IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sept 25-29 Ellijay, GA

Indy Dave

On 9/16/2019 at 10:20 AM, Endobobdds said:

Had new tires mounted - rear tire "Continental Trail Attach 3s" went from decent rubber to cords showing very quickly. :87:

That was a trick for Metzlers and happened to me years ago in the NC mountains.  Haven't used Metzlers since, so I don't know if they are still prone to going from looking OK to dangerous so suddenly.

On 9/16/2019 at 2:52 PM, brianh70 said:

I've been running Avon Gripsters for years since I don't really go off pavement that much since leaving Texas, but I'm hoping to change that.

Are they Shinko 705 tires? Did you get bias or radial? I will be interested to here how you like them.

I just bought a set for my F700GS, which will be in need of "re-tiring" in ~1000 miles. Even with the Shinkos, it's going to stay on the street 99% of the time. My XT225 weighs about half as much, and is much less of a handful in the dirt.

This is the hottest September I can remember in GA since 1985, and it looks like FART 2019 is going to have "bring layers" weather, with cool mornings and hot afternoons. Ya take what ya get.

image.thumb.png.f8a27d7ac33af2a177aa1d1ef3a1f790.png

• Like 1
On 9/13/2019 at 5:47 PM, Selden said:

A small, but sensitive point to all: My first name is "Selden" with no "h" and no "o". It was misspelled on the first (pre-photocopy) copy of my birth certificate, and I've been living with more variations than I can remember for all my adult life. Shelden, Sheldon, Seldeen, Seleen, Zelden, Zoltan, you name it, I have seen it. A long time ago, I went to a 2-cantor wedding in Beverly Hills, and after the first 15 minutes, I gave up, and was "Sheldon" for the rest of the afternoon.

Selden Scranton (a distant ancestor) was one of the founders of Scranton, PA. John Selden (no relation) was an English jurist, a scholar of England's ancient laws and constitution, and scholar of Jewish law (he taught himself Hebrew and Torah while imprisoned for getting on the wrong side of the English establishment).

Not to one-up you but to add to it ... my former mother in law called me Greg for 22 straight years ... after I'm sure thousands of reminders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Selden said:

Are they Shinko 705 tires? Did you get bias or radial? I will be interested to here how you like them.

I just bought a set for my F700GS, which will be in need of "re-tiring" in ~1000 miles. Even with the Shinkos, it's going to stay on the street 99% of the time. My XT225 weighs about half as much, and is much less of a handful in the dirt.

Hi Seldon -

I went with the Shinko 700s.  I wanted to get something a little more "dirty" than the 705s.  They should arrive today and I'll get them mounted/balanced tomorrow or Friday.

12 minutes ago, brianh70 said:

Hi Seldon -

I went with the Shinko 700s.  I wanted to get something a little more "dirty" than the 705s.  They should arrive today and I'll get them mounted/balanced tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even know they made a 700. 

I am sorry everyone, but I have to tap out for this FART.  I have to head to Ohio for a project I have to do for Grad School.  Hoping to see everyone at START.  There is a King room available that I had reserved from Wed-Sun now.

I hope everyone enjoys

Mike

• Sad 3
2 hours ago, TyTass said:

Not to one-up you but to add to it ... my former mother in law called me Greg for 22 straight years ... after I'm sure thousands of reminders.

Is that why, in part, she's your former M-I-L?

• Haha 1
55 minutes ago, Medic Mike said:

I am sorry everyone, but I have to tap out for this FART.  I have to head to Ohio for a project I have to do for Grad School.  Hoping to see everyone at START.  There is a King room available that I had reserved from Wed-Sun now.

I hope everyone enjoys

Mike

Aw bummer, man.  Truth be told, I almost missed this trip as well but a business trip got pushed back to 1-Oct.  I hope to see you at START, then.

• Like 1

New rubber on today and getting close enough to look at the weather now...I wish it was a little cooler, but on the bright side it doesn't look like a wet FART.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Kinsley said:

New rubber on today and getting close enough to look at the weather now...I wish it was a little cooler, but on the bright side it doesn't look like a wet FART.

Maybe you should push FART back two weeks.  It looks like it will be cooler then.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Burt said:

Maybe you should push FART back two weeks.  It looks like it will be cooler then.

Not in Ellijay. They have the Apple Festival and it will be packed. Anywhere that fits our parameters in the mountains would also cost a lot more in October.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Kinsley said:

Not in Ellijay. They have the Apple Festival and it will be packed. Anywhere that fits our parameters in the mountains would also cost a lot more in October.

I was just kidding. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, brianh70 said:

They sure do!  Really decent price, too.  I don't need super-high-performance rubber on my KLR.  For the price, I"ll be happy if I get ~1000 miles or so.

https://www.cyclegear.com/tires/shinko-700-dual-sport-tires

Yes, those look much more aggressive than the Shinko 705 tires. Are they bias or radial (at those prices, I strongly suspect they are bias). 

I put Shinko 244 tires on my XT225. They handle surprisingly well on pavement, and I have found that the more aggressive tread is far more forgiving in mud than the 90/10 tires it previously had. With those tires, if the rear end started to slip, the bike went down; with the 244s, it may wiggle a little, but quickly regains traction, and I have yet to go down (knock wood or rubber).

2 hours ago, Medic Mike said:

I hope everyone enjoys

Mike

I thought I was finally going to meet Medic Mike........bummer!

5 hours ago, TyTass said:

Maybe she was wishing for a Greg. :)

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, marcopolo said:

Is that why, in part, she's your former M-I-L?

5 hours ago, TyTass said:

Someone is our midst still refers to you by that name - and you're always such a  good sport about it. :18:

3 hours ago, Marty Hill said:

I thought I was finally going to meet Medic Mike........bummer!

Marty:

I was looking forward to meeting you and a few other people next week.  I moved from Raleigh, NC to Asheville six weeks ago for work and that limited a lot of what I could do for Grad School.  I had no choice but to tap out and head North to complete this project, though I did beg my Prof to give me an extra week so I could make it.  Something about deadlines, syllabus and some crazy academic integrity things she kept referring to guided the decision.  Hopefully I can catch you in the Spring.

Mike

• Like 1
20 hours ago, TyTass said:

Not Greg, WTF!!!  Next you are going to tell me that you wife is not named Sherri...

• Haha 1

Really looking forward to my first FART, and meeting new friends!  This morning I looked over the suggested routes that Kinsley sent, and am impressed and appreciative of the effort he put into those routes....they are GREAT!  I'll be looking for the early-start gang and a full day of FARTING......JB

• Like 2
22 hours ago, randy said:

my normal riding buddy cannot make this event.  anyone want to share a room,  two  queen beds.

Andy? I was going to ask him if he wanted to take a spin on my RT.

On 9/20/2019 at 6:07 AM, bimmer2 said:

Really looking forward to my first FART, and meeting new friends!  This morning I looked over the suggested routes that Kinsley sent, and am impressed and appreciative of the effort he put into those routes....they are GREAT!  I'll be looking for the early-start gang and a full day of FARTING......JB

JB,

Looking forward to meeting you.  I've tried for years to be in the "early-start gang".  LOL.  But, you can hang out with the "last-to-bed" group.  I'll save you a chair.

• Like 1

!ADMINISTRIVIA!

1. We have a very special prize this year for Friday's group dinner contest. Mr. Zoom's wife, Ady, has donated  "The History of BMW Motorcycles" book that belonged to her late husband and well known member of our riding community, Rich "Mr. Zoom" Elarde. :18:

2. Thursday's Endobob's Pizza Extravaganza (at the hotel) is at 6:30.

3. Friday's FART Group Meal is at 6:30 @ El Rey Mexican Restaurant and Cantina 945 Maddox Dr, East Ellijay, GA. Table service.

4. Please post your photos to the board HERE or email to: startfarting@gmail.com

5. Please be sure to fill in the sign in sheet when you register at the front desk, and answer the contest question.

6. As Always,  full details  are in the first post of this thread!

• Like 2

Here some preview tips from a ride today:

1. The intersection of 19 and 60 at the rock pile, aka "Stonepile Gap," about halfway between Dahlonega and Suches, is undergoing a major re-design, so be prepared for a change in traffic pattern and, at least during the week, construction-related stops.

2. Going east from Suches on Highway 180, aka "Wolf Pen Gap Road," most of the right hand turns on the climb to the gap have gravel at the apex. The other side of the gap toward highway 129 seemed to be less problematic.

3. A reminder that the 6 Gap Century and 3 Gap Fifty bicycle races will be on Sunday September 29, so paved roads south and east of Suches are likely to be filled with hundreds, perhaps over a thousand bicycle riders Friday, Saturday, and especially Sunday. Avoid this area after Friday.

6gaproute.jpg  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

!ADMINISTRIVIA!

1. We have a very special prize this year for Friday's group dinner contest. Mr. Zoom's wife, Ady, has donated  "The History of BMW Motorcycles" book that belonged to her late husband and well known member of our riding community, Rich "Mr. Zoom" Elarde. :18:

2. Thursday's Endobob's Pizza Extravaganza (at the hotel) is at 6:30.

3. Friday's FART Group Meal is at 6:30 @ El Rey Mexican Restaurant and Cantina 945 Maddox Dr, East Ellijay, GA. Table service.

4. Please post your photos to the board HERE or email to: startfarting@gmail.com

5. Please be sure to fill in the sign in sheet when you register at the front desk, and answer the contest question.

6. As Always,  full details  are in the first post of this thread!

I have nothing to add...Dave has gone professional with this hosting stuff :) I look forward to FARTing with everyone next weekend.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Selden said:

Here some preview tips from a ride today:

1. The intersection of 19 and 60 at the rock pile, aka "Stonepile Gap," about halfway between Dahlonega and Suches, is undergoing a major re-design, so be prepared for a change in traffic pattern and, at least during the week, construction-related stops.

2. Going east from Suches on Highway 180, aka "Wolf Pen Gap Road," most of the right hand turns on the climb to the gap have gravel at the apex. The other side of the gap toward highway 129 seemed to be less problematic.

3. A reminder that the 6 Gap Century and 3 Gap Fifty bicycle races will be on Sunday September 29, so paved roads south and east of Suches are likely to be filled with thousands of bicycle riders Friday, Saturday, and especially Sunday. Avoid this area after Friday.

6gaproute.jpg  

Thanks for Scouting Sheldon!!! ....You know I had to do that, thanks Selden

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
25 minutes ago, ltljohn said:

Since I will be at work this week, I request lots of pictures please.:wave:

Going to miss seeing/talking with you.  

Man, I can't wait to pull out of the drive on Wednesday.  Making a client visit early in Madison, IN.  If you have a UTV or ATV, visit my client, SuperATV for the best upgrades (non-paid commercial).  A bunch of good people making high-quality stuff.

https://www.superatv.com/inside-superatv/superatv-team

• Like 1

We've been lurking, and hoping.

But. After 32 1/2 years, we're moving. Closed on a new to us house Friday the 13th.

So, no FARTing.

If you've stayed with us, get in touch.

Slowly moving, but will have new address.

Full dislclosure, first 50 yards of driveway is paved, downhill.

Then gravel, so GS riders can have fun.

Have a great time, hope to see ya down the road.

• Like 6

Nope, no water crossings - I mean, we're in bit of a dry spell anyways. Haven't got lost yet Burt, and so far no "Dead Ends".

Horizon to horizon
Memory written on the wind

582636341_FARTBridge.thumb.jpg.f475902955ffe653eddfe86957adc2b6.jpg

Now In Somerset, KY for the night.

• Like 3

Wonderful time of morning to saddle up and head out for a week of riding.

20190922_070117-01.thumb.jpeg.c863bea7c27bb16d796693bc3d919d44.jpeg

Low lying fog in the pasture.

20190922_070856-01.thumb.jpeg.7ddffec3c3ebb9cac34aafad124f5e90.jpeg

Not a cloud in the sky.

20190922_091047-01.thumb.jpeg.ec7197421516e2c683b32ed60c5ff2b3.jpeg

Lunch at Gina Belle's in Danielsville, GA.

20190922_113213-01.thumb.jpeg.cbf05375bd5d3267491d2296768fce56.jpeg

20190922_113219-01.thumb.jpeg.8abaf02620ad3e9193fe770e2807db5b.jpeg

20190922_114210-01.thumb.jpeg.a609b992f6b425a3d9c2713a6b110bc8.jpeg

Stop by an old family cemetery.

20190922_122640-01.thumb.jpeg.fa9e084968ca02260a206893bbf41c3b.jpeg

20190422_114825-01.thumb.jpeg.52242305adc0eff3f70600ef94be8d5a.jpeg

20190422_114749-01.thumb.jpeg.c1563d12e69d44d4f9696b343fac9dc2.jpeg

Dinner in Asheville.

20190922_193607-01.thumb.jpeg.fc05c4a76e5970f4d0ef2994b8df2f35.jpeg

Cheeseburger Club.

20190922_190738-01.thumb.jpeg.b523c7d09a3f01162884ee13b2631b21.jpeg

Great day on the bike, life is good.

Terry

• Like 11
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 9/21/2019 at 11:36 AM, Indy Dave said:

Somehow I missed this detail on the first page.  I'm used to the group dinner being on the last evening of the event, i.e. typically Saturdays for START/FART.  I have to leave on Saturday morning, so I'm glad I will be able to attend the Friday dinner.  

:clap:

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Somehow I missed this detail on the first page.  I'm used to the group dinner being on the last evening of the event, i.e. typically Saturdays for START/FART.  I have to leave on Saturday morning, so I'm glad I will be able to attend the Friday dinner.  

:clap:

Hey Mitch, the reason we switched the group meal to Friday night instead of Saturday is for people who leave on Saturday because of distance, weather, or other commitments. We have found that more people are able to make a Friday night meal, so it was a good change.

• Like 1