IGNORED

Telelever Pivot Bolt.

Eckhard Grohe

BeniciaRT_GT

Yes.

I learned last year that it should not just be checked, but turned a quarter turn or so. It's easy on the engin side if you have the socket (12mm allen socket and 30mm socket.) The torque is just finger tight almost (7 N/M) but it will take some heat to get it out. Green loctite (weld!) is holding in there. (It is high torque on the non-engine side (150 N/M))

The reason they wear out is there isn't enough movement to move the bearing around the race so it sits and rolls back and forth on one loaded area.

I plan on being in there every 50,000 or so. I'm just going do it as an anual event.

I plan on being in there every 50,000 or so. I'm just going do it as an anual event.

In thumbsup.gif Will work for sauerkraut hotdogs.

BucksTherapy

You've got my interest but I have no idea what you are referring to. This is maintenance I didn't know needed to be done. What adjustment where?

Rich06FJR1300

he's talking about the 2 large bolts near the final drive (really they are positioned right where the yoke is before the final drive). The one on the outside is fixed, not sure you can tighten it anymore. But the one on the wheel side, can be tightened. They're both held in by locktight so you need to heat them up in order for them to loosen up. I have heard reports where there may be some freeplay at the rear wheel, and you can tighten these up to do away with that freeplay. I believe you can check them by grabbing the swing arm and the wheel to see if you can detect any movement. Also, grabbing the rear wheel at 12 oclock and 6 oclock will detect if your crown bearing is going. There should be no freeplay at all at the rear wheel.

Eckhard Grohe

I was posting about the pivot bolt for the 'A' arm of the front suspension. I once, years ago, saw service list drawn up by a rider that had retorquing of the nuts on it. But I have never heard any mention of it since then. and I was wondering if that was something people actually did or just someone more paranoid than me.

Eckhard.

There are those here who know much more about this...however having spent recently spent a lot of time inside that area and learning a lot about it...I would say the bolts should be maintenance free. If those suckers have been torqued to spec with the correct loktite.."They ain't going nowhere."

Usually it requires a LOT of heat and patience to get those suckers loose when you WANT them loose.

If it t'aint broke..........

BeniciaRT_GT
I was posting about the pivot bolt for the 'A' arm of the front suspension.

Eckhard.

Hence the telelever word in the title!!!

Oops, sorry!

FWIW, at 110,000 miles and a lot of rain, mine seem tight and friction free. I wouldnt' worry about them!

Sorry for the confusion!

BucksTherapy

Thanks folks,

I was a little confused but I think I'll take the advice and leave this one alone.

I will do the check on the rear bearings though.

Thanks again.

Archived