IGNORED

1200RT GPS Mount

DrDakar

I am going to buy a GPS for my RT, probably a Garmin Quest. I searched on the net for a GPS mount, I found some, but no pictures of the GPS on the bike.

Can you guys share the pictures of GPS's on 1200RT ? Any suggestions for GPS mount and wiring ?

Thanks in advance.

Captain_Pat

I purchased a CO-Pilot Shelf from BMR products to mount my Garmin 2610. It puts the display right in my normal driving sight line, its pretty stable and I can easily add more stuff (e.g., XM) later. I ran the power cable behind the dash and along the left hand side of the bike to a Blue Seas fuse box I've mounted under the seat. Installing the shelf and doing the wiring was pretty easy, most of the time was spent removing and reinstalling the tupperware to gain access. So far been very happy with this arrangement.

I have a Quest on my R1200RT. I got the mounting hardware at cycoactive.com. I would be happy to provide more details if needed. See attached picture.

669636-gps004a.jpg.5bd9215e7ae4680a6984f6fcbdb6127b.jpg

I am planning on mounting my Garmn 2610 using touratech stuff. I am going to use the touratech GPS mount (basically a bar that goes across the yoke of your handlebars) alibg with the touratech locking mount for the 2610. You can find both of the here.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/

The handlebar mount is found under the RT1200 stuff and the GPS mount under the gps stuff. At the moment I am awaiting delivery of the handlebar mount but have everything else.

Mottorrad Concepts is clearly the best bracket - however, I'm beginning to seriously wonder. I ordered on March 5, my Visa was billed on March 16, and here it is today, April 16, no bracket, no return of my e-mail, and when I call the number on the website it says it has been disconnected. I'm starting to fell like I've been hosed. frown.gif

I have been reassured by multiple people on this sight that Dutch and Motorrad Concepts is legite. I have had a unit on order since Feb 9th. I have had good response from Dutch this past month. I think I have one waiting for me at the post office. I will keep you all posted. I also had a problem with calling but finally got through. I think the number as posted on the websight is not correct for dialing from the US

hi,

I purchased the mounting bracket that is used for the BMW unit. I then used the Garmin motorcycle mount for my 2610, this is a lockable bracket, had it on my GS and never had any problems. The BMW part cost $130 AUS, the garmin bracket was about $50 AUS.

The BMW part number that I used is- 71 60 7 687 853

Let me know If you some pictures.

Cheers,

Brendan

I have been reassured by multiple people on this sight that Dutch and Motorrad Concepts is legite. I have had a unit on order since Feb 9th. I have had good response from Dutch this past month. I think I have one waiting for me at the post office. I will keep you all posted. I also had a problem with calling but finally got through. I think the number as posted on the websight is not correct for dialing from the US

For the number on the web site, you need to leave out the (0) and prefix with the international dialing access code.

The number is working from the UK. As today (Monday 17th) is a holiday, they may not be open. Remember, we are about 6 hours in front of the USA, so call in the morning.

Andy (no connection etc)

I received my bracket today from Motorrad Concepts. It really is a quality item. I ordered mine on February 9th. I guess patience is the name of the game esp with shipping over to the US.

They must have been out of production. I ordered mine in February and received it with 1 week! Also, I noted on their website that Motorrad Concepts was closed for a full week just recently.

Don_Hudspeth

Ordered mine from Motorrad Concepts I guess about three weeks ago.. showed up today and already have it mounted. Looks real slick. Quality work. thumbsup.gif

Regards,

Don

I have a Motorrad Mount on order also, supposedly shipped on the 31st last month, so should be here any time now.

My question for others is how did you route the power cable and are you powering direct from the battery or via a switched lead?

D.L.

I have a Motorrad Mount on order also, supposedly shipped on the 31st last month, so should be here any time now.

My question for others is how did you route the power cable and are you powering direct from the battery or via a switched lead?

You can see how my buddy and I did ours at my R12RT site below.

I took off the left side bodywork to run the GPS wires to a TPS 15 Can-bus helper, which is mounted in a similar location as Don's. I do not have the optional rear accessory outlet so I wired the relay to the unused outlet wire back there. The relay draws so little power that the Can-bus does not notice it so the power to the outlet wire still shuts off 50 seconds after you shut the bike off, thereby shutting down the TPS 15. The TPS 15 gets in main power from the battery. You could also run the TPS 15 relay wire up to the front marker light.

I too am interested in mounting a Garmin (2720 in my case) on an R12RT. I saw several interesting configurations or oilheaqds at Branson and am pondering the options.

Wiring is another matter. The R12RT has a rectangular socket in the bundle behind the front fork for connection to the BMW Navigator. I purchased a Garmin cord with connector for helmet speakers that looks the same as the BMW part except it does not have a plug on the end. Do you see any problem with splicing to this connector? TIA.

sierra bmw has a great web site with a long list of parts and accessories. they have an RCU shelf for gps and such with a good picture of the shelf. they have a lot of things that i intend to order, including a "shower cap" type of bike cover that i want just to keep the sun off the bike when it is parked at work. curry here is the link

http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/category.html?UCIDs=1312290

Archived