IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sept 25-29 Ellijay, GA

Indy Dave

On 7/8/2019 at 10:15 AM, Indy Dave said:

Welcome!

Here's kind of a summary of a good FART:

These events tend to be loosely structured, allowing riders to make their own way, on their own schedule. There are a few 'constants', however.

1) At the end of the day, the hotel parking lot becomes a social gathering with riders sharing their version of the day's ride and other stories, often while sampling adult beverages. There is a enthusiastic Bourbon contingent and allegedly we have some home distillers in our midst. One provides their own refreshments - but plenty of sharing takes place..

2) Our newest tradition is Endobob's Pizza Extravaganza on Thursday night. This happens at the hotel and compliments item 1 above. The cost is whatever the pizza itself costs.

3) Friday night we have a group meal together. Details for the meal are announced about a month before the event.

You are more than welcome to join us, we'd love to have you! Feel free to join us on whatever day works into your schedule. You are more than welcome to camp,  keeping in mind that most activity is based around the host hotel.

It's worth noting that we do not organize any rides! Kinsley will provide several GPS routes of differing lengths that start at the hotel and include a lunch stop and return options of differing distances. Some riders ride alone, some in very small groups and some in small groups. Finding a group to ride with is easily done - generally during the parking lot social the night before or early the next morning. Some leave at the crack of dawn, most leave at more normal hours and still others need their beauty sleep - so there's something for everyone. These routes are famously outstanding! They will be released about a month before the event.

Others may chime in with some more insight or to add on something I've left out.

Please let us know if you have any questions  - Kinsley and I would love to have you join us!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

All I can add to this is that, is that if you enjoy exploring and/or riding hidden or forgotten roads, this is the event for that.

These events for me have always been about riding on some of the best roads in this country. Most can be very scenic, but also technically very challenging. You get out of it what you put in it, is a saying that really applies here. 

If you enjoy riding through some nice hilly farm land and seeking out some little country cafes for lunch or pie, or if you decide to challenge yourself and turn up the wick on some secret little, bumpy and twisty tarmac, the choice is yours.

There are so many little undiscovered roads with almost no traffic in the surrounding areas, that you will be pleasantly surprised. So take a chance and turn down that small road and see what you discover, jus t make sure you stop and turn around if you come across a No Trespassing sign. LOL

So the best recommendations I can make to anyone, is to come with tires with plenty of live left, have a bike in good conditions and get familiar with your GPS device or the navigation App of your choice. Then Go and Explore all the small nooks and crannies of this beautiful country.

And for those worried about Georgia, you can be in less then 30 minutes using some secret roads in TN or NC and safe from any of your followers. :3: 

Even though I am not a dirt road/bike rider, there are several guys in the group, that may very well show a few secret or hidden unpaved roads and water crossings, to keep your interest and let you make some new memories. Or at least get some mud on your old ones. 

As for tires:

Before START 2019:

A780CEF5-C555-41E4-8B62-46723D4E418E.thumb.jpeg.2681b7020e26fed1c59f4f40751b604c.jpeg

After START 2019:

EB7BBF02-64FB-4617-8615-7152D09CB6DE.thumb.jpeg.414577d23ec67c4026c00c4b45b1b81c.jpeg

Hope to see you all at FART 2019, September 25-29 2019.

Safe travels!

• Like 4
9 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

GPS routes will likely be posted soon.  See the attached map from a past gathering.  If you show up and stand in a corner all by yourself, that will be your experience.  If you walk up to any person or small group, hold out your hand and introduce yourself, you'll be welcomed.  Typically, there are few riders who ride in small groups - no parade marshals needed.  The original and I think current intent behind these events is primarily to provide riding opportunities.  The social aspect is a small, but important part - pizza and beer one night, a casual group dinner another.  If you don't get back in time for one or the other because you found some great roads, you'll be congratulated, not scolded.  There are no group hugs and with the exception of one or two guys, we don't wash and polish our bikes between rides.:shake:

Hope to see you there.

UN XVI 2017 - Route Info Booklet.pdfUnavailable

Thanks John,

folks on the forum seem like some pretty outstanding people, so no problem with the social aspect.  I guess that my main concern was the roads, since the places that I have been to in GA were pretty flat and traffic congested (Brunswick and Atlanta mainly).  I see that you posted the route info, so thanks for that. Unfortunately, I get an access restriction error when I tried to open it.  Not sure if it is my browser settings since I get a (different) error anytime that I click an emailed link to a discussion as well.  Cookies are on and ad-block is off for this site, so I will do a little fiddling in the settings and try to access it again. :)

4 hours ago, Bernie said:

All I can add to this is that, is that if you enjoy exploring and/or riding hidden or forgotten roads, this is the event for that.

These events for me have always been about riding on some of the best roads in this country. Most can be very scenic, but also technically very challenging. You get out of it what you put in it, is a saying that really applies here. 

If you enjoy riding through some nice hilly farm land and seeking out some little country cafes for lunch or pie, or if you decide to challenge yourself and turn up the wick on some secret little, bumpy and twisty tarmac, the choice is yours.

There are so many little undiscovered roads with almost no traffic in the surrounding areas, that you will be pleasantly surprised. So take a chance and turn down that small road and see what you discover, jus t make sure you stop and turn around if you come across a No Trespassing sign. LOL

So the best recommendations I can make to anyone, is to come with tires with plenty of live left, have a bike in good conditions and get familiar with your GPS device or the navigation App of your choice. Then Go and Explore all the small nooks and crannies of this beautiful country.

And for those worried about Georgia, you can be in less then 30 minutes using some secret roads in TN or NC and safe from any of your followers. :3: 

Even though I am not a dirt road/bike rider, there are several guys in the group, that may very well show a few secret or hidden unpaved roads and water crossings, to keep your interest and let you make some new memories. Or at least get some mud on your old ones. 

As for tires:

Before START 2019:

A780CEF5-C555-41E4-8B62-46723D4E418E.thumb.jpeg.2681b7020e26fed1c59f4f40751b604c.jpeg

After START 2019:

EB7BBF02-64FB-4617-8615-7152D09CB6DE.thumb.jpeg.414577d23ec67c4026c00c4b45b1b81c.jpeg

Hope to see you all at FART 2019, September 25-29 2019.

Safe travels!

Looks like the new tires will be getting a good work-out, lol

2 hours ago, dp-R1100RT said:

Looks like the new tires will be getting a good work-out, lol

From what I hear from fellow ..ART people, Bernie is one of the "crack of dawn riders," although I have yet to see him for confirmation.   HA

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Thanks Dave,

John attached a route map of some sort from a previous FART, but I am getting an access permission error when I try to view it.  That is not a major issue - I will just pull up the main location in Google maps, and have a look around the surrounding area.  I'm looking forward to making this if I can schedule it in for a few days. :)

terryofperry
On 7/12/2019 at 5:13 PM, Mark Mikita said:

Hello all,

Mark Mikita here. I’m a new member. I was recently invited to attend FART by one of your regular riders and now plan to ride Thursday and Friday. Really looking forward to meeting everyone and enjoying some wonderful riding. See you soon.

It will be great to have you join us Mark, Looking forward to meeting you.

Terry

• Like 1
terryofperry
On 7/10/2019 at 7:42 AM, Charles said:

Are there still places available?

Hope to see you in Ellijay Charles, it is always a good time with great people.

Terry 

• Like 1
terryofperry
On 8/2/2019 at 1:13 PM, Rhino said:

Another newbie here!  In the 25th to the 29th.

Welcome, glad you can join us.

Terry

• Like 1
On 8/3/2019 at 7:46 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Greg and Ken's Route Booklet from the 2017 UnRally is a fantastic collection of great advice and routes in that part of our great country! :18:

I keep a hard copy of it and often refer to it prior to taking trips to northern George and southwest North Carolina.  

• Like 2
On 7/20/2019 at 9:49 PM, EvilTwin said:

Thinking about joining this little adventure.  Would be my first long ride, about 550 miles coming from Norfolk Virginia.  Anybody else coming down from  VA/MD that would like a ride along buddy?

I'm in.  Made reservation this morning, got clearance from better half last night.  Clearance came with a requirement, she doesn't want me to ride the whole trip alone, can't say I blame her.  So if anybody is traveling down from VA/MD and wants to travel together, please let me know. 

My other option is to put the bike on the trailer and drive down.  Not as much fun, but obviously will make her feel better.  If I do that, I can actually carry another bike since the trailer is configured to haul my Can Am and has two wheel chocks and is plenty wide.  If somebody wants to drive down with me, I can carry bike and passenger in comfort.   It's probably a 10 hour ride down, so I would be leaving o dark thirty or around 5 in the morning give or take.

Bob

IMG_20190628_174818741_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
lawnchairboy

I’m in chesapeake, will be riding.  Enclosed double trailer is also option.  We’d-sun for me.

• Like 1
On 8/6/2019 at 9:55 AM, EvilTwin said:

I'm in.

Bob

:5188:  :18:  We look forward to meeting you Bob! I'll get you added to the list when I return from vacation.

• Like 2
On 8/7/2019 at 9:20 PM, Indy Dave said:

:5188:  :18:  We look forward to meeting you Bob! I'll get you added to the list when I return from vacation.

Dave - I think you get to take more vacations a year than anyone I know!   :thumbsup:   

Please be sure that none of your vacations ever keep you from attending/organizing with Ken our STARTs and FARTs!  Just wouldn't be the same events without you! :18:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 8/7/2019 at 9:20 PM, Indy Dave said:

Sounds good.  I'll be from Wed to Sunday as well.

• Like 2
On 8/9/2019 at 9:11 PM, Endobobdds said:

Dave - I think you get to take more vacations a year than anyone I know!   :thumbsup:   

Please be sure that none of your vacations ever keep you from attending/organizing with Ken our STARTs and FARTs!  Just wouldn't be the same events without you! :18:

On 8/10/2019 at 8:20 AM, wbw6cos said:

I heard that he has to take vacations from vacations.  You know, to recover?

No doubt the last two summers I've had more than my share. All good things must come to an end, or as Scotty would say, "If we continue at this rate, I cannot be responsible for the safety of the ship..." Or something like that.   :4331:However, like the majority of 'ARTers, START and FART are the first events blocked off the calendar each year. :19:

6 weeks till Ellijay!

1012500798_attendingaug13.jpg.ec1edb8bb6ef6006ff0f12f0371b9311.jpg

• Like 3
5 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Will I need gun bearers or a machete to make a path?

No...not this time :3:

Well paved roads in a concentrated area, some of which don't even show up on Basecamp.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Kinsley said:

No...not this time :3:

Well paved roads in a concentrated area, some of which don't even show up on Basecamp.

Will I need a translator?

Most roads are new to us, as we have a very short memory span. All you have to do is reverse the routes and we are all lost. :4322:

Thank you again for making great routes and finding new roads. :5185:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, Bernie said:

Will I need a translator?

Most roads are new to us, as we have a very short memory span. All you have to do is reverse the routes and we are all lost. :4322:

Thank you again for making great routes and finding new roads. :5185:

No translator needed but you may have to mute your GPS when it thinks you're not on a road :)

That is so true about memory and riding the opposite direction.

You're probably the one person that MAY have ridden all the roads in the routes, but I'll let you tell me at FART :18:

• Haha 3
lawnchairboy

just got off the phone with Evil twin (bob) .

new to our group,

go ez on him.   He's a fellow old sailor....  

we shall arrive wednesday, make sure you introduce yourself to Bob.   

see you all soon.

• Like 3

In less than 6 weeks, there will be a collective Blow Out in Ellijay for FART 2019! :5210:

From Kinsley's and my standpoint, details are all set and now it seems time is passing rather slowly. :4331:To combat that, Kinsley did what any of us would do - he went riding this morning :bike: and trippple checked our lodging! Rumor has it he also rode 2 days worth of his FART routes as well - and all before 2pm!

IMG_1441.thumb.jpg.7e4970893fbb089fb78fe0c3b1c7ac65.jpg

It's not too early to be checking your gear, bike and tires! And yes - there's room for you (and your friends) if you've not yet signed up!

• Like 4

I hate that he had to ride all those routes prior to the FART.  I mean what a sacrifice he has to endure.  Oh my, the humanity.  :bike:

Kudos!!

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

I hate that he had to ride all those routes prior to the FART.  I mean what a sacrifice he has to endure.  Oh my, the humanity.  :bike:

Kudos!!

I give...and give, there is no end to the sacrifices I make for people I FART with:3:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
On 8/3/2019 at 3:58 PM, dp-R1100RT said:

Thanks John,

".... I guess that my main concern was the roads, since the places that I have been to in GA were pretty flat and traffic congested (Brunswick and Atlanta mainly)..."

DP,

I'm from Atlanta, have been riding N GA since forever.  I'm going to check with you after the first couple of days to make sure you are sufficiently entertained to at lease keep you awake.  This ain't Brunswick.  Or Atlanta.  And if you haven't done it by then, take you out of Suches on 180 (or 60).   Then we'll check your pulse!!

I think you'll be ok.

We're glad you're coming!!

Lowndes

• Like 2
RandyShields

Quote:  DP, I'm from Atlanta, have been riding N GA since forever.  I'm going to check with you after the first couple of days to make sure you are sufficiently entertained to at lease keep you awake.  This ain't Brunswick.  Or Atlanta.  And if you haven't done it by then, take you out of Suches on 180 (or 60).   Then we'll check your pulse!!

I think you'll be ok.

We're glad you're coming!!

Lowndes

Roger that.  Some of the best curvy and scenic roads in the country.

Randy

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, Kinsley said:

Yes, getting new rubber soon and a link to the routes should be posted on Sunday.

New tires mounted last weekend. Trying not to use them up before I leave for FART 2019.  :5200:

• Like 3

New tires, new front brake pads, and new TPMS sensors all installed yesterday.

EDIT:  the front pads had 38,253 miles on them.  The tech said they'd probably last for another tire change, but I asked him to go ahead and replace them now.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, marcopolo said:

New tires, new front brake pads, and new TPMS sensors all installed yesterday.

That was an expensive day.

Also new tires, engine and tranny oil changed by me along with air filter.  Rear diff service done 3k miles ago.  May still need to look at brakes, they were done at the last dealer service but thats about 2 years ago.

IMG_20190817_145039788.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, BMW_Ken said:

That was an expensive day.

Yes it was, though not quite as much as I had expected.  My independent tech charged the normal labour cost for swapping the tires, but no labour for installing the new brake pads, and no labour for the TPMS sensors - and "activating" them with computer/GS-911 -, along with the usual road test.  I'll only be eating hot dogs at FART.

• Haha 2
23 hours ago, marcopolo said:

Yes it was, though not quite as much as I had expected.  My independent tech charged the normal labour cost for swapping the tires, but no labour for installing the new brake pads, and no labour for the TPMS sensors - and "activating" them with computer/GS-911 -, along with the usual road test.  I'll only be eating hot dogs at FART.

And Endo's Pizza!

I have to admit, I'm quite jealous of you guys getting your bikes all set to go. Mine has been dry docked for what seems like an eternity . .  :87::88:

552088719_bikeonjack.thumb.jpg.2547b6ee297404e45198008fc41af75f.jpg

• Sad 2

Could be worse Dave. My bike is finally ready to ride again as it went from THIS

GS1.jpg.c6c1d597ef0c6c8949e9158123a55792.jpg

To THIS this past weekend. Thanks to Alan and Joel for their help in getting the shock replacement done.

GS2.jpg.f3adf8e363dd3e763c239ab844457b8a.jpg

• Like 2

Holy R Bike Tonsillectomy! You've done well, good Sir and given me a sliver of hope. By my count, that makes 3 folks FARTing that will show up with new suspension.

I'm doing my best here to look at this with optimism and as reason for hope,:4296: in what has now become a very bad and long running joke.

I'm glad at least someone has Ted's attention . . .

Looking forward to see you and hearing about your new suspension.

• Like 1

Well ok...maybe its time to get old Helga back together...:4317:...actually she's been back and working well for a couple months now...had to ring

out any issues before FART!:18:

2019-08-23 22.34.43.jpg

• Like 2

There are instructions for just about everything in life, but I've never seen any for FARTing, so whether you have a wet FART or enjoy a perfect one over several days...here you go.:4323:

Here's a link to the FART 2019 Routes as well as a PDF with instructions for loading them and brief descriptions.

I will be out of touch the first half of September, but there are many expert FARTers around here who can help with your FART experience, so reach out if you need help.

• Like 8
terryofperry
3 hours ago, Kinsley said:

There are instructions for just about everything in life, but I've never seen any for FARTing, so whether you have a wet FART or enjoy a perfect one over several days...here you go.:4323:

Here's a link to the FART 2019 Routes as well as a PDF with instructions for loading them and brief descriptions.

I will be out of touch the first half of September, but there are many expert FARTers around here who can help with your FART experience, so reach out if you need help.

:3: Do you really believe anyone other than you can explain your routing? :3:

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

New to this forum, but not to motorcycling, and looking forward to meeting folks in Ellijay next month.  Just back from 2000+ miles in Calif. and the Smokies are calling me home.

John Beasley

• Like 5
2 hours ago, bimmer2 said:

New to this forum, but not to motorcycling, and looking forward to meeting folks in Ellijay next month.  Just back from 2000+ miles in Calif. and the Smokies are calling me home.

John Beasley

Download and install the routes on your navigation device of choice. Looking forward to meeting all the newbies and Oldies. :wave:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bimmer2 said:

John Beasley

Welcome to the BMWST Forum - look forward to meeting you.  I checked your profile and it only tells us your birth date that does not seem possible:  "1/19/2019

Would be nice to know where you live, how long you have been riding, etc.   

7 hours ago, bimmer2 said:

John Beasley

Welcome, John!! We all look forward to meeting you and hearing about your Trip out West and back!  We're glad you found us and will be joining us! :18:

As of Aug. 25:

42604412_attendingaug25.jpg.7ae1ee21b66f592d3d458f6309e38f70.jpg