IGNORED

R1200RT Replacement seat, tires

Mike05

If "ignorance is bliss" I must have been one happy camper before joining this group; I've learned more in my first few weeks of membership then I could have imagined; this is a great forum.

The latest opportunity is twofold; Replacement tires and Afrer-market Seat .

Tires: I'm not a straight-up rider; I like the twisties and "fun" rides on back roads as well as "trip" riding from one place to another. (I'm no kid either so my version of sport riding just might cause some folks to shake their heads and chuckle) That being said, a tire offering a combination of adhesion and durability would be appropriate (yeah, I know, "you really think so Mike?!?). I don't want to replace rubber every 5,000 miles but don't need to get 15,000 miles on a set at the cost of cornering adhesion. Choices seem to be between: Conti "Road Attacks" vs. "Michelin "Pilot Roads" Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

[ Seats: I'm lost. Corbin, Bill/Rick Meyer, Sargent (not yet available), Russell... I've looked at most of what's out there with the end result that I'm confused.

What I'm looking for is (long-distance) comfort while retaining as much as possible the lines of the bike. I don't care for a "bucket" look that dramatically increases seat width but realize some dimensional change is inevitable. Anyone familiar with the "Wunderlich Ergo Seat"? All comments/recommendations appreciated.

Thanks everyone and Happy Easter to you and yours.

Regards,

Mike McKennedy

Hey Mike, I have had lots of luck with Corbin’s (I even know Mike Corbin, but this does not sway me in any way, on a 10 hour ride my butt knows no loyalty outside of comfort). I could swear he said he has seats for the 05,06 RT. I’m posting because since picking my RT up in January I’ve only had the opportunity to do about 5 hours in a stretch, but found the stock seat (not the low rider) surprisingly adequate. That all may change this summer of course.

I have made it a tradition when I get a new bike of heading down to Corbin’s place in Hollister on any given Saturday to get a seat custom fitted. I’m not sure I’m going to do it with the RT though.

Also, if it matters, you may lose the ability to adjust the seat if you get an after market seat, I’m only assuming.

Mike

If "ignorance is bliss" I must have been one happy camper before joining this group; I've learned more in my first few weeks of membership then I could have imagined; this is a great forum.

The latest opportunity is twofold; Replacement tires and Afrer-market Seat .

Tires: I'm not a straight-up rider; I like the twisties and "fun" rides on back roads as well as "trip" riding from one place to another. (I'm no kid either so my version of sport riding just might cause some folks to shake their heads and chuckle) That being said, a tire offering a combination of adhesion and durability would be appropriate (yeah, I know, "you really think so Mike?!?). I don't want to replace rubber every 5,000 miles but don't need to get 15,000 miles on a set at the cost of cornering adhesion. Choices seem to be between: Conti "Road Attacks" vs. "Michelin "Pilot Roads" Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

[ Seats: I'm lost. Corbin, Bill/Rick Meyer, Sargent (not yet available), Russell... I've looked at most of what's out there with the end result that I'm confused.

What I'm looking for is (long-distance) comfort while retaining as much as possible the lines of the bike. I don't care for a "bucket" look that dramatically increases seat width but realize some dimensional change is inevitable. Anyone familiar with the "Wunderlich Ergo Seat"? All comments/recommendations appreciated.

Thanks everyone and Happy Easter to you and yours.

Regards,

Mike McKennedy

I had Rocky Mayer make me a seat for my GS, and am happy. So far, I haven't done anything with my RT, but only due to finances right now. Eventually, I'll get a Mayer seat for that one too.

I have Pilot Roads on my RT.. it came with them. The tire seems to work really well. I'm happy with it's performance, but I'm only going to get 7k out of the rear. I run 36/42 psi, front/back per the manual. I think I'll go ahead and get a second rear Pilot and when that one's done I'll try Metzeler Z6's on both.

I had good luck with a Rick Meyer saddle on my 1150RT. I am still trying to decide if I need to upgrade the stock seat on my 12RT.

My bike came with the Continental Road Attack tires. I am very pleased with the performance so far - good grip wet and dry, good ride and roll into the corners nicely. When these ones wear out I am going to get another set.

Archived