IGNORED

R1100RS Fueling issues when hot

Motoscout

Motoscout

I have had no issues with the you fueling on my bike normally, but after "giving at the beans" to pass slower traffic it sputters as if it is not getting fuel. Pulling over in letting it rest seems to resolve the issue, but as it gets warmer it seems to be happening more frequently. The engine temp gauge is not showing abnormally high temps as it rarely, if ever, gets past the middle of the gauge. It's happened twice after lengthy rides and a brief period at high revs, but on yesterday's 20 minute ride home from work it started to do it and I really hadn't revved it up at all. Any thoughts? Thanks!

dirtrider
22 minutes ago, Motoscout said:

I have had no issues with the you fueling on my bike normally, but after "giving at the beans" to pass slower traffic it sputters as if it is not getting fuel. Pulling over in letting it rest seems to resolve the issue, but as it gets warmer it seems to be happening more frequently. The engine temp gauge is not showing abnormally high temps as it rarely, if ever, gets past the middle of the gauge. It's happened twice after lengthy rides and a brief period at high revs, but on yesterday's 20 minute ride home from work it started to do it and I really hadn't revved it up at all. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Afternoon Motoscout

Your problem could be  a number of things from a plugging fuel filter, to a plugged fuel tank vent, to a small split in the "U"  shape hose inside the fuel tank, to ???????.

The letting the bike sit then getting better sort of points to a plugged tank vent or plugged evap canister.

After you ride the bike for a while do you get any hissing or a whooshing sound  when you open the fuel tank cap??  If so then suspect a plugged evap canister or a plugged tank vent.

Installing a new fuel filter is a bit of a job as the fuel tank must be removed so you might start with a fuel return hose flow test (to see how much fuel is returning out of the fuel return hose) as that will tell you if you have a plugged fuel filter or a split "U" shaped hose.   

Motoscout

DR, I didn't read the whole message for some reason the first time around.

After you ride the bike for a while do you get any hissing or a whooshing sound  when you open the fuel tank cap??  If so then suspect a plugged evap canister or a plugged tank vent. I'll have to check that as I didn't open the tank cap.  Yesterday's shorter ride I did stop for gas and put 93 in it hoping the 89 I used last fill up was contributing to it.

Installing a new fuel filter is a bit of a job as the fuel tank must be removed so you might start with a fuel return hose flow test (to see how much fuel is returning out of the fuel return hose) as that will tell you if you have a plugged fuel filter or a split "U" shaped hose.   A previous owner did move the fuel filter to the outside behind the right head so that won't be that bad if I need to replace it.

• 1 month later...
roger 04 rt

Because it’s easy, I strongly suggest you do the return fuel test that DR suggested. It will rule out (or not) a fuel supply issue.