IGNORED

Petrol-smelling oil

Ladioviro

Hi

new to the Bmw world, picked up a 99 r1100r with 99000k on it. Love it so far. Love it 

anyway, been doing a self service on it and I noticed the oil smelled like petrol. Now I understand if it had carbs I’d be checking floats and gaskets, but this is fuel injection is it? 

What could be causing the problem? Don’t want to ruin the new oil without addressing it. 

Also, I saw a hole on the left side at the gear selector and thought it was for the key, I presume it’s doagnostics ?, anyway I put in my key like an idiot and sparks came out so I’m wondering what damage I might have done? 

Sirry fir the first post to be a ‘help me’ thing. Looking forward to getting involved. 

Based in ireland. 

Cheers in advance

20 minutes ago, Ladioviro said:

Hi

new to the Bmw world, picked up a 99 r1100r with 99000k on it. Love it so far. Love it 

anyway, been doing a self service on it and I noticed the oil smelled like petrol. Now I understand if it had carbs I’d be checking floats and gaskets, but this is fuel injection is it? 

What could be causing the problem? Don’t want to ruin the new oil without addressing it. 

Also, I saw a hole on the left side at the gear selector and thought it was for the key, I presume it’s doagnostics ?, anyway I put in my key like an idiot and sparks came out so I’m wondering what damage I might have done? 

Sirry fir the first post to be a ‘help me’ thing. Looking forward to getting involved. 

Based in ireland. 

Cheers in advance

Afternoon Ladioviro

On the fuel smell?-- That might be somewhat normal if the engine has seen a lot of cold weather riding. But if enough fuel in the oil then possibly a dripping fuel injector or a mis-firing cylinder. My usual test for too much fuel  in the oil is take a small oil sample then see if it will light with a match (if it does light then too much fuel in the oil) -- Big problem is in how to get the oil sample as there is no dipstick in your engine.  

If someone has added an aftermarket fuel controller (to richen the fueling) those can sometimes malfunction & cause excess fuel to enter the crankcase. For this you need to understand your motorcycle's fuel injection to see if it is still stock or has something extra added. If your bike has something added it will probably be under the seat & have a non-BMW look, also, will more than likely be hooked into the right hand fuel injector wiring, or into a right hand fuel injector connector.     

On the sparks flying?-- That socket is a 12v accessory socket for powering things like heated clothing or ???. More than likely your blew the fuse for that socket (located in the under-seat fuse box)  -- Check fuse #3 --(3rd one in from shifter side of motorcycle)

Cheers, 

I'll keep an eye on the fuel, not sure what the last guy was doing with it. 

Fuse number three still intact weirdly. I'll try plug in my clothes-dryer 

Hello & welcome!

I have the twin to your bike... a '99 R1100R with 99.5K km on it. I've had it for 2 seasons after not having a bike for 20+ years. It's also my first BMW.  Despite having a "choke" type label on it, the lever on the left bar is really only a fast idle throttle advance for cold starting.  It does the same thing as holding the twist grip open a little bit.  So unlike a choke, it will not enrichen the mixture if the bike is driven with the lever left up. (so that's not the cause) Yes, I guess that if the bike has been driven for only short hops in cold weather, it would never reach operating temp and that could cause fuel buildup in oil. Also, I'm not sure if the fuel injectors are a bit grungy whether they might make a poor pattern (bigger droplets?) that would be more likely to allow fuel buildup (wild guess on my part).  Gungy fuel injectors are a fairly common issue and I do know that the previous owner had the injectors on my bike cleaned and pattern tested just before I bought it.... so you might do some searching on what people have reported as symptoms of dirty injectors and see it it might be a possible culprit.  If it were me, I'd just ride it a bit (maybe with some fuel injector cleaner additive) and keep an eye on whether it continues even when the bike has been known to get up to temp.

Cheers!

Good call, I thought modern fuel would have injector-friendly additives but a few drops of something stronger in there might be a good call. 

Now to tackle tuning and syncing the bodies...hello learning curve

10 minutes ago, Ladioviro said:

Good call, I thought modern fuel would have injector-friendly additives but a few drops of something stronger in there might be a good call. 

Now to tackle tuning and syncing the bodies...hello learning curve

Morning Ladioviro

Before actually balancing the Throttle Bodies you should remove the BBS (B)ig (B)rass air by-pass (S)crews) then clean the screw tips as well as clean the air passages under them. First turn each screw in until lightly seated while counting the number of turns & partial turn to seat them (write it down). This is so you can re-install them back to where they were after cleaning.  

If you find a lot of black coking on the screw tips & in the air passages then you might also want to remove the rear Throttle Body air boots then de-coke the throttle plates & throttle body bore in the throttle plate area.

Use a good carb cleaner that is o2 sensor safe. (Caution: don't get carb cleaner on the painted surfaces of the frame, engine, or body panels.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had an oil analysis done for my car.  While the oil had a smell of gas there was only a trace indicated in the analysis.  Trace indicates below measurable limits.  Watch the sight glass for increasing oil level.  My dad had a VW many years ago that would gain a quart of oil between oil changes.  Ironically it was one of the very first fuel injected cars.