IGNORED

Curious Question (Please don't kill me)

MBrockman5

Just out of pure, plain curiosity ... Are there any MECHANICAL issues with running these bikes without the muffler (like burnt valves/engine damage)? The only reason I ask is because I just want to see how it sounds and feels riding my bike without the muffler/straight piped. 

And yes...I know;

-If I want a loud bike, get a Harley. 

-Stock/Factory is [highly] recommended.

-Aftermarket Exhaust isn't worth it.

-If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The bike is already perfect and there's no need to make it something it's not. 

.... I'm just curious....

Pulling the muffler off the oilhead GS was popular. Never heard anything negative and a couple of my riding friends that did it still ride the bikes.

For some reason even without the muffler they aren't loud or obnoxious sounding.

7 hours ago, MBrockman5 said:

Just out of pure, plain curiosity ... Are there any MECHANICAL issues with running these bikes without the muffler (like burnt valves/engine damage)? The only reason I ask is because I just want to see how it sounds and feels riding my bike without the muffler/straight piped. 

Morning MBrockman5

I assume this is on your 2007 1200RT?

It won't hurt anything, engine wise, as the catalytic converter will still remain & that does a pretty good job of breaking up the negative pressure  wave as well as moderating the noise. The o2 sensors are still in the front (remaining) exhaust piping so those will still work OK.   

On the  1200RT, without the muffler, the cat outlet pipe ends under the L/H side of the  bike a little farther in so if ridden  at high speeds/high load for a distance then the exhaust heat might damage the rear wheel front inner fender plastic so putting a short extension pipe on to get the exhaust clear of that area might be  good idea.

9 hours ago, MBrockman5 said:

I had the muffler off my 06 RT at one point, doing some sort of maintenance, and was struck by the thought: "Oooooh, I bet this sucker would sound pretty badass without the muffler on it..."  I ran upstairs to 'warn' the wife what I was up to & that it was going to be HELLISHLY LOUD in the garage for a bit!!!  I got that oh so familiar look of 'Why did I marry this guy again???', but took off back to the garage undeterred.

:5150:

Well... it turned out to be one of the most anticlimactic moments I can recall... It wasn't louder, angrier, cooler,... nothing.  If I hadn't known the muffler was off, I might not have even guessed from the sound.  I cracked the throttle a few times in hopes of something, anything, but there was virtually no difference, so I shut it down...

After a couple minutes gathering myself from the massive disappointment, I went back upstairs.  The wife immediately asks:  "So when exactly are you going to be making all this noise???"

Crushed, and inwardly sobbing, I said it was done...

TL;DR - don't get your hopes up...

• Haha 1