IGNORED

R1100RT fuel pump and strainer

14TLC

Does anyone have fuel pump from a R1100? I need info about the diameter of the inlet port of the pump, where the strainer attaches. I am working on a 96 R1100RT which was not ridden for 10 years. The complete fuel pump assembly is in very bad condition. The thing is that the previous owner replaced the fuel pump some 13 years ago with a car fuel pump for various AUDI models. The fuel pump is MESSMER 770090 ETF09. The bike was working with this pump for few years until it was left in a garage for 10 years. The pump is in working order but I need to replace the strainer. So, I was wondering if the genuine BMW strainer can fit on this pump, but I need to compare the diameter of the inlet ports of both pumps. The existing strainer looks like genuine BMW but it is in such a bad shape that I can't tell for sure.

1.jpg

2.jpg

dirtrider
6 minutes ago, 14TLC said:

Does anyone have fuel pump from a R1100? I need info about the diameter of the inlet port of the pump, where the strainer attaches. I am working on a 96 R1100RT which was not ridden for 10 years. The complete fuel pump assembly is in very bad condition. The thing is that the previous owner replaced the fuel pump some 13 years ago with a car fuel pump for various AUDI models. The fuel pump is MESSMER 770090 ETF09. The bike was working with this pump for few years until it was left in a garage for 10 years. The pump is in working order but I need to replace the strainer. So, I was wondering if the genuine BMW strainer can fit on this pump, but I need to compare the diameter of the inlet ports of both pumps. The existing strainer looks like genuine BMW but it is in such a bad shape that I can't tell for sure.

Evening 14TLC

Wow, that whole pump plate is in seriously degraded condition.

If you are just trying to get it running (you will probably eventually need a whole new pump & pass through assembly) you might take that pump to a local auto parts store & see if they can match up something a lot cheaper than the a BMW strainer.   

Seriously, I would replace the whole thing.    These people have all the parts.   

www.euromotoelectrics.com

Keith

Ditto.  Looks like the whole assembly sat for a long period in the air or in a decent amount of watery fuel.

Another source to consider would be beemer boneyard (I would recommend replacing the filter with a new one if you end up with a used assembly).

I have never seen such a dirty one like that. What are you running to get it to look that bad. Most of the ones I have seen look almost new!

dirtrider
4 hours ago, AndyS said:

I have never seen such a dirty one like that. What are you running to get it to look that bad. Most of the ones I have seen look almost new!

Morning Andy

That is a combination of 10% alcohol gasoline & 10 years of non-use  storage.  Possibly also combined with a removed emission evap canister &  no 45° cut on the bottom of the fuel tank vent hose.  

14TLC,

I just did the repair you are looking at.

From the looks of your photo, it appears trhe filter may have never been changed.

My R1100rt sat for three years, my pump and assembly was not quite as bad but it was not shiny clean either.

I bought a new pump, filter, submersible hose and vibration isolator and associated o-ring gaskets from EME. My advise is to remove everything from the tank, EVERYTHING. Clean it all and then reassemble with proper parts for that bike.

Got mine back together and it runs like new.

Fussing around inside the gas tank is not fun, do it right the first time, not a job you want to do over because you saved a few dollars and "Brand X" parts.

I believe I have the part numbers still in the file for this bike if you are interested send a message and I will dig them out.

+1 on EME!!  They know their stuff and are very reasonable and fast.  I did the same thing on my '99 R11RT two years ago.  Be SURE all the clamps on the fuel tubing inside the tank are the SS Oetiker clamps.  Screw clamps will not hold.  AMHIK.  Whatever you do, "Do it right the first time."  It's a PITA to re-do it, especially on the side of the road with few tools and no parts.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Glarks-7-21mm-Stainless-Stepless-Pincers/dp/B073B32XLP/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=oetiker+clamps&qid=1556918432&s=gateway&sr=8-8

• 8 months later...