IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) - Sept 25-29 Ellijay, GA

Indy Dave

Indy Dave

Reminder: This post will be updated with the most current information.

1383191049_2019FARTinfoslidefinalfinal.jpg.fa05e128cc81ae3623abf974800dbbc8.jpg

625077751_2019FARTEllijayGAeventsfinalfinal.thumb.jpg.3154105220e0111b8a2fd535177cf5d1.jpg

1. Group FART Dinner FRIDAY Sept 27 : Please join us at 6:30 at El Rey Mexican Restaurant and Cantina. Look for us in the separate seating area. We will have table service for food and drinks off the menu - order (and pay) for whatever you want. El Rey is a simple 5 minute walk from our host hotel!

612017827_Screenshot_2019-08-31ElReyMexicanRestaurantandCantina.thumb.png.950e29f485199be504a0f3cbc566ddad.png

We've created a photo gallery for FART 2019. Please post your event preparation and travel photos there.

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/gallery/album/47-fart-2019-ellijay-ga/

As of Sept 19th:

1180517649_attendingsept19.jpg.ad117443604fc4bb57654063b3027348.jpg

• Like 4
Indy Dave

752165061_hotel1.thumb.jpg.b5b0a1e89e400ef2165e1e344ed61144.jpg

44288886_hotel2crop.thumb.jpg.7143cd7517ecb6eba6f8ffa4d940c483.jpg

Note the close proximity of a parts store and beverage store.:5210:

1057646843_2019FARTellijaymap.thumb.jpg.710666a26ae5b72a7564832ec0e95d6f.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Mark (Marcopolo) and I will be there - reservations made!  :thumbsup:   

I noted a pizza to go place within walking distance.

• Like 5
John Ranalletta

Ruth and I are IN!  Reservations made.

I just remembered the guy at the motel didn't ask for dates.  I'll call back.

Update, just called to say we didn't talk dates.  The guy says, "25th through 29th".  That works for me but if you need something different, make sure to specify when making reservation.

• Like 2

Since it's only 35 miles from our house, I think I will be a day tripper for FART this year. On your way to or from East Ellijay, if you ride through Dahlonega in the morning, the Foothill Grill is a great breakfast joint.

As always, if someone wants a free bed, PM me, as we have a spare bedroom and a closed garage with tools. Alas, no motorcycle shops are left near Dahlonega, except for a dirt bike shop. 

P1050758 - Edited.jpg

• Like 1

For all those that like to camp:  Glamping

Sleep in a geodesic dome tent at Elatse'Yi in Ellijay, Georgia Elatse'Yi in Ellijay, Georgia
Elatse’Yi

Elatse’Yi is unique glamping experience, with a geodesic dome, Airstream, and cabins with outdoor showers and open air kitchens. Goats and chickens live on the site.

Reminds me of a place @Bernie, @Bud and I camped at while at one of our events in Blowing Rock:

IMG_0692.thumb.jpg.765fd8d43e8c3cd2e956596c90fed326.jpg

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Endobobdds said:

Reminds me of a place @Bernie, @Bud and I camped at while at one of our events in Blowing Rock:

IMG_0692.thumb.jpg.765fd8d43e8c3cd2e956596c90fed326.jpg

Thank you Bob for refreshing the memories. That was the KOA in Boone, NC, before the Blowing Rock event.

I can't remember, but I think it was the 2013 Un-Rally XII.i-7t2XLDq.png.c8a1f2e44077f326b9b80e31e1d5025d.png

• Like 3

We are booked!  As luck would have it, I will be attending the pizza party, too!.   The rookie in me wants to know what the protocol is for reserving me some pie.   Mmmmmm, pie.   Any hoo, I will be arriving Thursday afternoonish and leaving Sunday afternoonish.  Due to all the excitement and fun I had at START, the newbie in me wants to know if the 2020 START will be announced at the FART dinner.   I know, I know,  one ART at a time, but enquiring minds......

• Like 4
greiffster
3 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

We are booked!  As luck would have it, I will be attending the pizza party, too!.   The rookie in me wants to know what the protocol is for reserving me some pie.   Mmmmmm, pie.   Any hoo, I will be arriving Thursday afternoonish and leaving Sunday afternoonish.  Due to all the excitement and fun I had at START, the newbie in me wants to know if the 2020 START will be announced at the FART dinner.   I know, I know,  one ART at a time, but enquiring minds......

It has been SOP to reveal the next spring START at the fall FART.  BUT,  that is entirely up to the fine gentlemen (aka Ken and Dave) who graciously make the effort to coordinate the twice yearly cat herding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi William - Professor of All Things Wise and resident Distiller Mike is correct. As for the EndoBob's Pizza Extravaganza  (and autograph session), it's a fairly causal affair and as early as a week or two before FARTing - (or maybe as late as the day of) we'll announce the price and you simply show up and pitch in (bringing your own beverage). It's solely a cover the cost of pizza kind of thing - so nothing gets set in stone until the event is nearly upon us. :5223:

Looking forward to seeing (more of) you in Elliajy!

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, 60Aviator said:

In! Wed-Sun

14 hours ago, Marty Hill said:

In friday and saturday.

:clap::clap:

Great, look forward to seeing you both in Ellijay!! I'm currently traveling, but will add you both to the List of Esteemed Attendees later in the week. :read:

• Like 1

Michelle and I are In Thursday through Sunday. I assured her that Nicole will be in attendance. 

• Like 2
Medic Mike

Dave:

I cannot see what the hotel location is one the front page.  The .jpg that is being used for some reason is not showing up where I can read them.

Thank you

Mike

• Like 1
Medic Mike

Thank you Sir

Mike

I am IN!  Reservations made for Wed-Sun.  See everyone in a few months. 

Mike

• Like 2
On 5/22/2019 at 6:30 PM, Medic Mike said:

I am IN!  Reservations made for Wed-Sun.  See everyone in a few months. 

Mike

On 5/24/2019 at 3:04 PM, Slumgullion said:

In if the the Lord doesn't return nor the creek rise Wednesday until I'm forced to leave!

:5210:  Wouldn't be the same without ya! Glad you both can FART with us.

379790051_attendingmay25.jpg.a211de19d6f9e098476beaf36ab1721f.jpg

• Like 1

We are IN!

Well, Terri will have to drive Friday after work. She still won't have leave by then. The good news is it's a very easy 1 hour drive.  I'll be arriving on Wed.   

We were just there on Sunday, after exploring a couple N GA vineyards/Wineries. The place looks simple but very convenient.

Already out of King rooms. If anyone who has a King Room decides to cancel please PM me. I'll take your King room.

Cheers!

Craig

• Like 4

Just an FYI  regarding weekend riding in Ellijay area:

This weekend is two week before the start of the Apple Festival. However, there will still be a lot of folk out looking for apples.  On Sat & Sun, the main highways and arteries will be polluted with very slow drivers in a slow frenzy to get fresh apples.  They have a tendency to stop very suddenly, very slowly veer off the road into a parking lot, but then quickly reenter the highway once they discover the Orchard they were looking for is another quarter mile further down the road on the other side, where who knows what will happen when they arrive there?   I recommend you keep to the back roads, which I have no doubt Ken's routes will keep you on. But for those who want to just make up your own routes, I recommend avoiding the following segments:

• Hwy 52 btwn SR 5 to the intersection of Hwy 52/Hwy 136. That's like Apple Orchard Alley.
  • Blue Ridge Drive btwn Blue Ridge and McCaysville GA. Almost as bad due to one Orchard ... Merciers. It's huge and draws a lot of people. 

Again, I wouldn't expect those roads to be bad during the weekdays except they are major arteries so you should expect delivery trucks and trailers. So I still recommend avoiding those segments because they rather bland segments and not worth taking. 

• Like 2

Duh! (that means IN!). Weds-Sun

And for anyone interested and having read Craig's post above, Brian and I were plotting to bring the F650 singles this time to spend more time on the non-so-paved roads.  So who's in?

Cheers!

• Like 2

Craig, Terri and Christopher  - Great news you will be joining the Ellijay Crew FARTing. Thanks for the heads up on the potential Sour Apples invading our event, Craig!

My fellow Pavement Warriors (now minus the rider formally known as Lone RT Rider) will look forward to hearing of Brian and Christopher's + company's adventures! :stir:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Griefster - Distiller Mike?  I think Distiller Dan rolls off the tongue much better.  Pick out what you are bringing to FART?

• Like 1

To add to the fun, the Six Gap Century and three Gap Fifty bicycle rides will be September 28-29. Best to avoid anything south of Ellijay-Blairsville that weekend, as the roads will be packed with hundreds (if not more than 1000) of bicycle riders. East Tennessee and west NC should be fine.

• Like 1
RandyShields
On 6/19/2019 at 3:35 PM, Selden said:

To add to the fun, the Six Gap Century and three Gap Fifty bicycle rides will be September 28-29. Best to avoid anything south of Ellijay-Blairsville that weekend, as the roads will be packed with hundreds (if not more than 1000) of bicycle riders. East Tennessee and west NC should be fine.

Very important info.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Summer is just getting going, but Fall will be here all too soon. Plan now to end the 'official' riding season with a bang by joining us in Ellijay!

471646337_attendingjuly3.jpg.38ea97a1943c19ee5fa707635662d1d5.jpg

• Like 1
greiffster
On 6/19/2019 at 12:37 PM, S.O.B. said:

Griefster - Distiller Mike?  I think Distiller Dan rolls off the tongue much better.  Pick out what you are bringing to FART?

I have a few ideas currently on the bar.  But most won't make it to the end of September.  Perhaps a bottle of Clayton James Tennessee Whiskey.

I've also got a batch of my stuff to bring.

• Like 2
greiffster
On 6/19/2019 at 2:35 PM, Selden said:

According to the website, the Criterium is on Saturday.  That is local to downtown Dahlonega.  I'd stay out of there.  But the century and Fifty is on Sunday.  So. i'd avoid those roads on the way home.  Here is the route...

Six_Gap_Route_Map_NO_YEAR_Web.pdf

1 hour ago, lawnchairboy said:

IN.  Wed-Sat

Been a while. 

Woo Hoo! It has been a while, but to be fair - you've had some events you intended to attend, but forces worked against you. Kinsley and I know that each time someone's plans are thwarted and they have to cancel attending, defenses are doubled and shored up to fend off the next time The Best Laid Plans are at risk of interfering with FARTing

• Like 1

Might a not-so-recent regular on the site be welcome to attend? Also was thinking of camping...would this work out (something close like Plum Nelly Campground)?

Thanks

Tom

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ThomasJ said:

Might a not-so-recent regular on the site be welcome to attend? Also was thinking of camping...would this work out (something close like Plum Nelly Campground)?

Thanks

Tom

All are always welcomed!   :18:

• Like 1

Hi Tom - These events tend to be loosely structured, allowing riders to make their own way, on their own schedule. There are a few 'constants', however.

1) At the end of the day, the hotel parking lot becomes a social gathering with riders sharing their version of the day's ride and other stories, often while sampling adult beverages. There is a enthusiastic Bourbon contingent and allegedly we have some home distillers in our midst. One provides their own refreshments - but plenty of sharing takes place..

2) Our newest tradition is Endobob's Pizza Extravaganza on Thursday night. This happens at the hotel and compliments item 1 above. The cost is whatever the pizza itself costs.

3) Friday night we have a group meal together. Details for the meal are announced about a month before the event.

You are more than welcome to join us, we'd love to have you! Feel free to join us on whatever day works into your schedule. You are more than welcome to camp,  keeping in mind that most activity is based around the host hotel.

It's worth noting that we do not organize any rides! Kinsley will provide several GPS routes of differing lengths that start at the hotel and include a lunch stop and return options of differing distances. Some riders ride alone, some in very small groups and some in small groups. Finding a group to ride with is easily done - generally during the parking lot social the night before or early the next morning. Some leave at the crack of dawn, most leave at more normal hours and still others need their beauty sleep - so there's something for everyone. These routes are famously outstanding! They will be released about a month before the event.

Others may chime in with some more insight or to add on something I've left out.

Please let us know if you have any questions  - Kinsley and I would love to have you join us!

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 1

Thats  great...thank you gents for the kind invite....I'll get going on making reservations...will either pull in late Wednesday or Thursday noonish....

Thanks again...greatly appreciated.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

Dave, I think you should tell newbies about the first night initiation ceremonies.  I know we take an oath of silence, but....

• Haha 2

I just did my my first START in Sparta and this will be my first FART so I guess I am in the clear.  Am I right?   :5146:

• Haha 1