IGNORED

Indicated Gas Mileage

Whip

I reset the BC....filled up with gas....reset trip....road around for a couple days ....246 miles 5.59 gallons.......BC says 25.8 mpg....What up with that?????

246/5.59=44.01

I don't think it's a big deal.....I guess it can be recalibrated?????

Whip

It can. I saw it on this site before...try a search. I've not had a problem with my 05 RT accuracy of the MPG. So far - its close enough to count on. Thing to keep in mind is that the "miles to empty" calculation does not appear to include reserve. IMO a good conservative setup.

I've got 1000 miles on mine and I'm getting 43-44 mpg. Should go up as she wears in.

Got 3,000kms on mine since last month and the mpg, (liters/100kms) hasn't changed once, still shows 5.81 liters/100kms.

Its like its stuck or else just a permanent readout, never changes. Looks good but means nothing...

Jim

Thing to keep in mind is that the "miles to empty" calculation does not appear to include reserve.

On my '05GS1200 it sure does and it's almost "dead nuts" on! Give 'er take 5 miles.

BC says 25.8 mpg....What up with that?????

Whip

Ummmmm, need to sloooow down a bit??? dopeslap.gif

FWIW, the BC mileage on my 12RT seems to be accurate. Haven't checked accuracy of miles-to-empty.

Cheers,

Greg

My RT has about 1500 miles on the clock and my experience parallels yours almost exactly. Overall mileage is 44 to the gallon (converted to US units) and brimming the tank confirms that the computer calculation is slightly optimistic but within 5% of reality. With miles-to-go showing about 10, the tank takes 22 litres, which is 5 litres short of the "useable capacity" quoted in the handbook. I take this to mean that there will be about a gallon in reserve when miles-to-go indicates nil.

Effectively, I am having to fill up at around 250 miles, which is a bit disappointing having heard tales of a 300 mile range. However, it's not clear yet whether my bike has had all its software updates and I understand that this could improve fuel economy, also I am ready to believe that it will improve as the miles go by.

Jakfrost - you don't say how often you reset the computer to calculate a new average. Of course, if you never reset, the average displayed will change less and less often as new data has less effect on the cumulative totals.

I think you'll find the updates make the economy worse (but the fuelling better). Certainly my mpg has dropped quite a bit since the last update (still over 50 mpg - imperial - though).

Its possible that my style of riding differs in the Winter and the more volatile fuel supplied in Winter play a part in this. Will have a better idea over the next couple of months.

Paul

My mileage seems to be about the same. My BC says that I am averaging 35.1 to the gallon, but that is with a lot of 120-130mph riding on the Autobahn. Went to England two up and full luggage this past week and had to fill up about every 250 miles...until we got back to Germany that is...then the speeds went waaay up and the RT was needing a fillup every 160 miles.

Jakfrost - you don't say how often you reset the computer to calculate a new average. Of course, if you never reset, the average displayed will change less and less often as new data has less effect on the cumulative totals.

Mark, this is new to me...I reset the 2 trip odometers every fillup but have never heard or read about 'reseting the computer'...how do you do this?? Hold down the BC button or something??

Jim

...this is new to me...I reset the 2 trip odometers every fillup but have never heard or read about 'reseting the computer'...how do you do this?? Hold down the BC button or something??

You've got it - when you are at the BC function you want to reset, press and hold the BS button. It'll go to "---" and you'll be ready for new data. Hope you get better results with the mpg/dte calculations from now on...

Hotdamn, a feature I didn't even know I had. That explains why it never changed...I suppose it would be a good thing to do at every fill-up kinda thing.

Going right out to the shop, kick the snow ( it feels cold enough to snow...)away from the shop door and reset my trip computer.

Thanks, Jim

So far (a little over 1000 miles) my BC is showing 49 - 51 mpg (US). Although my habit has always been to reset my trip meter at every fill up, I've been too busy riding to calculate by hand to see how close the mpg is. grin.gif My BC "Miles to empty" also seems to show the value until reserve is reached. I've been down to 15 to 20 miles to empty and haven't been able to get even 5 gallons in the tank yet.

By the way, the BC can be reset for mpg as was mentioned and you can reset the average speed as well. I'm thinking this might be a useful figure on a trip to see speed made good.

Have you reset the or MPG(liters/100kms) since you've had the bike. If you never reset the display, the value tend toward constant value. It is after all, an average that is being calculated.

you can have a little fun with your computer if you hit the reset of mpg when at the top of a mountain (or hill), say with cruise on, and then watch the mpg go up. mine hit 71 mpg once doing this. once the throttle kicked back in, it dropped, and after a mile or so it went back to around 50 mpg, which is about what i normally get. curry

Archived