Metzeler M-3s on an ST

NakedRider

After being extremly pleased with the Metzeler M-3s on my K1200R I decided to try them on my R1200ST as well. Previously I had been running BT-014s.

These M3s are great. Better grip than the BT-014s and very predictable including when you push it so hard you begin to drift in turns. Leaned all the way over with toes scraping on the ground you still have confidence in thier grip (I let my toes scrape just before the metal parts touch down).

We'll see how long they last. Supposed to be better than the M-1s.

Overall - warm up, wet, dry... this is a great tire for agressive riding. clap.gif

DUBLINCHRIS

Thats the kind of post I like to see wink.gif

Agressive style finding the limits. Drifting in turns and toes down, all that comes when you have confidence in your tyres and they are predictable.

I have BT020R's on my ST as standard. I have had them let go accelerating out of tight/hairpin type corners in the dry. Dosent inspire me with confidence especially in the wet. And you ride a lot in the rain in Ireland or you dont ride at all.

I had Battalax tyres on my previous bike and had supreme confidence in them wet or dry but these Bridgestones on the ST dont feel so good. I am interested in what you report because its time to change rear tyre.

Question for you would you run with BT on front(doesent need changing yet) and M-3 on rear or would you match up and put M-3's front and rear?

Thats the kind of post I like to see wink.gif

Agressive style finding the limits. Drifting in turns and toes down, all that comes when you have confidence in your tyres and they are predictable.

I have BT020R's on my ST as standard. I have had them let go accelerating out of tight/hairpin type corners in the dry. Dosent inspire me with confidence especially in the wet. And you ride a lot in the rain in Ireland or you dont ride at all.

I had Battalax tyres on my previous bike and had supreme confidence in them wet or dry but these Bridgestones on the ST dont feel so good. I am interested in what you report because its time to change rear tyre.

Question for you would you run with BT on front(doesent need changing yet) and M-3 on rear or would you match up and put M-3's front and rear?

Good question. Usually if you switch tire brands you should change both ends. Everyone seems to recommend this so I've always done it.

My ST came with the BT-020s as well. I found that I drifted quite a bit and switched to BT-014s almost right away (got a flat in the back). They were better but the M-3s are even better than that.

The other thing that really seemed to help was keeping the weight off the front end. When I bought the bike I made a simple assumption - clip ons = weight the front end. After 6,000 miles on the bike I learned that if you keep your weight OFF the clipons this bike handles WAY better. I'm enjoying the bike much more these days.

I've only gotten my toes down on the pavement once on my ST, on Redwood Road which I know fairly well. My question is, and I mean not to hijack ofcourse, is, Naked Rider, do you put the balls of your feet on the pegs when riding, or the middle somewhere?

I put the balls of my feet on them, like I am trying to stand on my tiptoes. When my toes hit the road that one time, it kind of startled me because I wasn't execting it. I guess I thought I still had some lean and traction available. Stood me right back up. I love the Bridgestone Bt020s, and wonder if there is a better alternative. I am a creature of habit and relucgtant to change. I think tires might be so good now a days that confidence might come down to personal preference. What is the profile difference between the BT020s and the 010s? The Bridgestones [battleax or BTs] and the Metzlers?

I've only gotten my toes down on the pavement once on my ST, on Redwood Road which I know fairly well. My question is, and I mean not to hijack ofcourse, is, Naked Rider, do you put the balls of your feet on the pegs when riding, or the middle somewhere?

I put the balls of my feet on them, like I am trying to stand on my tiptoes. When my toes hit the road that one time, it kind of startled me because I wasn't execting it. I guess I thought I still had some lean and traction available. Stood me right back up. I love the Bridgestone Bt020s, and wonder if there is a better alternative. I am a creature of habit and relucgtant to change. I think tires might be so good now a days that confidence might come down to personal preference. What is the profile difference between the BT020s and the 010s? The Bridgestones [battleax or BTs] and the Metzlers?

I ride with my arch on the pegs. It does give me a chance to "feel" my way around a corner without touching down hard parts. I would put the balls of my feet on the pegs except one thing. The roads where I live suck. They are riddled with bumps and holes. My fear is that if I let it all hang out, then hit a hole or a bump the bike will side out (had that happen on my GS even though I saved it.

Tire wise - they both roll into a turn about the same (Metzeler and Bridgestone). I've always loved the BT series for the way they rolled in. Very predicable for me. Same thing if they break loose. Very predicable and easy to recover. They are great on wet roads as well. I like the Metzelers even better. The difference between the 20s and the 10s is mostly grip. The 10s, and now the 14s, grip much better. They don't last as long, however. If you ride aggressive figure about 2,000 to 3,000 from the rear. YMMV. thumbsup.gif

I would be interested what kind of mileage you get out of the M-3's on your KR. The M-1's on my S stuck like glue, but were toast in under 3k. Metzler claims better mileage out of the M-3. In the meantime I put a set of Z-6's on the S and they seem to doing ok.

I would be interested what kind of mileage you get out of the M-3's on your KR. The M-1's on my S stuck like glue, but were toast in under 3k. Metzler claims better mileage out of the M-3. In the meantime I put a set of Z-6's on the S and they seem to doing ok.

I'm betting you'll get much better milage from the Z-6s. The M-1s I used to have on the KR were toast after barely over 2,000. I'll let you know how it goes with the M-3s. I can already see a difference after just a few hundred miles.

• 2 months later...
DUBLINCHRIS

Hi Nakedrider

Wondering how you are getting on with the M-3's on your ST?

I am running an 014 on the rear in place of the 020 and found a big improvement with handling/grip. I still have the original 020 on front coming up to 7000 miles, my next change is imminent and it will be front and rear this time. I am keen to go with the M3's front and rear but wondering how you are getting on?

Hi Nakedrider

Wondering how you are getting on with the M-3's on your ST?

I am running an 014 on the rear in place of the 020 and found a big improvement with handling/grip. I still have the original 020 on front coming up to 7000 miles, my next change is imminent and it will be front and rear this time. I am keen to go with the M3's front and rear but wondering how you are getting on?

Still loving them. I'm going to do about a one week trip next week and I'm going to replace the rear before I go. Not sure that the rear I have on there will go another 2,000 miles. Rather be safe than sorry.

Just bought a new R1200S. When the Michelins wear out on that I'm going to try the M-3s again.

DUBLINCHRIS

Good to hear that you are still loving them!

How many miles have you put up on the rear so far?

I was in the same position before my recent trip with about 2K miles projected while I would have had another 1K reasonable miles left on the 020, I felt that last 1K would have been under pressure and I would not have been able to enjoy home leg. I changed the 020 to the 014 and had good rubber for the full trip.

Please give an indication as to current wear of the M-3's, i.e. mileage so far also have you noticed a mileage point where grip starts to go off and handling starts to suffer?

I saw your post on the 1200S and the photos. You dont know how lucky you are having the freedom and choice to own more than one bike being your side of the Atlantic! I have been to my dealer to look at the S and maybe get a test run soon. Problem here is that with costs, availability etc, you have to make do with one main bike to cover all options - that's where the ST comes in thumbsup.gif

Looking forward to reading your reply.

Good to hear that you are still loving them!

How many miles have you put up on the rear so far?

I was in the same position before my recent trip with about 2K miles projected while I would have had another 1K reasonable miles left on the 020, I felt that last 1K would have been under pressure and I would not have been able to enjoy home leg. I changed the 020 to the 014 and had good rubber for the full trip.

Please give an indication as to current wear of the M-3's, i.e. mileage so far also have you noticed a mileage point where grip starts to go off and handling starts to suffer?

I saw your post on the 1200S and the photos. You dont know how lucky you are having the freedom and choice to own more than one bike being your side of the Atlantic! I have been to my dealer to look at the S and maybe get a test run soon. Problem here is that with costs, availability etc, you have to make do with one main bike to cover all options - that's where the ST comes in thumbsup.gif

Looking forward to reading your reply.

I've got about 2,000 on the rear so far. Looks like at least 1,000 more are possible. Just not sure I can squeeze 2,000 out of it.

If you could have only one bike I would think the ST would be a better choice since you have luggage options. So far no problems with the grip or the handling. The tire hasn't squared off either.

Archived