IGNORED

Should I be worried?

Dann

I just noticed today that the plastic around my clutch cable started to crack near the reservoir.

The cable itself seems fine, I covered it with tape to keep it from getting worse.

Should I change it ASAP?

Wait until I do my next maintenance or simply forget about it since I put tape over the plastic?

Clutch cable.jpg

dirtrider
8 hours ago, Dann said:

I just noticed today that the plastic around my clutch cable started to crack near the reservoir.

The cable itself seems fine, I covered it with tape to keep it from getting worse.

Should I change it ASAP?

Wait until I do my next maintenance or simply forget about it since I put tape over the plastic?

Morning Dann

That outer plastic cover over the braiding is just  a beauty/protective cover that makes the hydraulic line underneath more friendly  to be around.    The outer cover doesn't really effect function but does keep dirt from getting caught in the braiding plus it makes the stainless braiding less likely to catch on a glove, wash rag, or your skin.

That degraded outer cover by itself doesn't mean that much as it is the inner liner that matters as far a line integrity  goes.

Tape might eventually make a mess due to the sticky backing on the tape weeping. Might be better off using a some small-diameter  split convoluted wire loom covering or  something similar.

convoluted tubing.JPG

szurszewski

I'll have to get a picture of it later, but a section of braided line was covered in my garage (not by me) just the other day with a piece of the Beemer Boneyard in-tank fuel hose. It *looks* pretty much like the split loom DR posted, but it's a bit narrower in diameter and of course much heavier duty. In this case it was because, on a friend's bike, the steel line was abrading the swingarm (no cover like yours). Somehow my friend ended up with four "extra" section of the fuel line, and it was at hand....

Good evening DR

Great suggestion, I ordered some.

The smaller size was 1/4 '' It looks like the right size.

I installed some wire loom over it.

I'm pleased with the result.

I ended up doing both sides to keep the look

P_20190508_175504_HDR.jpg

P_20190508_175429.jpg

• Like 1
dirtrider
12 hours ago, Dann said:

I installed some wire loom over it.

I'm pleased with the result.

I ended up doing both sides to keep the look

Afternoon Dan

That sure looks better then the old tattered covering.