IGNORED

Relay or Switch Fix on PIAA 1100X's

Voodoo

My PIAA 1100x's have on my R1100RT CycleGadgets Light Bar have stopped working.

64527420-M.jpg

I know it's not the bulb itself becasue I had a spare new one on hand and swapped it out and it's still not working. Is there a fuse somewhere that I can't find? Or, is it this relay?

64527434-M.jpg

I don't think it's the actual switch because the switch turns from green to red when I trigger it. Any ideas? Is there a fuse somwhere that I can't find?

Just in back of the lamps themselves.....maybe 8 12 inches is a harness connection that can come loose due to ???? Anyways, i just had that problem and it drove me nuts till i found it with a volt meter, trasing it back from the ass. fuse box... Hope this helps you

Just in back of the lamps themselves.....maybe 8 12 inches is a harness connection that can come loose due to ???? Anyways, i just had that problem and it drove me nuts till i found it with a volt meter, trasing it back from the ass. fuse box... Hope this helps you

Do you mean the two connectors - one behind each lamp? Or is there something else I can't find? I see the individual connectors behind each lamp which are both tight, and the one relay connector in the picture above. All are tight. I'm still confused. confused.gifconfused.gif

Well, in rereading your post i realized that my fix was deferent than yours as BOTH your bulbs are dark.... From my Aftermarket fuse box to the lamps....trasing the piaas harness, I did not find a fused link as i had expected to.... I say i expected to as my piaa 910's had a inline fuse.... Still, i would start at the power sorse and using a volt meter check for power right up the line ..... It had helped me that i had the tank off and it looked to me you also have the tank off in the picture.. One final note, there is one other connector, that connects the two lamp leads to the trunkline that termanates at the connection box you have pictured. I haven't been able to find the papers that came with the set i have, which would help.

There was a 25A ATC fuse in my PIAA harness. Dealer installers tend to hide these under the tank.

OK, I assume the LED on the switch is lit by the relay trigger circuit, but he has no 12V passing to the lights through the light harness, Correct?

All other electrical accessories work, right?

The picofuse in the PIAA "PL5FA" relay module on my 1400s blew after a year or two. I took it in to my local auto parts shop and PIAA dealer, and got a replacement PL5FA module for free. After all, there is a lifetime warranty on PIAA hardware.

If you have juice at the relay module, and no juice leaving it, then it's probably the picofuse, replacable, but why bother?

Thanks Johnathan, I'm going to have a reunion with that module next time i have the tank off and move it where its more accessable as Pauls install suggests

One final note, there is one other connector, that connects the two lamp leads to the trunkline that termanates at the connection box you have pictured. I haven't been able to find the papers that came with the set i have, which would help.

I will try and locate that. Idon't have the tank off right now, but it looks like I need to pull a few more panels off to really trace this issue.

OK, I assume the LED on the switch is lit by the relay trigger circuit, but he has no 12V passing to the lights through the light harness, Correct?

All other electrical accessories work, right?

Have to check it with a voltmeter - but yes, all other accessories are working.

The picofuse in the PIAA "PL5FA" relay module on my 1400s blew after a year or two. I took it in to my local auto parts shop and PIAA dealer, and got a replacement PL5FA module for free. After all, there is a lifetime warranty on PIAA hardware.

That's my next check.

If you have juice at the relay module, and no juice leaving it, then it's probably the picofuse, replacable, but why bother?

I ran the whole harness and it's definitely the PL5FA. You said "why bother replacing it?" Can I just get rid of it and wire driectly? Why have the relay in the first place?

I ran the whole harness and it's definitely the PL5FA. You said "why bother replacing it?" Can I just get rid of it and wire driectly? Why have the relay in the first place?

No, no, you need a relay to take the circuit breaking abuse that most reasonable sized switches can't handle (more than a few dozen times). You could replace the PIAA relay with any available 20 amp or better automotive relay, but that could take an hour or so to identify all the proper wires and rewire.

The picofuse is an extra fuse that looks like a 1/4 watt resistor and is visible if you slide the cover off the relay module. I can't remember if it is soldered in place or surface mounted via pin sockets. My comment about replacing it or not had more to do with the fact that PIAAs come with a written lifetime warranty. So, if you bought them from a local shop, or have a local shop that is patient with mail ordered hardware and will honor warranty for materials bought from other vendors, then just take it there for a replacement module.

Otherwise, pico fuses may be available at Radio Shack, but are certainly available from any real electronics store or Newark Electronics over the web.

If you get stumped, let me know and I'll go out and take one of mine apart so I can answer questions with more recent memory cells.

Thanks Jonathan. Now I got it.

I got the whole set up from CycleGadgets, so if they can get me a replacement, then no problem. Otherwise, I'll try and replace the picofuse.

Thanks again.

Paul_Burkett

If all else fails, call Cycle Gadgets and ask for Sean, he owns the place and is an electronics wiz. I had a problem with mine and he walked me through it until it was fixed.

Props to CycleGadgets. I heard from them yesterday and they are sending me a new relay free of charge. It's so nice to know there are still companies like them around.

I'll report back on the fix when the relay gets here.

A Final word. Cyclegadgets came through as promised with the new relay. It took 20 minutes to install and now the lights are shining bright once again! In addition, the new relay also came with an inline fuse, which it didn't have before.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

• 10 months later...

I have the same problem right now with my PIAA lights on my R1100RT I have power all the way to my relay plug and then nothing to my lights. What is a Picofuse? And where could it be?

I had the same bike, lights, and problem. They worked for about three months, then quit. I thought the relay was bad. I called Cyclegadgets and they said they had seen problems with this set up not having a good ground. Sure enough, when I took the ground all the way to the battery, they began working and have been working for a year now. Might give it a try.

Paul thanks for telling me about Cycle Gadgets and Sean. I was having the same problems with my PIAA lights on my R1100RT and I called Cycle Gadgets and talked to Sean and he walked me through it all the way until I found the problem. A disconnected hotwire. Thanks again !!

Gerald

David,

was checking our your PIAA's and noted an adjustable shock? what did you install and more importantly how does it ride, handle?

was just looking at shocks to replace the stock unit, have about 50k miles on the old unit and im told it is worn out but not sure myself

can you give me some insight

thanks much

Archived