IGNORED

rear tire for 2011 RT

Jharpphoto

Hi Fellas

I've got 16,700 miles on a Michelin Pilot sport rear tire and it is pretty bald down the center.  It's time to replace it and I wanted to get some ideas about which tires you guys are using. I ride mostly highway/commuter miles hence the middle tire wear.  I don't have any problem with the Pilot that is on the bike but thought there might be something else out there I should know about.

27 minutes ago, Jharpphoto said:

Hi Fellas

I've got 16,700 miles on a Michelin Pilot sport rear tire and it is pretty bald down the center.  It's time to replace it and I wanted to get some ideas about which tires you guys are using. I ride mostly highway/commuter miles hence the middle tire wear.  I don't have any problem with the Pilot that is on the bike but thought there might be something else out there I should know about.

Afternoon Jharpphoto

If you got 16,700 out of a rear tire & didn't complain about the noise or handling then you answered you own question. 

I'm usually looking at 3 new rear tires by that many miles (with any brand tire).   

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Jharpphoto said:

Afternoon Jharpphoto

Yes, BUT, they aren't manufactured any longer as well as they have some limitations as far & usable wear indicators go.  (the wear indicators are in location on the rear tire that most riders don't ride on very much) 

My (personal) preference is still the old Metzler Z-6.  Mainly  for my aggressive style of riding  as to me they are very predictable throughout their wear life. I also get even wear all the way to the  edges, I  just don't get long  life out of them (but I don't get long life out of any motorcycle tire).

I probably wouldn't recommend the Z-6 for straight up highway/commuter usage due to the rear wear indicators as they usually look good without a lot of indication of wear right up to the point of the tire cords showing (look good to the eye one minute then 200 miles later  are showing the cords).

If you are getting 16,700 miles out of the rear  tire that you are currently  using then I think you have found your 'silver bullet' tire.

• 1 month later...
MariettaMark
On 4/16/2019 at 2:13 PM, Jharpphoto said:

I just put a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 GTs on my 2004 RT after getting 14k on the previous set of PR3s. Now I'm not at all what you would call an aggressive rider but I thought that was pretty good. The initial 60 mile  ride home was outstanding. Liking the  PR4s already!

I've been through three Pilot Roads which I liked, but for whatever reason, I seem to pick up a nail or screw before I manage to wear them out. Based on recommendations from various places, the last time I put on a Shinko 011 Verge which cost less than half of what a PR4 costs. From what I've heard, you get 2/3 of the life at half the price.

I don't notice any difference between the Shinko and a PR3 or PR4 as far as quality of ride.

Many years on Michelin Road 3, 4 (GT) & currently Michelin Road 5's.  Planning a long ride & want a "Road Trip" tire.  Unfortunately Michelin has yet to introduce a 5 GT so looking elsewhere. 

Have narrowed in down to either "Metzeler Roadtec 01 HWM or the new Pirelli Angel GT II "A".   For me anyway.  (Another member told me recently "Discussing tires is like posting an oil thread; 'you like what you like'.  :))

The Roadtec gets great reviews.  Not a lot of rider comments yet about the Pirelli Angel GT's but encouraging talk by the usual folks who do that sort of thing. 

Tires are very subjective but I will share my experience with the Roadtec HWM on my K1600GT.  First, the front was made in China as are the current Pirelli Angel II from what I understand.  I'm sure the Pirelli/Metzler plant in China is state of the art but I does matter to some.

I've always preferred Metzlers even though the rears go from looking ok to oh crap there are the cords in about 2 miles.  When the Roadtec hit the market I scooped up a set.  Never was comfortable with the traction on the front and it began to square off (I've seen cupping but this was different) as is typical in a rear tire but the transitions in the the curves was unsettling.  It also howled worse than any tire I've had.  I suspect there may have been an issue with the tire, the were a few other riders on the K1600 forums with the same type of issues.  The rear was ok and manufactured in Germany.  Unassed them after 3000 miles.  

No more for me, too many other options.  Currently running Bridgestone T31s on the fat girl, great price, good handling on dry pavement, and looks like I'll get about 6000 miles which is about typical.  Gonna mount a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3s for the trip to the UN. Great reviews on the K1600 forums.

• Like 1

I just put a set of T31 GTs on my RT and after about 500 miles I'm loving them. Nobody ever talks about these in the same company as the big 5 (Pirelli/Michelin/Dunlop/Metzeler/Conti) and so I wonder why. They seem great to me so far...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had Dunlop Roadsmart III tires on my rear twice for my '05 RT. They have been just fine and significantly less expensive then the Michelin.  I have seen similar mileage between the PR3 that I had and the Roadsmart III.  But, no where near what you are talking about as far as mileage is concerned.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 2:31 PM, dirtrider said:

preference is still the old Metzler Z-6

Liked the Z-6 a lot, even more than the Z-8

On 4/16/2019 at 11:55 AM, Jharpphoto said:

I've got 16,700 miles on a Michelin Pilot sport

Doood you won the lottery, so play the same numbers again!   I have no idea how one gets to nearly 17K miles on any of the current tires that are not super hard touring tires let alone a sport grade, but if its working for you why mess with it.  Your throttle hand must be velvet! Did you ever race open class motocross bikes? 

16 hours ago, 6speedTi said:

Maybe he meant 16,700 Kilometers?   :rofl:

Haha, I actually thought about that, but I checked jharpphoto's PI and he hails from Georgia.  Maybe the Peach State beat the rest of the country to convert to the metric system though!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 8:01 PM, 6speedTi said:

Maybe he meant 16,700 Kilometers?   :rofl:

I thought it must be a typo and he meant to say 6.700 miles.  I like to use all the rubber I can on my tires, however, it is hard to believe that any motorcycle tire could last that long.