IGNORED

ilium rear crash bars

etitanic

I know there are a lot of posts on various engine and rear guard bars. All I would like to know has anyone installed the ilium 30-800BL, REAR GUARD BARS, 2014-2018 R1200RTW or R1250RT BLACK . I have just purchased a R1250RT and am considering these. They are probably the best looking and have the advantage of being removed easily. Thanks for any real world information anyone can provide before I shell out $494.26 US or $ 665.55 (includes shipping). After doing the conversion I may have second thoughts.:5146:

Yes, I've had them since a couple of weeks after I bought my bike.  They are low profile and in black they tend to blend right in.

CroppedWithLights.png

I have them in silver as well.  I bought them as soon as Illium released them as I already had the fronts.  My big concern after protecting the jugs, is that a low speed tip will bang up the bags.  The bars seem quite sturdy and should handle a slower speed tip well.  They don't get in the way at all.  I'd recommend them.

I bought the rear guards in black, while I waited until the fronts became available.  You will not be disappointed.  They are not in the way for rear passenger either.

I got the rears in February and just installed the fronts this week.

I got pic posted in my gallery and they are still on main page  

Cheers!

I had the Illiums front and rear crash guards installed on my 2018.  Haven't had an opportunity to use them yet.:4315:  They are a great platform to mount Clearwater lights.

1 minute ago, Red said:

.........................Haven't had an opportunity to use them yet.:4315: 

I actually thought about "what if?" and realized I had better not do it   After all,  John with Ilium Works dropped his RT, which was good enough for me to get them.

I just installed the front and rear bars on my 2014 RT. I have Clearwater lights and also needed the Ilium light brackets to remount them. The videos produced by Ilium are very helpful. Also the service from Ilium is outstanding.  One of the light brackets was not drilled to the proper depth. I called and talked to customer service about cutting the screw 1/8 inch shorter. I was told not to cut the screw. They  would have a new piece on the way shipped the same day.

Tom5BD965AF-FA1C-481E-A8A0-97C8C7068E50.thumb.jpeg.2e5cf360eb940166ff3dc7eefb2b2f88.jpeg

I have the black Ilium bars on a white '18 RT both front and rear. If you ride without the bags occasionally, the rear bars are easily removed. There are no clearance issues when the valve covers are removed. Installation is a snap. Be aware that the rear bars will touch down with aggressive cornering. Mine are showing grind marks on both sides. 

Thanks to all very helpful and I placed my order today, now only need Mother Nature to get on with sping, snow tomorrow :5146:

I bought mine only after dropping my new bike on a slow motion U-turn and spending $1,000 on new side case parts. They come off easily. Perfect fit and finish. Good choice.

• Like 1
alegerlotz
12 hours ago, BigTup said:

I bought mine only after dropping my new bike on a slow motion U-turn and spending $1,000 on new side case parts. They come off easily. Perfect fit and finish. Good choice.

Ouch :( 

Mine were delivered and in the garage for a few days before I was able to install them.  I lived in fear that the same would happen to me with the new parts sitting in boxes in the garage because I felt like I was tempting fate by owning them and not having them installed.

• 3 months later...

I just installed front and rear Ilium crash bars on my 17 RT along with the highway pegs. Took a total of about 90 minutes. 

Look great, well made and easy install. Would recommend. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

UPS delivered my rears  (black) yesterday afternoon. My fronts are silver but I wanted the backs to be less conspicuous. 160 degrees😜 in the garage so I’ll install late at night or early morning. Got to get them on before the Springfield Mile trip end of the month. 

1 hour ago, Rinkydink said:

UPS delivered my rears  (black) yesterday afternoon. My fronts are silver but I wanted the backs to be less conspicuous. 160 degrees😜 in the garage so I’ll install late at night or early morning. Got to get them on before the Springfield Mile trip end of the month. 

the rears will take you all of 30 min to install. Very nicely designed.  I purchased front and back in silver but now that I see the black on the rear, I wish I would have done the same. 

34 minutes ago, Bradysdad said:

the rears will take you all of 30 min to install. Very nicely designed.  I purchased front and back in silver but now that I see the black on the rear, I wish I would have done the same. 

I had the Wunderlich rears, bought used on  my ‘09 RT. They were silver but considerably larger and looked weird without the bags. These are smaller and removable so no worries. 

EC41DB97-A81A-4911-A8E7-A138A7C62E34.jpeg