IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sept 25-29 Ellijay, GA

Indy Dave

34 minutes ago, Foot said:

Something unheard of I will have enough tread left over from the UN to go to the FART !

I'm putting new tires on this week.  It would be too close with the tires that are on my bike.

• Like 3
RandyShields

With the recent disappearance of the sweltering summer heat, and the publication of Kinsley's routes, there must be an approaching FART!  I am getting psyched for fall, the best riding season in the southeast.  And these events are also about fellowship.  See the motley crew from dinner at START.  Can't wait in Charlotte . . . .

Start dinner.jpeg

• Like 4

Another first timer at FART.  Recently retired to N GA so no excuse not to relocate to Ellijay for a few days.  Looking forward to putting faces with some of the names on the forum.

Dave Smith

• Like 4

Another newb question.  What is the average weather like down in GA at the end of September.  Is there a lot of variation in Temp during the day?  I would think so with riding in the hills. 

What do folks usually pack for these rides?  I currently dont have any rain gear, so I was looking for some sort of rain suit.   Any recommendations?

I also came across a Joe Rocket Survivor suit.  Not super expensive and could be a good thing to have on this trip as well as my weekend rides.  I have a couple of different jackets to wear depending on temps, but normally just wear jeans.  This would at least get me some leg and lower spine protection.   What you think?

New to this forum, but not to motorcycling, and looking forward to meeting folks in Ellijay next month.  Just back from 2000+ miles in Calif. and the Smokies are calling me home.

John Beasley

Welcome to the BMWST Forum - look forward to meeting you.  I checked your profile and it only tells us your birth date that does not seem possible:  "1/19/2019

Would be nice to know where you live, how long you have been riding, etc.   

LOL,  Fixed that just now!  jb
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, Rockosmith said:

Another first timer at FART.  Recently retired to N GA so no excuse not to relocate to Ellijay for a few days.  Looking forward to putting faces with some of the names on the forum.

Dave Smith

Welcome Dave! :5210:  :18:  Great to have you join us!!

6 hours ago, EvilTwin said:

Another newb question.  What is the average weather like down in GA at the end of September.  Is there a lot of variation in Temp during the day?  I would think so with riding in the hills. 

What do folks usually pack for these rides?  I currently dont have any rain gear, so I was looking for some sort of rain suit.   Any recommendations?

I also came across a Joe Rocket Survivor suit.  Not super expensive and could be a good thing to have on this trip as well as my weekend rides.  I have a couple of different jackets to wear depending on temps, but normally just wear jeans.  This would at least get me some leg and lower spine protection.   What you think?

Hi Bob - As for weather, here's some history and a link:

Average Weather in September in Ellijay Georgia, United States

Daily high temperatures decrease by 9°F, from 83°F to 75°F, rarely falling below 66°F or exceeding 90°F.

Daily low temperatures decrease by 9°F, from 64°F to 55°F, rarely falling below 44°F or exceeding 69°F.

For reference, on July 22, the hottest day of the year, temperatures in Ellijay typically range from 67°F to 86°F, while on January 24, the coldest day of the year, they range from 32°F to 49°F.

https://weatherspark.com/m/15690/9/Average-Weather-in-September-in-Ellijay-Georgia-United-States

It's not uncommon for me to put on a liner under my jacket some mornings - but more often than not - just closing my vents is suffice enough for me. A lot depends on one's sensitivity to warm or cool temps and the amount of wind protection one's bike provides. Often the cooler temps at elevation are refreshing - again for me, others may find them too cool. So do plan on bringing a liner or layer to wear under your jacket, just in case. Often I'll use a warmer glove on the first stint in the morning (or a glove liner).

As for rain gear, that's a largely subjective decision. How often and for how long one rides in the rain is a major consideration - as rain gear can get quite expensive. How much protection one's bike provides is also a consideration. For most of my riding years, I've put rain gear over my normal riding jacket and pants and that has been fine. Some folks just use a trash bag in a pinch. Even now with a goretex jacket, I still carry and use my outer rain gear if I will be riding any distance in the rain. Think about how comfortable you are riding in the rain - if you're likely to ride to the nearest shelter and wait it out or ride all day - will impact your decision. If your boots are not goretex, you might think about rubbers/galoshes if you're going to ride in the rain much.

Others will no doubt chime in with helpful input.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EvilTwin said:

In September it can be chilly in the mornings or at higher elevations, but it can also get pretty hot. Heated gear would be recommended even if the forecast says otherwise.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, bimmer2 said:

New to this forum, but not to motorcycling, and looking forward to meeting folks in Ellijay next month.  Just back from 2000+ miles in Calif. and the Smokies are calling me home.

John Beasley

Welcome to the BMWST Forum - look forward to meeting you.  I checked your profile and it only tells us your birth date that does not seem possible:  "1/19/2019

Would be nice to know where you live, how long you have been riding, etc.   

LOL,  Fixed that just now!  jb

Don’t worry John, Endobobdds (Bob) is getting a little cranky these days. I think it’s because he hasn’t drilled any teeth in a while. :5146:

lol. But he’s much nicer in person. Lol

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Welcome Dave! :5210:  :18:  Great to have you join us!!

Hi Bob - As for weather, here's some history and a link:

Average Weather in September in Ellijay Georgia, United States

Daily high temperatures decrease by 9°F, from 83°F to 75°F, rarely falling below 66°F or exceeding 90°F.

Daily low temperatures decrease by 9°F, from 64°F to 55°F, rarely falling below 44°F or exceeding 69°F.

For reference, on July 22, the hottest day of the year, temperatures in Ellijay typically range from 67°F to 86°F, while on January 24, the coldest day of the year, they range from 32°F to 49°F.

https://weatherspark.com/m/15690/9/Average-Weather-in-September-in-Ellijay-Georgia-United-States

It's not uncommon for me to put on a liner under my jacket some mornings - but more often than not - just closing my vents is suffice enough for me. A lot depends on one's sensitivity to warm or cool temps and the amount of wind protection one's bike provides. Often the cooler temps at elevation are refreshing - again for me, others may find them too cool. So do plan on bringing a liner or layer to wear under your jacket, just in case. Often I'll use a warmer glove on the first stint in the morning (or a glove liner).

As for rain gear, that's a largely subjective decision. How often and for how long one rides in the rain is a major consideration - as rain gear can get quite expensive. How much protection one's bike provides is also a consideration. For most of my riding years, I've put rain gear over my normal riding jacket and pants and that has been fine. Some folks just use a trash bag in a pinch. Even now with a goretex jacket, I still carry and use my outer rain gear if I will be riding any distance in the rain. Think about how comfortable you are riding in the rain - if you're likely to ride to the nearest shelter and wait it out or ride all day - will impact your decision. If your boots are not goretex, you might think about rubbers/galoshes if you're going to ride in the rain much.

Others will no doubt chime in with helpful input.

As Toby Keith and Dave say:  This may not work for you, but it works for me......  Over the years, and after trying many different types of riding gear, what works year-round for me is the following (I have no affiliation with any product other than wearing them):

Firstgear mesh riding pants with suspenders;

Klim mesh hi-viz riding jacket;

BMW boots-  a pair of tall non-mesh, and a pair of low mesh (depending on season);

1 pair of summer ballistic gloves (BMW), 1 pair of w'proof mid-weight ballistic gloves (BMW) and a pair of Gerbing heated gloves;

Full face helmet of choice;

A rain jacket and rain pants carried in side cases;

Warm n Safe heated jacket liner carried in side cases; 

This system allows me to wear the riding jacket/pants/boots/gloves/helmet, and be comfortable up to 90 degrees F, or layer up by adding the heated liner (heat on or off) and rain jacket and be warm into the 30's....Hope this helps others who are searching for the right combo of gear.  jb

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
On 8/25/2019 at 5:30 AM, Kinsley said:

There are instructions for just about everything in life, but I've never seen any for FARTing, so whether you have a wet FART or enjoy a perfect one over several days...here you go.:4323:

Here's a link to the FART 2019 Routes as well as a PDF with instructions for loading them and brief descriptions.

I will be out of touch the first half of September, but there are many expert FARTers around here who can help with your FART experience, so reach out if you need help.

Thanks, Ken.  Always appreciate your work on the events and the routes.  Keeping the spirit alive....

• Like 1
lawnchairboy
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, EvilTwin said:

Rain is expressly prohibited at all BMWST events.

• Haha 1

There has been lot's of talk about Newbies, Gear, and Weather.  I'd like to switch your focus - What Bourbon are you bringing?  I'm thinking I'll bring some Angels Envy.  See you soon!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Folkdancer48 said:

Dave:  Please add me to the list of folks who will be arriving on Wednesday. Dick (Folkdancer48)

My pleasure, Dick! What will you be riding in Ellijay?

285361264_attendingaug30.jpg.71a065521c1b0643c7d54a6edc1711c9.jpg

Folkdancer48

Dave:  In response to your question, I am hoping to trailer a soon-to-be-purchased K1300S to the event. If that does not work out, it will likely be my K1200LT.

• Like 2

ADMINISTRIVIA

2 items:

1. Group FART Dinner FRIDAY Sept 27 : Please join us at 6:30 at El Rey Mexican Restaurant and Cantina. Look for us in the separate seating area. We will have table service for food and drinks off the menu - order (and pay) for whatever you want. El Rey is a simple 5 minute walk from our host hotel!

612017827_Screenshot_2019-08-31ElReyMexicanRestaurantandCantina.thumb.png.950e29f485199be504a0f3cbc566ddad.png

2. We've created a photo gallery for FART 2019. Please post your event preparation and travel photos there.

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/gallery/album/47-fart-2019-ellijay-ga/

• Like 2

I guess I do qualify as a first time FARTer, but I need to state for the record that I come from a long line of farters. As my great grandfather, a farmer in NW PA used to say, "A mule that farts will never tire and a man that farts is a man to hire."

Mike

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Aum said:

I guess I do qualify as a first time FARTer, but I need to state for the record that I come from a long line of farters. As my great grandfather, a farmer in NW PA used to say, "A mule that farts will never tire and a man that farts is a man to hire."

Mike

Be sure to bring your camera. You can never have too many photos of the people you FART with and you may be over qualified :)

• Haha 1

Terry - you would be correct on both counts. However, technically, that general area in disarray is actually a organizational clinic test lab... :4296:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 8/29/2019 at 8:01 AM, S.O.B. said:

There has been lot's of talk about Newbies, Gear, and Weather.  I'd like to switch your focus - What Bourbon are you bringing?  I'm thinking I'll bring some Angels Envy.  See you soon!

I like where your head is at.....

Bottle of Clayton James AND this...

Very rare indeed.  Only 5 bottles known to exist.  Signed by the Master Distiller.  :facepalm: 

IMG_4305.thumb.JPG.0593b66e07237ac84c057085f9ee3e8a.JPG

• Like 3

OK, I've listened to you guys for years talking about your bourbon.  I've never tasted bourbon so I'd appreciate if someone would save me a sip.  I'm arriving friday afternoon.  Thanks.

Edited by Marty Hill
left a word out.
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Marty Hill said:

OK, I've listened to you guys for years talking about your bourbon.  I've never tasted bourbon so I'd appreciate if someone would save me a sip.  I'm arriving friday afternoon.  Thanks.

Okay, I want to see Marty do this. We need photographic evidence of Friday night. :)

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Burt said:

I don't understand why people are drinking bourbon when good scotch is available.

I don't discriminate.  Put some grain in a tub, convert it, ferment it, distill, age it.  Mike's probably going to drink it.  (unless we're talking about the heavy peat stuff, lol).  I almost always have a Glenlivet 12yo handy.  There are no wrong answers. :18:  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Burt said:

I don't understand why people are drinking bourbon when good scotch is available.

Just in an ABC store the other day in Charlotte.  The wall of Bourbons and "American Whiskeys" was an entire side of the building -- even longer than the vodkas.   It was a beautiful thing.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Burt said:

Right?  That's just common sense Burt!

• Like 1

I won't be able to FART but don't cry for me, I'm leaving next Wednesday for Colorado with my bike on a trailer behind the Subaru and a whole week to ride where ever I want before Nancy shows up on the 21st. Got my sights set on SW Colorado. Just trying to pick which town to use as a base:  Gunnison, Ouray, Montrose? Hard to make a bad choice.

For the record, I like scotch.  I am currently reading Ghost Rider by Neil Peart and he frequently mentions The Macallan and Glenlivet.  Laura's uncle introduced me to single malt a few years ago.  I hope to have a few drinks with him when we visit in November.  Cheers!

On 9/3/2019 at 5:27 PM, greiffster said:

I like where your head is at.....

Bottle of Clayton James AND this...

Very rare indeed.  Only 5 bottles known to exist.  Signed by the Master Distiller.  :facepalm: 

IMG_4305.thumb.JPG.0593b66e07237ac84c057085f9ee3e8a.JPG

Love it! Batch 001 no less - a collectors edition. But let's face it, everything from Settlers is an instant collectors edition. I note the first two bottle are gone already, such is the demand - probably auctioned off to raise funds for charity, yes?

10 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

For the record, I like scotch.  I am currently reading Ghost Rider by Neil Peart and he frequently mentions The Macallan and Glenlivet.  Laura's uncle introduced me to single malt a few years ago.  I hope to have a few drinks with him when we visit in November.  Cheers!

William, you have that going for you, which is nice!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Love it! Batch 001 no less - a collectors edition. But let's face it, everything from Settlers is an instant collectors edition. I note the first two bottle are gone already, such is the demand - probably auctioned off to raise funds for charity, yes?

Yeah right.  The first bottle resides in my daughters apartment at school.  I hear its been opened (and likely emptied).  Bottle 2 is actually in a friends collection of well over 300 bottles and is on the shelf next to the William Larue Weller (delicious, but insanely priced).

• Like 1

Well, I'm finally checking back in after having most of my summer consumed by looking for, finding, then purchasing a home here in GA finally and it's even 4.5 miles closer to Ellijay!

Unfortunately, I have to cut my plans just a bit short. Instead of arriving Wed evening, I'll now be arriving Thursday, but in the am.  I'm going to get up at the crack of dawn and ride the grueling 61 miles to Ellijay. I should arrive before many of you even get out of bed, though certainly not before Ken, Bernie, and a few others are on the road.  So in the end I'm only loosing Wed evening's revelries, Farting around with you folks and drinking bourbon. I am however, bringing bourbon for Fartin' around Thurs, Fri (when my way better half arrives with more bourbon), and Sat night.  

Really happy to see so many new face willing to come Fart around in public! Welcome to all first Farters!  

For anyone wondering about there being good roads in that area … Pfft!  Be ready for a fantastic time. 

• Like 3
On 9/3/2019 at 9:54 AM, Aum said:

Mike

Welcome!

I have only one thing to say to your great grandfather's saying … Whaaaa? :14:

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TyTass said:

Well, I'm finally checking back in after having most of my summer consumed by looking for, finding, then purchasing a home here in GA finally and it's even 4.5 miles closer to Ellijay!

Unfortunately, I have to cut my plans just a bit short. Instead of arriving Wed evening, I'll now be arriving Thursday, but in the am.  I'm going to get up at the crack of dawn and ride the grueling 61 miles to Ellijay. I should arrive before many of you even get out of bed, though certainly not before Ken, Bernie, and a few others are on the road.  So in the end I'm only loosing Wed evening's revelries, Farting around with you folks and drinking bourbon. I am however, bringing bourbon for Fartin' around Thurs, Fri (when my way better half arrives with more bourbon), and Sat night.  

Really happy to see so many new face willing to come Fart around in public! Welcome to all first Farters!  

For anyone wondering about there being good roads in that area … Pfft!  Be ready for a fantastic time. 

It will be good to see y'all Craig, congratulations on the new home.

Terry

• Like 1

Just looked over the latest "Who's Going" list and noticed I was not on it. So to the diappointment of many I am "in" and arriving on Wednesday. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Great to have Deb and Chris with us again - no emergency trips to the vet this year! 

As of Sept 9th - still time for YOU to join us!

1190845358_attendingsept9.jpg.0a1c4809062d8be0faf24095a1f60436.jpg

• Like 1