IGNORED

peg lowering kit

Voyager

Looking for a rider peg lowering kit (not passenger) that doesn't cost $300.

55_lg.gif

This was the cheapest I came up with at $149

anyone have another?

Next question: Before I learned how to ride on the balls of my feet, I would often drag my toes in corners. I'm little worried a lowered peg will have the same problem. Anyone scrape lowered pegs in a turn?

Thanks.

2wheelterry

Sid:

Two weeks ago I installed a Suburban Machinery lowering kit, (here), its the same price as what you found. After riding about 500 miles, I decided that a lowered shifter lever and extended brake lever were needed. Keep this in the back of your mind as a possible addition. At 6'4" these modifications have made this the most comfortable bike I've ever riden. thumbsup.gif

And yes, it is more apt to scrape the pegs. For me its an acceptable trade-off.

Sid:

Two weeks ago I installed a Suburban Machinery lowering kit, (here), its the same price as what you found. After riding about 500 miles, I decided that a lowered shifter lever and extended brake lever were needed. Keep this in the back of your mind as a possible addition. At 6'4" these modifications have made this the most comfortable bike I've ever riden.

And yes, it is more apt to scrape the pegs. For me its an acceptable trade-off.

Thanks for the feedback for posting the link. Yes it was CC's BMW in San Jose. Terry, did you buy the longer levers? Could you not get the shift lever to adjust enough? I have a 36" inseam, but I'm only "uncomfortable" with my current setup when riding with the balls of my feet on the pegs for a long period of time (in-town traffic or curvy roads).

The scraping concerns me. One of the reasons I ride an RT instead of a Goldwing or cruiser is because I hate scraping footpegs/boards. I recently took my rear Ohlins shock to its maximum height to give a little more ground clearence, though I am not bottoming out the shock. I'm not a road racer by any stretch, but traveling cross country one up and fully loaded last summer I dragged the bottom plastic cowell a couple of times. I have the hawksproducts highway pegs which I also occasionally fold up in a corner, but I adjusted them for that so it is not noticeable.

All this to say that the "ideal ride" experience for me is definitely heeled over into a smooth banking corner, or better yet a long series of them thumbsup.gif While upright comfort is important to me, I'd rather the limits of my cornering be dictated by my nerve/ability than by my motorcycle.

Thanks again for the feedback!

2wheelterry

Sid:

I found that I had difficulty making the downshift. At times I was lifting my foot off the peg to make the downshift. The upshift was not really a problem. There wasn't much if any room within the slot of the plate that holds the footpegs to adjust the shift lever. I bought the lowered lever from SM. It placed the shift lever back to the stock height relative to the footpegs.

The brake lever can be adjusted (on my model) and this brought the height close enough. But the lowering kit also moves the pegs out a bit. No big deal. But I decided to spend $30 to make the lever a bit longer (here). It wasn't really necessary, IMO. I have not yet riden with this latest addition.

Sid:

But I decided to spend $30 to make the lever a bit longer (here). It wasn't really necessary, IMO. I have not yet riden with this latest addition.

I looked but can't find this part on the Santa Cruz site. What's it called? Maybe I can do a search. I also have a hard time getting the gearshift comfortable with the peg lowering kit.

Cheaper than $300, but it looks like prices went up since your purchase. The page I was looking at had $129 for the peg kit $ an extra $109 for the extended shifter. That's still not bad though. Thanks! thumbsup.gif

Can't speak for Terry but I found a brake "extender" under "R", then R100RT, about ten items down. I think that's what Terry is talking about. 8160169.jpg

Can't speak for Terry but I found a brake "extender" under "R", then R100RT, about ten items down.
Thanks. That was my mistake. I thought he was referring to an extension for the shift lever.

Next question: Before I learned how to ride on the balls of my feet, I would often drag my toes in corners. I'm little worried a lowered peg will have the same problem. Anyone scrape lowered pegs in a turn?

Thanks.

64810998-S.jpg I have some floorboards on my RT and occasionally I drag a toe. If you catch them soon enough a good shoe repair guy can fix them. clap.gifclap.gif

Archived