IGNORED

Clutch Failures

John_Fischer

John_Fischer

With only 2 BMWs in my life I've had 3 clutch slip problems. '94R1100RS tranny fluid leak onto clutch caused. '04R1150GS ADV slave cylinder leak caused (warranty repaired). Now, same bike 12000 miles later, clutch slip-reason unknown. Do these oilheads have a clutch slip weakness or am I just unlucky? I am definitely easy on the clutch in my driving habits.

A few of the early oilhead engines, of which your RS would qualify (although that's no guarantee that it was one of the affected units), did have some issues with the finish on the output shaft, which might cause the seal to fail.

As for your Adventure, a failed slave cylinder is not at all a common problem. But, having had one fail, I would wonder about the second as well as the quality of the original repair. Hopefully it is still under warranty such that both the slave cylinder and the clutch (if that's the cause of the slippage) will be replaced.

Do these oilheads have a clutch slip weakness or am I just unlucky?

Man, you are definitely unlucky with oilhead clutches. I hope your luck improves! grin.gif

Archived