Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sirtopper

ABS Disconnected

Recommended Posts

sirtopper

Hi, I have just acquired a 2002 R1150GS, its in pretty good condition 54000 miles and starts and runs well. It is an ABS model but was told the ABS was disconnected. The previous owner didn't know much about how or why.

I have had a look around it and everything is there except the ABS relay. I have sourced one and fitted it but with ignition on I only get the top red ABS light flashing. I know these systems are voltage critical but I don't think I am at that stage yet. I will check the bulb when I get the chance but just wondered if anyone has anything they can suggest.

Many thanks in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dirtrider
1 hour ago, sirtopper said:

Hi, I have just acquired a 2002 R1150GS, its in pretty good condition 54000 miles and starts and runs well. It is an ABS model but was told the ABS was disconnected. The previous owner didn't know much about how or why.

I have had a look around it and everything is there except the ABS relay. I have sourced one and fitted it but with ignition on I only get the top red ABS light flashing. I know these systems are voltage critical but I don't think I am at that stage yet. I will check the bulb when I get the chance but just wondered if anyone has anything they can suggest.

Many thanks in advance 

 

Evening sirtopper

 

That ABS relay is ONLY to flash the dash light, nothing more so it has no effect on the actual ABS operation.

 

You need to verify (IF) the ABS module harness is plugged in & that the ABS module is getting both 12v B+ & getting  ignition-on 12v. (the 12v B+ comes from the back of the alternator)

 

A number on those 1150 I-ABS modules failed (usually due to failed internal pressure switches).

 

Unlike the  earlier ABS-II system your I-ABS system isn't voltage sensitive as it does it critical checks AFTER the engine is started & the alternator is charging.

 

Once you verify power to the ABS module then you might need a GS-911 (or dealer computer) to read the failure trouble codes.

 

Or, see if the brake light is working, if it is then you more than likely have proper power to the ABS module & someone has removed the general warning light from the dash.  

 

If the ABS (warning) part of the system was deactivated that is usually due to the ABS not being  repairable at home so you do have the option of sending the ABS module to module masters for repair, OR just removing the ABS  system then converting to a conventional brake system (you will then need to either use the ABS electronics to control the brake/tail light or use that ABS relay that you bought to reverse the brake light switch input so the brake light will work without the ABS module in the bike.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sirtopper

Hi dirtrider

thanks for your reply. I think I have ABS-II module it looks like the pictures of the II model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dirtrider
5 minutes ago, sirtopper said:

Hi dirtrider

thanks for your reply. I think I have ABS-II module it looks like the pictures of the II model.

 

Evening sirtopper

 

That's very possible, you must have a pre 09/02 GS as those had the ABS II system.

 

In that case disregard what I posted above as the ABS II is a completely different system.

 

That system (is) voltage sensitive as well a slower than xxxx as far as ABS recovery time goes.

 

There is a power relay under the sliding cover on the side of the ABS module (make sure that hasn't been removed) as well as check for the 2nd warning light bulb.

 

You can re-set the ABS II system as well as use an LED or analog voltmeter to read the ABS failure codes. 

 

Once you get the lights & power input verified post back & I will post the re-set procedure as well as how to grab the ABS failure codes.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sirtopper

Hi dirtrider

So today I managed to find the bulb had been removed at the dash board. I borrowed one to check ABS and I do indeed get alternate flashing dash lights.

I have also noticed that the power has been tapped from the alternator, blue wire,  to feed into the ABS module, green wire. This looks like a power mod to stop the battery low voltage errors.

With this mod I am unable to rest the ABS module, by grounding the the pin in the diagnostic plug, unless I start the engine (not sure if this actually works though?).

I think I have manged to read the flash code, using my digital volt meter. ( difficult to see, will look at a getting a test lamp) but Im sure it reads 4 flashes which seems to imply rear sensor but this could be 5 which battery voltage.

I have measured the ohms for the rear sensor and the front one and they both read the same 127 ohms at the first connectors.I need to measure at the module plug to be sure there is no wire breaks up to that point.

Time and weather caught up with me so many be continue tomorrow.

 

So I guess I need to know if I can reset the ABS with the engine running or is there another way?

Also am I missing something with my method?

 

Many thanks for your help on this

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dirtrider
7 minutes ago, sirtopper said:

Hi dirtrider

So today I managed to find the bulb had been removed at the dash board. I borrowed one to check ABS and I do indeed get alternate flashing dash lights.

I have also noticed that the power has been tapped from the alternator, blue wire,  to feed into the ABS module, green wire. This looks like a power mod to stop the battery low voltage errors.

With this mod I am unable to rest the ABS module, by grounding the the pin in the diagnostic plug, unless I start the engine (not sure if this actually works though?).

I think I have manged to read the flash code, using my digital volt meter. ( difficult to see, will look at a getting a test lamp) but Im sure it reads 4 flashes which seems to imply rear sensor but this could be 5 which battery voltage.

I have measured the ohms for the rear sensor and the front one and they both read the same 127 ohms at the first connectors.I need to measure at the module plug to be sure there is no wire breaks up to that point.

Time and weather caught up with me so many be continue tomorrow.

 

So I guess I need to know if I can reset the ABS with the engine running or is there another way?

Also am I missing something with my method?

 

Many thanks for your help on this

 

 

Morning sirtopper

 

You should be able to do the reset with engine running as the ABS module only knows voltage inputs not engine inputs.

 

Is that blue alternator wire running directly from the alternator to the green wire ABS (ign 12v) input or is there a relay in that circuit controlled by that blue wire?  If direct then you REALLY should add a relay & fused  12v B+ source  as that blue wire circuit is not designed to  power anything like the ABS module. (that could also be your low voltage source as at key-on (engine not started) that blue wire only sees low current (low voltage under load)  as it is powered THROUGH the generator light bulb until the alternator starts charging & powers it from the voltage regulator monitoring output.

 

If in doubt then cut/disconnect that blue wire running into the ABS module, then once engine is running power the ABS module green wire circuit into the ABS module with direct 12v from the battery + post as a test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sirtopper

Evening dirtrider

 

Sorry the slow reply work and stuff.

 

So I removed the wire from alternator and reconnected to the pin 15 wire on ABS module. The battery has been on charge for a few days and seems to be in good condition as I knew this was going to be critical.

I reset the ABS module and turned on the ignition to see 2 blinking red lights in unison. Made me very happy but I knew I need to do the pull away test before I knew all was OK.

After I had rebuilt the front instrument cluster and refitted the wheels with new tyres. I was changing some instrument bulbs but still have a different issue with oil pressure light not coming on. Any way set off and there was a different noise under the tank, ABS module and both red ABS lights went out. SO it would appear all is good. What I need to do is activate the ABS on some loose surface to check it.

Thank you so much for your help packet of chocolate hobnobs if you ever make it to Hull

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dirtrider
2 minutes ago, sirtopper said:

Evening dirtrider

 

Sorry the slow reply work and stuff.

 

So I removed the wire from alternator and reconnected to the pin 15 wire on ABS module. The battery has been on charge for a few days and seems to be in good condition as I knew this was going to be critical.

I reset the ABS module and turned on the ignition to see 2 blinking red lights in unison. Made me very happy but I knew I need to do the pull away test before I knew all was OK.

After I had rebuilt the front instrument cluster and refitted the wheels with new tyres. I was changing some instrument bulbs but still have a different issue with oil pressure light not coming on. Any way set off and there was a different noise under the tank, ABS module and both red ABS lights went out. SO it would appear all is good. What I need to do is activate the ABS on some loose surface to check it.

Thank you so much for your help packet of chocolate hobnobs if you ever make it to Hull

 

 

 

Afternoon sirtopper

 

As long as you have that wire coming from the gen light/alternator accessible you might want to add in a relay that doesn't allow the green wire to power up the ABS module until engine is running (that works pretty good to prevent future low system voltage ABS issues)

 

On your oil light not coming on-- locate the oil pressure switch on the L/H side of the engine, then with key-on, just ground the wire going to that oil pressure switch. If the oil light comes on then your oil pressure switch is probably bad. If it doesn't come on then you have a light bulb issue, or open in the wire from the oil pressure switch to the light, or no key-on 12v going to the light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sirtopper

Evening dirtrider

 

So finally got some time to spend on my GS. 

 

The ABS stuff seems to be sorted got to test it on my mates lawn and it worked and I could here the ABS unit under the tank. Have had the lights flash out of sync but only because I had left the bike off charge for a long time. Soon as charged no issues.

 

After following your guide on the oil pressure switch I ordered a new one, fitted and all good. :)

 

A big thank you for all your help much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...