IGNORED

Gerbing Jacket wiring?

Hiawatha

I finally have my R1200ST and gerbing's heated jacket. I Streetguard Jacket (3/4 lenght). I am looking for advice on routing the wiring & heat controler. Now I have the wires hanging out the bottom of the jacket and am tucking the controler in a pocket then wedging the excess wire bitween the seats. There has got to be a better way than getting tangled up in the wire and killing myself while trying to adjust the heat.

The upside is it all works great. I am warm with a big sh*teati' grin! Any advice to help me keep my grin would be appreciated. Thanks tongue.gif

I ran the wires up between the gas tank and the seat. I clipped the controller to the outside of the lower jacket pocket on the left.

That way I make my adjustments while I'm stopped or cruising without much difficulty.

Oh and remember to pack enough layers just incase your gerbing goes dead you won't freeze your a$$ off smirk.gif

I ran the wires up between the gas tank and the seat. I clipped the controller to the outside of the lower jacket pocket on the left.

That way I make my adjustments while I'm stopped or cruising without much difficulty.

Oh and remember to pack enough layers just incase your gerbing goes dead you won't freeze your a$$ off smirk.gif

I connected the Gerbing's included wire direct to the battery. When not in use, the pigtail tucks down out of sight under the seat and stays there.

Then, I placed a small 1" square of dual-lock (like heavy duty velcro) on the tank, just above the front of the seat. It isn't really visible. And, another patch of it on the controller. When I'm going to need the Gerbings, I pop the seat, connect the controller to the pigtail under the seat, stick the controller on the tank and replace the seat. I can look down (or not..) see the controller, adjust as necessary. The adjustment knob of the controller faces the front of the bike, wires go under the seat except the piece you connect to the jacket. On my RT, there is sufficient space between the lip on the side of the seat and the fairing to tuck the jacket-connection cable under when I get off the bike, leaving it out of sight.

Thanks for the advice and ideas. I'll go out and give it some rational though. I have been just riding and enjoying and not doing much else. The bike is such a gas and being comfortable in 50 degree weather is all new to me. I had older, unfaired beemers and I finally sold my R69S and /5's because I just wasn't warm enough to enjoy it anymore. I had forgoten how much fun toys can really be. Technology is great!

I did the hard wire directly to the battery with the supplied cord & Fuse and have that fed out the left front of the seat. Seams real convenient. For now I have the controler fed through the velcro on a pocket and it keeps it handy.

Thanks for the advice.

Gerbing does not recommend putting their controller in your pocket. Instead, they make a leather pouch with a built-in belt clip, part number RCC which holds your controller and makes it possible to clip it to your jacket's belt, the lip of a pocket, any open zipper, an open spot on your tankbag zipper, etc. etc. etc. Runs about $10.

It appears you have the problem solved of where to exit the wire from under the seat. Now you just need to be able to mount your controller where you can easily access it, somewhere out in the air as Gerbing suggests.

Gerbing does not recommend putting their controller in your pocket. Instead, they make a leather pouch with a built-in belt clip

On our last trip I didn't have time to pick one of these up...so here is my improvisation for our dual controller:

I picked up a textile cell phone holder, the kind designed to attach to a belt or backpack strap.

Affixed to the velcro belt loop on my armoured pants, the controller sit nice and convenient for either me or my wife to adjust.

Cut a hole in the bottom for the wires to feed out. One simple connection to the bike mounted wiring and a second to my wife's Gerbing liner and we are done.

Works so well I won't be ordering the pouch.

Cheers.

Thanks Fernando. I was envisioning some kind of alligator clip setup to hold the controler but the right holder from Gerbing sounds right. Funny how the manufacturer usually has the right stuff! dopeslap.gif

R1200ST

Archived