IGNORED

HID Headlights R1200RT

sisu

I am thinking of installing HIDs from Bikelitez. The RT uses two H7 bulbs for low beam and one for high beam. I am thinking of using HIDs for all of them. I am hopeful there is enough room for the ballasts/etc.. In the past, HIDs normally would not come on instantly like a filament bulb. Has anyone out there used HID for high beam lights? Is the delay a big problem? Is there room for the ballasts?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have had HID's on a previous bike and the delay is not really a problem. Its not like you have momentary darkness when you turn them on, you don't. It just takes a sec. or so for the bulb to come up to full illumination and after they come to full brilliance it seems like it was dark before grin.gif.

And boy when it does, its like turning night into day... thumbsup.gif

Jim

I am not concerned about the delay on start up. I am worried about switching from high to low beams.

Does anyone think that the CANBUS will detect the change from 55 Watt filament to the HID 35watt?

I am thinking of installing HIDs from Bikelitez. The RT uses two H7 bulbs for low beam and one for high beam. I am thinking of using HIDs for all of them. I am hopeful there is enough room for the ballasts/etc.. In the past, HIDs normally would not come on instantly like a filament bulb. Has anyone out there used HID for high beam lights? Is the delay a big problem? Is there room for the ballasts?

Any help would be appreciated.

I visited Hansen's BMW in Medford, OR, last January. They had just installed HID lights in a K1200LT and found them to work beautifully. I think that they have a HID unit with long electrical leads that facilitates installation.

BUT, there may be a problem with the R1200RT (and GS). The CAN-BUS electricals sense current draw on all the components, and the lower draw from HID lights could foul up the computer stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if Hansen's has developed a technique to alleviate that difference, though.

And I must note that all of the above comments are way over my head. I'd call Hansen's for their advice.

The 'special tecnique' is called a 'resistor'. Any HID unit designed for use in a GS/RT is (should be...) constructed in a manner to take into the consideration the requirements of the CANbus system. A .25 cent part.

Jim

Archived