IGNORED

Cortech tankbag to BMW mount

large-stache

large-stache

I got a stock BMW tankbag with my used '09 1200RT, the map case was yellowed, and the main zipper broke.  I like the BMW mount and thought maybe I could put a different bag on it.  I stopped at a motorcycle shop looking for possible unit, I found a Cortech 12L tankbag marked down to $50 because it had no harness straps. I know it is not huge like the BMW bag, but I have top box and panniers.  I wasn't looking for large amount of storage, just a handy place to keep frequently used things.

1586037399_Cortech12L.thumb.jpg.1a9527bbb9ac53d8dd2a94019876af8b.jpg 

Bingo, it sat on the stock mount pretty good.  I cut all the buckles off the bag.  Made a pattern of the floor of the bag out of posterboard, when I was happy with that pattern, I transferred it to some black plastic sheet. pattern.thumb.jpg.759ef2a73040a1c7b932f24b2b9e78c5.jpg476347188_plasticsheet.thumb.jpg.d89366aa10e9492735b58923472f3b45.jpg

I heated the sheet and formed it to the curve of the stock mount.  I drilled the holes, attaching the plastic to base working from one end to the other. 

1817707962_plasticbolted.thumb.jpg.48f83539724e19d27b6ff544b64e07ae.jpg

Next I removed the plastic, placed it in the bottom of the tank bag and used an awl to poke through the tankbag and the plastic sheet. I used some #6-32 x 3/4" stainless screws with nylon lock nuts.  When I got it tightened up I trimmed the excess length with a Dremel.

875611404_attachedtobase.thumb.jpg.7e231597132264fd2b49d3c99a831e78.jpg

I cut the stitching loose from the pad that normally goes under a strap on bag. I used the thin pad that was inside, and glued it to the black plastic to smooth and pad the bumps from the nuts.  I then used a piece of the rubber gripper material from the bottom of the pad to line the inside of the tank bag.

lining.thumb.jpg.fec84331cc4ded399dd46ee140cbc910.jpg

(disclaimer: use caution with hot glue. I did manage to get it on my fingers a couple times :mad:

I think it came out pretty good.  It may have the added feature of adjusting the windshield at full lock left turns.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, large-stache said:

I got a stock BMW tankbag with my used '09 1200RT, the map case was yellowed, and the main zipper broke.  I like the BMW mount and thought maybe I could put a different bag on it.  I stopped at a motorcycle shop looking for possible unit, I found a Cortech 12L tankbag marked down to $50 because it had no harness straps. I know it is not huge like the BMW bag, but I have top box and panniers.  I wasn't looking for large amount of storage, just a handy place to keep frequently used things.

Bingo, it sat on the stock mount pretty good.  I cut all the buckles off the bag.  Made a pattern of the floor of the bag out of posterboard, when I was happy with that pattern, I transferred it to some black plastic sheet. 

I heated the sheet and formed it to the curve of the stock mount.  I drilled the holes, attaching the plastic to base working from one end to the other. 

Next I removed the plastic, placed it in the bottom of the tank bag and used an awl to poke through the tankbag and the plastic sheet. I used some #6-32 x 3/4" stainless screws with nylon lock nuts.  When I got it tightened up I trimmed the excess length with a Dremel.

I cut the stitching loose from the pad that normally goes under a strap on bag. I used the thin pad that was inside, and glued it to the black plastic to smooth and pad the bumps from the nuts.  I then used a piece of the rubber gripper material from the bottom of the pad to line the inside of the tank bag.

(disclaimer: use caution with hot glue. I did manage to get it on my fingers a couple times :mad:

I think it came out pretty good.  It may have the added feature of adjusting the windshield at full lock left turns.

Morning large-stache

Looks like a good job, does it clear the horn button at full left lock. As a rule a bag with that design mounted on the BMW plate  doesn't clear the horn button on the hexhead RT bikes at full left lock.

large-stache

I will get a pic loaded later after work. I know it might interfere at full lock, but I'm willing to take that little issue. 

4 hours ago, large-stache said:

I will get a pic loaded later after work. I know it might interfere at full lock, but I'm willing to take that little issue. 

Evening large-stache

You can always buy (or make) a horn button guard.

I made one for a friend & it keeps his horn from blowing when turns the handlebars all the way left.  Makes it a bit more difficult to use the horn but he is like me & never uses his horn anyhow.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8500247.html

horn guard.jpg

• Like 1
large-stache

Thanks dirtrider.  I have seen that idea for other bikes before.  If it hits I may try to make something like that. (because I'm thrifty, and I like to do things the hard way:classic_tongue:)

large-stache

I got the bag on the bike.

IMG_20190413_112759.thumb.jpg.bef60b76ef752a28cf75c8a2cb5e7a47.jpg

Yes it does make contact with handlebars on full lock. Right turn it contacts the seat heat switch, but didn't appear to move it.IMG_20190413_112928.thumb.jpg.985ecc9970e7092dae71f788529f5008.jpg

The big question is does it honk the horn on full left?IMG_20190413_112942.thumb.jpg.b43b4bdadb97599b7b9eb2e8caf14ff1.jpg

Mine didn't honk the horn, but it does contact the windshield adjustment switch, and it did lower it. Of course the bag is empty, if it had stuff in it that possibliy made a bulge or stiff spot at that place it may honk the horn  Your results may vary depending on size of bag etc. 

34 minutes ago, large-stache said:

I got the bag on the bike.

Yes it does make contact with handlebars on full lock. Right turn it contacts the seat heat switch, but didn't appear to move it.

The big question is does it honk the horn on full left?

Mine didn't honk the horn, but it does contact the windshield adjustment switch, and it did lower it. Of course the bag is empty, if it had stuff in it that possibliy made a bulge or stiff spot at that place it may honk the horn  Your results may vary depending on size of bag etc. 

Afternoon large-stache

That bag looks good on that bike. Keep us posted on if it continues to not honk the horn as it wears  in & expands a little.

Like you I wanted a smaller day-ride tank bag for my 1200RT to use for daily commuter use. 

I wish that Mark from BigMack was still with us. Back in late 2009 I drew up a tank bag design that would fit nicely on the removable tank bag plate for 2005-2009 BMW 1200RT then made some  cardboard  templates that I  sent  to Mark.

He made me a prototype tank bag based on the templates that fit perfectly, cleared all the handlebar buttons, & looked decent.

He then made a few of those  1200RT bags for sale but his health was starting to fade so it never went very far as a production bag (still a few floating  around).

I still use mine a  LOT. -- I still have the template  drawings but I doubt that I will find anybody as accommodating to work with a Mark was. Eventually Mine will wear out so I am interested in how yours works out long term as eventually I will need to replace mine.

AS53BgH.jpg

• Like 1

I will post this 1200RT tank bag plate dimensions here for future readers looking for a smaller tank bag. (gives some idea on what will  fit & clear).

large-stache, this is a good 1200RT tank-bag  'HOW TO' thread that you started here so you might want to see if you can get one of the moderators to move it into the "HOW TO" section for future reader reference.   

1200Tank Bag Plate.JPG

Side View.JPG

• Like 1