rqxTIrjTXAjc&usp=sharing

3 hours ago, Id's_OK said:

Alabama, by way of VA.

Christopher,

Coming up through Virginia I would not come further east than I-81.  You might even take in some of the BRP depending on how much time you have.  Once you are up in PA the route Roadscholar put up would be a good one, it depends on your daily miles and travel time. .  If you come east in PA there are a few choices we could look at.  Heck, If you come over to my neck of the woods by Saturday I could  put you up for the night and we could take my route up Sunday, it is about 5 hours.  I am just south of Allentown PA.

Thank you Bill @roadscholar and John @ltljohn for your suggestions.   Mark @Marcopolo and I are planning on this route: Home-Towanda-Lake George UnRally '19.GPX on our way to the UnRally with an overnight stop in Towanda, PA.  May take Bill''s suggestion for return to DC.

Edited by Endobobdds
  • Like 1

Nice route Bob,  If you want to run up the Hawks Nest you need to adjust south.  From Honesdale PA stay on US6 to I84, cross the river to Port Jervis NY get off at the first exit and get on US6 West and go through Port Jervis and look for the signs to Route 42 and 97  This will take you up through the Hawks Nest.

https://goo.gl/maps/NshbjSdxtszcdTmL6

• 2 weeks later...
roadscholar
4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Oh man, Towanda, so close to Shunk ... home of my new superhero Fast Eddie Fisher. :revit:

That little back road Eddie was riding, Hwy 154 looked really nice and didn't go unnoticed. Checking closer it crosses the route I posted at Laporte and isn't that far to Shunk. When I used to go to Watkins Glen I always veered off 15 onto 14 toward Elmira and missed Shunk by just a mile or two, dangit if I'd only known   : )

• Like 1

Went through Shunk, PA today - required 1 & 1/2 hours of dirt and gravel roads.  Not much their but nice day of riding!

• Like 1