IGNORED

Riding pants

dave_albany

dave_albany

I am one one of the newbees to BMW and the reasons for some of the gear.

Specificaly, the pants. Is it just a safty issue, or is comfort improved too.

Thanks Dave-

just started wearing tourmaster cortech over pants, super, fantastic, comfortable, no wind, rain repelant, cool. plus I like the alot.

tony

I bought a pair of leather pants 2 inches too big for me and had zippers put along the outside of each leg from the knee to the bottom. I wear these pants over my normal clothing. The total cost for the pants and zippers installed was only about $100.00. So far they work great until it gets up in the upper 80's. Then they are warm--not hot, just warm.

I'm searching for a pair of mesh pants to go with my mesh warm weather jacket for those really hot days.

Terry cool.gif

just started wearing tourmaster cortech over pants

Ditto that. Road home in a dwonpour the other day. Stayed nice and dry.

PS. Terry, I also use their Air pants for the warm stuff.

I find that my "boys" get increasingly uncomfortable in jeans. Proper riding pants, in my case Dainese, and I'm comfortable all day.

I am one one of the newbees to BMW and the reasons for some of the gear.

For me it is primarily a safety choice. Very few things will protect you in a high speed slide like a decent set of textile/armoured pants.

However, there is something to be said for the convenience of all-weather comfort on a long tour. Since we ride 2 up, space is at a premium so we try and get buy with maximum versatility in everything we carry.

Under my pants I wear cycling shorts for improved comfort on long hot days or a pair of long underwear in cooler weather.

It's a personal choice. Some riding pants have a bit of padding in the seat so comfort might be enhanced. Apart from that, it's a safety issue. Like seat belts, it's all about how much margin of safety you want.

I have three different riding pants

- Draggin' jeans with full Kevlar panels in the knees and seat (summer, around town)

- Mesh pants with armour in the knees and hips (summer, more than around town)

- Ballistic pants with armour in the knees and hips (cool/cold weather)

Some day, and that day is coming sooner than later, a one-piece Roadcrafter will replace several two-piece set ups for me. Some day.

Archived