IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sept 25-29 Ellijay, GA

Indy Dave

15 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Hey Indy Dave,

you have me down arriving on a Thursday.  I will be riding down with Scott on Wednesday.  

Thanks

Philb

Great another Wednesday Farter! LOL

Hi IndyDave get with the program. :3:

Just kidding! You are doing a grant job! Thank you.

On 8/27/2019 at 9:04 PM, Selden said:

Let's hope the weather forecast holds!

image.png.9c0abfe98ef653fc70f2045395fd551b.png

After months of suffering down here, that looks amazing.  Just hoping the tropics cooperate this year.

• Like 3
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, Aum said:

I guess I do qualify as a first time FARTer, but I need to state for the record that I come from a long line of farters. As my great grandfather, a farmer in NW PA used to say, "A mule that farts will never tire and a man that farts is a man to hire."

Mike

words to live by.

• Like 2

Just a reminder and a request...  On a whim, Brian and I decided we're bringing the F650s* to hopefully do some real dual-sporting as we FART.  Hoping to have some of y'all join us!  The request... B & I don't have a lot of off-road experience in the area so any routes or suggestions would be most helpful.

* the only thing that may alter these plans in the current state of my bike. :whistle: In the middle of a complete caliper and brake system rebuild (my first!) and I keep finding new parts that need to be replaced and are hard to find.  Apparently BMW doesn't want anyone but their own techs working on these brakes!:

IMG_3033 (1).jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Id's_OK said:

Just a reminder and a request...  On a whim, Brian and I decided we're bringing the F650s* to hopefully do some real dual-sporting as we FART.  Hoping to have some of y'all join us!  The request... B & I don't have a lot of off-road experience in the area so any routes or suggestions would be most helpful.

* the only thing that may alter these plans in the current state of my bike. :whistle: In the middle of a complete caliper and brake system rebuild (my first!) and I keep finding new parts that need to be replaced and are hard to find.  Apparently BMW doesn't want anyone but their own techs working on these brakes!:

IMG_3033 (1).jpg

Christopher, just wait until you have to change the shocks on the GSW.

Naked GS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
7 hours ago, Id's_OK said:

IMG_3033 (1).jpg

Chris, you and Brain maybe able to talk Randy and Shelden to give you guys a few roads or paths to check out or maybe even lead you guys.

Just saying. Of Kinsley may also have a selection of unpaved roads ready for distribution. Send him or them a PM.

LOL

• Like 2
7 hours ago, twistyguy said:

I'm game for some off-roading.  But you'll have to wait for my lumbering 1200GS (and help me pick it up when I drop it):3:

What is that . . . Off in the distance?? . . .  is that BANJOS?

• Like 1

A few months ago, Two Wheels of Suches started selling the best off-road map I have seen for N.E. Georgia. For $6, it's well worth the price. I don't know if it's available elsewhere.

BestUnpavedCover.thumb.jpg.ad8c30f2c174a3c0a72d3fb5cb23d65f.jpg

Folded, it's 4.25"x5.5" ; unfolded 11"x17". To give you an idea, I have attached a scan of the Ellijay side of the map. NOTE : A yellow warning triangle marks one road on either side of the map as "Difficult!" They ain't kidding. I could have died on Flatland Road two summers ago; I haven't tried the other road.

OffRoad-NE-GA-2048.thumb.jpg.351fe4cb20b0707d356530160d0d022e.jpg

Near Suches, the map shows Canada Creek Road E. There is also a western half, and I have been told that it's possible to ride the entire way, but the middle section is single-track, and I have never attempted it. Canada Creek Falls on the west side is a very nice waterfall, easily approached from the west, about a mile off Gaddistown Road.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Bernie said:

Chris, you and Brain maybe able to talk Randy and Shelden to give you guys a few roads or paths to check out or maybe even lead you guys.

Just saying. Of Kinsley may also have a selection of unpaved roads ready for distribution. Send him or them a PM.

LOL

I'm sure Terry and Ron could help us find a great route too.

18 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

What is that . . . Off in the distance?? . . .  is that BANJOS?

It's part of the ADV experience!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Selden said:

A few months ago, Two Wheels of Suches started selling the best off-road map I have seen for N.E. Georgia. For $6, it's well worth the price. I don't know if it's available elsewhere.

Folded, it's 4.25"x5.5" ; unfolded 11"x17". To give you an idea, I have attached a scan of the Ellijay side of the map. NOTE : A yellow warning triangle marks one road on either side of the map as "Difficult!" They ain't kidding. I could have died on Flatland Road two summers ago; I haven't tried the other road.

Near Suches, the map shows Canada Creek Road E. There is also a western half, and I have been told that it's possible to ride the entire way, but the middle section is single-track, and I have never attempted it. Canada Creek Falls on the west side is a very nice waterfall, easily approached from the west, about a mile off Gaddistown Road.

Just ordered it--Thanks!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Selden said:

Thank you Shelden. 

We may never see these guys again. But they will be happy.

:4315:

• Haha 1

A small, but sensitive point to all: My first name is "Selden" with no "h" and no "o". It was misspelled on the first (pre-photocopy) copy of my birth certificate, and I've been living with more variations than I can remember for all my adult life. Shelden, Sheldon, Seldeen, Seleen, Zelden, Zoltan, you name it, I have seen it. A long time ago, I went to a 2-cantor wedding in Beverly Hills, and after the first 15 minutes, I gave up, and was "Sheldon" for the rest of the afternoon.

Selden Scranton (a distant ancestor) was one of the founders of Scranton, PA. John Selden (no relation) was an English jurist, a scholar of England's ancient laws and constitution, and scholar of Jewish law (he taught himself Hebrew and Torah while imprisoned for getting on the wrong side of the English establishment).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Do not feel like the Lone Ranger.  My last name is Weldin and in the South, everybody spells it Weldon or Welden.  Back in the day, my brother and I were the only ones with I spelled in the phone book (yeah, what is that?) and in DE (where my paternal grandparents lived) there are TONS on Weldins in the phone book with a only a few spelled with E or O.  Toatally opposite from the South.  Go figure.  I just tell them welding without the G.  

HA

I'm sure there was no harm intended Selden, it is very easy to misspell words on small mobile devices and/or dictating to them as well as any keyboard. Taking those things into consideration perhaps our reactions should be a little more subdued.

Regarding the value of names:

"You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing — that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something."

Richard Feynman

Terry

• Like 1

My wife's name is Shawn. Not Sean. Not Shaun. No doubt she has lost count of the number of times someone has referred to her as Shaun or Sean in conversation. 

Similarly, we suffer from the indignity of having our last name misspelled often!  It never seems to bother either of us one bit, there's never any malice involved, and frankly, we're just glad folks will converse with us - so we don't care what they call us or how they spell it.

Ever since I was a little boy, my Grandfather would constantly instill in us "Don't take yourself so seriously." My entire adult life, I've tried to live that way.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Do not feel like the Lone Ranger.  My last name is Weldin and in the South, everybody spells it Weldon or Welden.  Back in the day, my brother and I were the only ones with I spelled in the phone book (yeah, what is that?) and in DE (where my paternal grandparents lived) there are TONS on Weldins in the phone book with a only a few spelled with E or O.  Toatally opposite from the South.  Go figure.  I just tell them welding without the G.  

HA

It never occurred to me that these things could be regional. The only place I have never had my name misspelled was Turkey, where both my first and last names make sense, although the first name is not (to my knowledge) used as a Turkish name.

26 minutes ago, terryofperry said:

I'm sure there was no harm intended Selden, it is very easy to misspell words on small mobile devices and/or dictating to them as well as any keyboard. Taking those things into consideration perhaps our reactions should be a little more subdued.

I never assumed any harm was intended; I was just trying to set the record straight. It's just mildly frustrating, as others have observed. I generally feel embarassed when I get someone's name wrong.

The one thing that really does annoy me is when I am at a place like Starbucks, or dealing with customer service over the phone, and I slowly and clearly say my name as S E L D E N, and the person on the other end immediately gets it wrong. Sometimes more than once.

My daughter has a related name issue. She was born in Saudi Arabia, and we named her "Shereen," because it didn't sound too odd, and went well with "Deemer." She will apply for a job, show up for an interview, and all too often, the reaction is "Oh, you're white!" So what? I understand that stereotypes more often run in the opposite direction, but in whichever direction, it's still frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Selden said:

.........................The one thing that really does annoy me is when I am at a place like Starbucks, or dealing with customer service over the phone, and I slowly and clearly say my name as S E L D E N, and the person on the other end immediately gets it wrong. Sometimes more than once.......

HA.  You mean to tell me that you give them your actual name?    That is hilarious.  I usually give them a ficticious name like Crandston, or Phineas, or Philippides.   "Huh?  Could you spell that for me  please?"

Classic.

• Haha 2

I did try to apologize, but i am blaming my iPhone for this massive screw up. 

What can you expect from a product made by a company with the name Apple. Wouldn’t happen with a Google product. 

:4322::4607::5590:

Randal with one L.  I have given up trying to get folks to get that right by using Randy.  Other than in the UK, where it has to be Randal, with one or two Ls.  

11 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I did try to apologize, but i am blaming my iPhone for this massive screw up. 

What can you expect from a product made by a company with the name Apple. Wouldn’t happen with a Google product. 

:4322::4607::5590:

Bernie, if you want to switch to a google phone my daughter can get you a discount.  :18:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

HA.  You mean to tell me that you give them your actual name?    That is hilarious.  I usually give them a ficticious name like Crandston, or Phineas, or Philippides.   "Huh?  Could you spell that for me  please?"

There is a story, possibly apocryphal, that at a Starbucks in a CIA building in Crystal City, VA, when asked that question, the answer is "If I told you, I'd have to kill you."

Given them a fake name is probably the best thing I can do. They can probably spell Joe, John, or, since this is the South, Jimbob. Or maybe Bubba. Everybody can spell Bubba.

• Haha 2

Yeah, it's Christopher, not Chris (or any other variant).  And I wouldn't trust Google to find me the nearest vapid overroasted bitter coffee at Starbucks...I trust Apple.   Not to toss gas on the fire or anything. Let's stick with tires or oil or politics :lurk:

Still can't wait to see Berny, Sheldon, Randall (x2), Kris Kenney, Steve Foot, Alllen (Foote) and all the rest of you yayhoos! :wave:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Id's_OK said:

Yeah, it's Christopher, not Chris (or any other variant).  And I wouldn't trust Google to find me the nearest vapid overroasted bitter coffee at Starbucks...I trust Apple.   Not to toss gas on the fire or anything. Let's stick with tires or oil or politics :lurk:

Still can't wait to see Berny, Sheldon, Randall (x2), Kris Kenney, Steve Foot, Alllen (Foote) and all the rest of you yayhoos! :wave:

That is like saying I wouldn't trust Hitler'y as far as I could throw her...  But I trust BURNie...

... lol...  whatever dude.  I'm not even going to comment on the level of BORG that entails...  lol.

You have obviously chosen the BLUE pill.  That is good to know if I ever run up on you in the future...  Go back to sleep...  pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. lol

Edited by dp-R1100RT
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Marty Hill said:

Bernie, if you want to switch to a google phone my daughter can get you a discount.  :18:

No need Marty, I have one of those laying around here somewhere.

:3:

On 9/11/2019 at 9:58 AM, Id's_OK said:

IMG_3033 (1).jpg

always in to try and find some dirt.

see you soon.

• Like 2
On 9/12/2019 at 1:01 PM, Selden said:

thank you.

22 minutes ago, lawnchairboy said:

always in to try and find some dirt.

see you soon.

Nice looking bike.

Suggestion:  Take measurements, and go down to your full service auto/bike store and order kits that fit it.  the only things in a brake kit for disc brakes (calipers) are O-rings and a dust seal.  you might have to order 2 kits to get enough O-rings - your dust seals are probably still good to go.

2 hours ago, Endobobdds said:

Had new tires mounted - rear tire "Continental Trail Attach 3s" went from decent rubber to cords showing very quickly. :87:

IMG_5201.JPG

You should ride on the sides a little more. It looks like you live in the desert or Florida :) ...or you're doing those late night burnouts again

• Like 2

Only 9 days! :5210:

For as long as the interval has seemed between START and FART, now FART seems to be coming 'like windshields toward the fly'. Except for a trip in early June, my bike has been on jack stands all summer, only last week returning to it's natural state. Now lots of little bike things to tend to, along with trying to find time to shake down the bike.  I'm sure we all have our stories to share, I'm looking forward to hearing yours in Ellijay.

@Indy Scotthas a BMW now!:bike:

As the summer has progressed, so too has my focus shifted from looking back on the great rides of Sparta to anticipating the great rides and company in Ellijay.

Not entirely though. In hopes of building your anticipation for FART, I share this clip from Sparta's START. On Sunday, I departed from Sparta and headed to Statesville to meet a cousin for coffee. There's nothing like the early morning roads with the world all to yourself. While 18 is a nice road, this section of 18 is particularly engaging

343510286_Screenshot_2019-09-16Sparta.thumb.png.8431092bc90efe9355b0de9a7dc7a08b.png

Here's how it looked from my side of the bike:

2 hours ago, Endobobdds said:

Had new tires mounted - rear tire "Continental Trail Attach 3s" went from decent rubber to cords showing very quickly. :87:

Endo - NO WORRIES! Your right wrist is working perfectly!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 9/11/2019 at 9:58 AM, Id's_OK said:

IMG_3033 (1).jpg

Just for the record, I don't have an F650 (although I wouldn't mind one).  I'll be bringing my trusty KLR.  I got a set of Shinko 60/40 tires on the way (that's 60% on/40% off road tires.)  I've been running Avon Gripsters for years since I don't really go off pavement that much since leaving Texas, but I'm hoping to change that.

4 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Only 9 days! :5210:

For as long as the interval has seemed between START and FART, now FART seems to be coming 'like windshields toward the fly'. Except for a trip in early June, my bike has been on jack stands all summer, only last week returning to it's natural state. Now lots of little bike things to tend to, along with trying to find time to shake down the bike.  I'm sure we all have our stories to share, I'm looking forward to hearing yours in Ellijay.

@Indy Scotthas a BMW now!:bike:

As the summer has progressed, so too has my focus shifted from looking back on the great rides of Sparta to anticipating the great rides and company in Ellijay.

Not entirely though. In hopes of building your anticipation for FART, I share this clip from Sparta's START. On Sunday, I departed from Sparta and headed to Statesville to meet a cousin for coffee. There's nothing like the early morning roads with the world all to yourself. While 18 is a nice road, this section of 18 is particularly engaging

343510286_Screenshot_2019-09-16Sparta.thumb.png.8431092bc90efe9355b0de9a7dc7a08b.png

Great lines in that video Dave!!!

• Like 2

While I will not be making the trip to Ellijay, due to my daughter's wedding, I would like to share this short video I made of why I love to go to the mountains.  Have fun everyone and ride safe. 

• Like 4
22 hours ago, Endobobdds said:

IMG_5201.JPG

Bob--honestly--you would be the very LAST person I would have guessed who would have had that wear pattern!

• Like 2