Cars..

roadscholar

John Ranalletta
38 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Wondering if Ford will ever revive the Pinto name with a new model?  :dontknow:

Hope not. 

John Ranalletta
On 7/16/2021 at 8:31 PM, roadscholar said:

As promised pics of the 318 cleaned up, needs a couple do-dads but nothing significant, all in all pretty decent and a good runner.

CCE8A955-4799-46AB-B71F-0ECDA3211D9E.thumb.jpeg.4b97f161be95a8e1460ca103317314e7.jpeg

C2F5549D-44FE-406F-A4C5-2C20E82FB780.thumb.jpeg.9fe7212ced848adb340ad9bf7cc9f2f6.jpeg

made it from the westside to the beach which is important.

E2B4CE6D-F23B-46D0-909F-41C152BBE29B.thumb.jpeg.9a2a4f8203d2654d9a9b423fa61fc780.jpeg

roadscholar
8 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Impressive but we didn't take it to quite that extreme (not even close : ) Some cars are worth doing that to, this '96 isn't one of them. Thanks for posting, I hadn't seen some of those techniques which are pretty amazing, I'd much rather have a sound original car brought to that level than a 'restored' one by a bodyshop/upholstery shop.  When I started messing with older German cars in the early 70's, beside their mechanical beauty I learned to appreciate the quality of the components and trim/brightwork, with a little elbow grease you could clean up almost everything because it was built to last. One example were the bezels on VDO instruments in 356's and 60's Mercs, they were chrome plated brass and over time got a seemingly indelible encrusted-smegma on them but with some patience and Simichrome Polish could be brought back to their original jewel-like appearance when new.

An E30 318ic is great little car, wish I'd never sold the white/beige '91 5sp I had. That one above is spectacular, I'd take it over any of the newer stuff they're churning out today.   

The internet really sucks! The amount of time I’ve spent searching pictures of Cobalt Blue Boxsters is just obscene! :rofl: 

JV8lr3tjFqRZF96zYgGIsan26NHU4N25EhTTPdqm

• Smile 1
14 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Maybe there still is an affordable Porsche, for the time being anyhow.

True confessions...Many moons ago, I owned an early version of the 924 with the Audi engine....a goat in sheep's clothing.  One time, after having the oil changed  I pulled out into traffic pretty hard on the throttle and blew off the oil filter.  Engine bay caught afire, and unluckily, I had a small fire bottle on hand and put out the fire.  Finally found someone who wanted it, so breathed a sigh of relief when it disappeared from my sight.

11 hours ago, TEWKS said:

The internet really sucks! The amount of time I’ve spent searching pictures of Cobalt Blue Boxsters is just obscene! :rofl: 

JV8lr3tjFqRZF96zYgGIsan26NHU4N25EhTTPdqm

But I'm guessing you're loving the chase Pat.....

• Like 1

Well I’m glad I couldn’t afford a 924 when they first came out after reading that! :grin: Yup, sometimes the chase is actually more exciting than the catch. ;) 

I believe it was Tim the Tallman who said, everybody needs a K bike at least one time in their life. I’m feeling that a Porsche might fall into that same category. :)

A couple questions I need answers to and an offer may go out this week. :yes:

roadscholar

"As usual, Porsche’s most successful models continue to be its SUVs, with the Cayenne and Macan combining for a massive 87,668 sales or 57 percent of global deliveries! With 19,822 new all-electric Taycan deliveries in the first half of the year, Porsche has nearly matched all of the Taycans delivered across all of 2020 in just six months. While the Taycan is more popular in the North American market than the 911, Porsche’s iconic rear-engined sports car has barely managed to edge it out in global deliveries with 20,611 new 911s delivered from January one through the end of June. Panamera sales were up six percent to 13,633 vehicles, and the 718 Boxster and Cayman twins combined for just 11,922 units globally."

https://flatsixes.com/porsche-news/porsche-delivers-a-record-153656-new-vehicles-in-the-first-half-of-2021/

She agrees! I told her be very smart in school or marry rich. Thought about that for a second and said, be smart! :classic_biggrin:

167C69B0-7B21-4AA5-B10C-E5D802B0E87A.jpeg

119E8B6F-9F68-493C-BF2D-23081AB44A51.jpeg

• Like 1

During that same picture search I mentioned in the other thread I found this one of my brother in his Supermodified. It was brought up a while back but no pictures. :dontknow:

B96F07D9-9380-4974-92C6-979953D9992D.jpeg

• Like 2

Ran in to the owner at Walgreens!  Started life as a run of the mill Malibu with a 283. Guy built it in his garage, has a crate big block 427 with a sweet lope at idle.  Cop followed him in just to have a look.  Definitely a driver, just how I like em!  

20210725_104745_01.jpg.eb6934da939b8c55e497dd7ff5eba2f4.jpg

• Like 2

This 2008 Cayman just popped up for sale. It’s not an S, it’s got 24K miles and they’re asking $27,500. :dontknow: The IMS bearing could still be an issue in this vintage car I assume?  It’s about 10K more than the 2005 Boxster (based on a very loose deal at this point) I mentioned earlier. Just babbling out loud is all. :grin:
00o0o_5cbMWPqQzFBz_0CI0py_1200x900.jpg

roadscholar

Good looking car Pat plus it has 18” wheels which probably means it's got the sport suspension pkg. There's a guy on the Porsche thread on Adv that's researched the IMS issue extensively and he says by '08 it’s nearly non existent and by '09 had been completely eliminated. Of course he has an '09 Cayman S w/PDK : )  My '08 has around 65k and I'm not really worried about it. Might not hurt to go look at it and maybe take a test drive if it's a possibility, at the least you'll know more than you did beforehand, btw that's pretty low miles for those. 

3D3E5A36-F969-4A65-8F35-4ED3CEF2DACD.thumb.jpeg.41ffac311ac2dde8ab3bbe6094ec05e4.jpeg

• Like 1

Love the 67 Chevelle (more so than the 66,68,69) and I’m not a purist but throwing a SS hood on one without changing the badging is borderline.  The P cars are one of the few performance cars that can pull off being convertibles but that’s just me.  Good luck on securing the Cayman tewks, very cool cars to drive. 

• Like 1
On 7/27/2021 at 6:35 AM, mickeym3 said:

Good luck on securing the Cayman tewks, very cool cars to drive. 

It sold last night but not to me. I thought it was on the higher end of its value scale but apparently not. :dontknow: Back to Blue Boxster fishing I guess.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:14 PM, TEWKS said:

This 2008 Cayman just popped up for sale. It’s not an S, it’s got 24K miles and they’re asking $27,500. :dontknow: The IMS bearing could still be an issue in this vintage car I assume?  It’s about 10K more than the 2005 Boxster (based on a very loose deal at this point) I mentioned earlier. Just babbling out loud is all. :grin:
00o0o_5cbMWPqQzFBz_0CI0py_1200x900.jpg

Spent 6 months researching, then 6 months searching before buying my wife's Boxster.

BTW Caymans tend to be more expensive than Boxsters.

Good used Porsches sell fast. Be ready to buy when you see what you want.

Good place to gauge prices is the PCA (Porsche Club of America) Mart - https://mart.pca.org You cannot contact sellers unless you are a member. Non Porsche owners can buy a temporary membership.

My wife has always wanted a Porsche, convertible with manual transmission. So 911 or Boxster.

Ruled out an air-cooled car. She wanted a car to put miles on. Older 911s are going up in price and more collector than driver.

Air cooled engines had an IMS, but both ends had pressure fed bearings.

Water cooled (M96 and M97) had one end pressure fed, the other (flywheel) a sealed ball bearing.

M96 engine

1997 to 1999 (some 2000 and 2001) had the double row IMS bearing. These have a very low failure rate.

2000 to 2005 had a single row bearing. These have about an 8% (according to court documents) failure rate. These bearings can be replaced without splitting the cases.

M97 engine

2006 - 2008 had a larger single row bearing. These have a very low failure rate. The bearing is not changeable without splitting the cases. Some suggest to remove the seal from the ball bearing if you happen to have the transmission off. Seal removed allows engine oil to lubricate the bearing.

Beginning in 2009 the IMS was eliminated.

You will read about other problems such as bore scoring and cylinder cracks. These are quite rare.

Often suggested for long engine life - change oil often - 5000 mi or at least yearly and don't baby them - keep revs over 2500 - 3000 rpm.

911 - prefer 2009 or later, but would buy M96 or M97 for the right car. M96 would get the IMS Solution (https://lnengineering.com/products/the-definitive-guide-and-faq-for-porsche-ims-bearings/ims-solution.html). Budget $4000 to 5000 if it is not installed.

Boxster - prefer 2009 or later but would consider M97. No M96 cars - didn't feel fixing the IMS was worth it for a Boxster.

Ended up getting a 2017 Boxster 718, my wife could not be any happier.

Good luck in your Porsche hunt.

IMG_0210.thumb.JPG.0bf2f9bc5a1eb8b1bbd497a62f86b515.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, BrianM said:

2000 to 2005 had a single row bearing. These have about an 8% (according to court documents) failure rate. These bearings can be replaced without splitting the cases

I think I mentioned earlier that this particular 2005 Boxster that I’m thinking about had the IMS bearing “inspected” at a cost of $1,700 dollars. My neighbor seemed a little unsure if just an inspection took place (doesn’t make sense to me) or a replacement as you said. :dontknow: I’d feel better if it was replaced but I’m not going to let it foil the deal if my offer is accepted on this car.

Your wife’s car looks awesome Brian, and thanks for all that info! :thumbsup:

56 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I think I mentioned earlier that this particular 2005 Boxster that I’m thinking about had the IMS bearing “inspected” at a cost of $1,700 dollars. My neighbor seemed a little unsure if just an inspection took place (doesn’t make sense to me) or a replacement as you said. :dontknow: I’d feel better if it was replaced but I’m not going to let it foil the deal if my offer is accepted on this car.

Your wife’s car looks awesome Brian, and thanks for all that info! :thumbsup:

Note - not trying to scare you or talk you out of purchasing this car. Just the facts that I have gathered.

You may want to call the place that did the inspection to find out. Was that a complete PPI? What did they inspect?

Just to get to the bearing requires trans removal, not cheap in a Boxster or 911.

An inspection like this could cost $1700. https://imsretrofit.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/IMSR-Prequalification.pdf

Pelican Parts offers a replacement bearing for about $200. Just a high quality version of the Porsche bearing. Pelican suggests replacement every 40,000 mi.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/986M/POR_986M_UPG996_pg2.htm

LN Engineering offers 2 ways to handle the issue.

1. A double row hybrid ceramic bearing (hybrid - only the balls are ceramic) with mount kit for $900 (on sale now for $800). This is not a permanent solution. Replace every 6 years or 75,000 miles. Certainly would cost more than $1700. Definitely an improvement over Porsche or Pelican bearing.

https://lnengineering.com/products/the-definitive-guide-and-faq-for-porsche-ims-bearings/ims-retrofit.html

2. What they call the IMS Solution. They consider this a permanent fix. Essentially the bearing is replaced with a pressure fed plain bearing. kit cost about $1900. I was quoted $4500 installed.

https://lnengineering.com/products/the-definitive-guide-and-faq-for-porsche-ims-bearings/ims-solution.html

Some light reading - https://imsretrofit.com/ims-101/

You could just leave it alone. Better than 90% that it will not fail. Drive more, worry less.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, cat0020 said:

Any Clown shoe owner here? 

Yep ... '99 2.8. black on black (sorry no current pic)

There’s a Porsche “take up collection” yard sale going on in Tewksbury today. :grin: I might regret selling little blue! :dontknow:
image.thumb.jpeg.6197e3026122a8c5b01fb91db9bd2f72.jpeg

You may have to wheel out more toys on the yard to meet the buy in…no offense to lil’ blue of course. I’m currently negotiating selling toys for another race car but after 45 years of marriage I think she’s got all my ploys figured out so may resort to begging.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
roadscholar

Aw man say it ain't true, anything but the WR : ) 

Anyway glad to see you weren't deterred by all the IMS analytical data, I didn't want to scare you with too much information but enough for you to research it on your own. Everyone has a different tolerance for risk and I think ours are pretty similar

The real proof is in the market and it says older Boxsters have been going up in value lately with no sign of changing, in the past year alone by an average of 20-40%. In a worse case scenario that can help mitigate any monetary losses. 

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/Porsche-Boxster-d408

And here are some currently for sale to get an idea what they look like.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Porsche-Boxster-d408

You know 2017-2020 Boxsters came with a smaller 4 cylinder turbo motor which gave similar or better performance but according to enthusiasts lacks character and the melodious sounds of the six dimishing some of the driving experience which to me is a main reason for owning one. Sales dropped by 40% and evidently Porsche took notice because they've gone back to the N/A 6 cylinder. Don't know if it's affected their resale yet but over the long haul it well may.

https://www.6speedonline.com/articles/did-porsche-make-a-mistake-with-the-4-cylinder-718/

• Like 1

I know, very sad about the WR but YouTube  is forever (or till they start charging you anyway) :classic_biggrin:

Well we’ll see what happens with my neighbor’s nephews Boxster. I made an offer but I think he’s going to do some fishing down in Jersey for the month of August. If it’s as popular as that local Cayman was I don’t have a chance.

Either way, thinning the flock puts me in a better place when the right one comes along. And no begging involved! :rofl:

• Like 1

You know?  I was going to post the exact same thing Dave, just being funny.   

But when one thinks about it, Pat is a very popular board member and may get quite a lot of other board members to go along with his quest and donate to the cause.  I am in.

• Thinking 1

Dear BMWST community. I’ve had a long and illustrious career riding some pretty nice motorcycles in some very interesting places. I’ve used up a lot of my earnings in doing so but now feel it’s time to put my focus on some cool wheels. :cool: As you can tell from my previous statements, I absolutely don’t deserve this but can you GoFundMe a new Porsche anyway? :rofl:

• Haha 2
roadscholar

Heck I’m in, if anyone deserves it it’s Tewks : )

All this Porsche talk made me have to get out for a cruise plus it’s been awhile, the car appreciated the exercise.

A6C5C8BA-CC63-4B42-83AD-ADD0B3540B76.thumb.jpeg.e5697990c9d846eed64408877a02c4e1.jpeg

• Like 3

That’s a sharp car Bill, is it a 987 Gen 2 car? Does the body styling differ on the gen 2 from the 05 Boxster?

Cart before the horse but would you add these door graphics? 
987_boxster_spyder_grey_02.jpg

roadscholar

Thanks, ‘08 was the last of Gen 1, this one came with body colored side vents and the previous owner put on clear marker lights and an exhaust system but that’s about it. 09’s and later had some nice updates most notable being no more IMS issues and the amazing PDK replaced the Tiptronic. Not sure about all the external differences but the front grills and headlights were updated. Just personal but doubt I’d put decals on unless they were already there and factory then I’d probably leave them.

Heres the odometer when we stopped for the photo earlier, just found it interesting.

F3453E8E-8140-48CC-89E6-4AC4B12E3A2D.thumb.jpeg.78328c57e31ce9e4fac483e1c04de0af.jpeg

E7824F14-C743-4F2B-B68D-9E0E6EA95572.thumb.jpeg.9e737f71f255a979e8dafa8ffda26b68.jpeg

Ok I did a little googling and came up with this, covers about all the differences.

https://boxstertips.com/whats-the-difference-between-a-987-1-and-987-2/

• Like 1
17 hours ago, roadscholar said:

You know 2017-2020 Boxsters came with a smaller 4 cylinder turbo motor which gave similar or better performance but according to enthusiasts lacks character and the melodious sounds of the six dimishing some of the driving experience which to me is a main reason for owning one. Sales dropped by 40% and evidently Porsche took notice because they've gone back to the N/A 6 cylinder. Don't know if it's affected their resale yet but over the long haul it well may.

https://www.6speedonline.com/articles/did-porsche-make-a-mistake-with-the-4-cylinder-718/

Talked about this before buying ours. Really my wife’s decision. The 718 (base) handles better and has more power (35 hp) than the previous model. She liked the performance better. Resale was never a consideration, she buys cars to use.

Personally, never thought the flat 6 sounded that great. Multi cylinder 2 strokes sound much better.

roadscholar

Porsche has increased the performance of every model/generation/iteration by incremental and measured amounts for the last 70 years. If they didn't there'd be little incentive to buy new from a company selling high performance. BMW motorcycles adopted a similar strategy about 25 years ago, it works when you have a comparitively small but devoted market.

In the big picture the 4 banger was evidently a bad idea because sales took a pretty big hit so they appear to be moving on. It's not their first mistake, in the early 80's management almost killed off the 911 attempting to substitute front-engined transaxle cars (50/50 wt distribution) had not the new CEO Peter Schutz intervened. Instead we went from this..

25_268_07.jpg

to this spanning almost 60 years, something they can't build enough of..

1433cb60e74138f84e891191b22ba583.jpg

https://www.thedrive.com/porsche/15623/peter-schutz-the-man-who-saved-the-porsche-911-has-passed-away-at-87

Land vehicle, Vehicle, Car, Automotive design, Porsche 911 classic, Porsche 930, Porsche 912, Porsche, Performance car, Porsche 959,

• Like 1
RandyShields
2 hours ago, roadscholar said:

. . . we went from this  . . . to this spanning almost 60 years, something they can't build enough of.

A very simple but dramatic comparison. Thanks.

2 hours ago, roadscholar said:

In the big picture the 4 banger was evidently a bad idea because sales took a pretty big hit so they've shelved it and moved on. 

?

They are still making 4 cylinder Boxsters. For 2022, the base and T are the 2L 4 cylinder engine, the S is still a 2.5L 4 cylinder. The GTS, GT4 (Cayman) and Spyder has the 6 (4L).

The 4 cylinder opend up new markets in China. Gains in this market has more than offset loses in more traditional markets. 

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/why-youre-wrong-about-porsche-boxster-four-cylinder-engine

roadscholar
19 minutes ago, BrianM said:

?

They are still making 4 cylinder Boxsters. For 2022, the base and T are the 2L 4 cylinder engine, the S is still a 2.5L 4 cylinder. The GTS, GT4 (Cayman) and Spyder has the 6 (4L).

The 4 cylinder opend up new markets in China. Gains in this market has more than offset loses in more traditional markets. 

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/why-youre-wrong-about-porsche-boxster-four-cylinder-engine

Yep I just saw that a little while ago, I no longer keep up with the new offerings. Saw the China numbers up too (at the expense of their established markets), looks like the 2L sneaks in under a tax/displacement loophole, they're being scooped up by 30 YO Chinese women : )

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Yep I just saw that a little while ago, I no longer keep up with the new offerings. Saw the China numbers up too (at the expense of their established markets), looks like the 2L sneaks in under a tax/displacement loophole, they're being scooped up by 30 YO Chinese women : )

My wife is a woman, but not Chinese or 30 YO.

US numbers are up in 2021, seems to be due to GTS and GT4. Probably bigger profit margin on those cars. So maybe having cake and eating it too.

roadscholar

Won't argue with that..

One advantage prevalent in turbo motors is it's much easier to boost the performance, a good chip would probably net another 75-80hp w/o sacrificing any reliability. Back in the analog days we used to put a rally spring in the wastegate of 930's, an easy 65hp (25%) for about $35. it was a no brainer. The racing version (935) had a big aluminum knob between the seats to dial in any amount of boost you wanted from 450hp up to around 800.

roadscholar

Who knows, I guess in the current market anything is possible. There’s always been a segment of buyers that will pay all the money for very low mileage and that one is. If the neighbor’s nephew sees that it might influence his decision some, you may have to reassess your formula a little if you still want it. 

roadscholar

You probably saw this one, the other end of the spectrum, actually not bad considering the IMS was replaced. The mileage wouldn't scare me if it's decent and everything works. Three years ago that was a 9 or 10k car here but not anymore, probably 15-18k now. Appears he's anxious, he posted the ad twice in 2 days so you might be able get it for less, could be a deal.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/d/new-york-2005-porsche-boxster/7359555252.html