IGNORED

The Epic Begins - The First 650 Miles

q2bruiser

Well, my first 650 miles with my first German bike has gone quickly and well. The 2005 R1200ST is a wonderful machine and definitely a different experience from the many ricers I have owned. Here are a few thoughts:

Pets

Confidence: She is not flick-able; rather, she is planted. Set the line and a fast sweeper is quickly dispensed with. No runs, drips, or errors. She really inspires confidence

Breaks: Never had a bike stop like this. I don’t believe I have gotten into the ABS yet but man, killer breaks.

Torque: First couple of gears and the front end will get light but from then on it is just torque when you need it … and then some. Very nice.

Mileage: Filled up today and she got 45mpg. A very fast 45mpg. Best I have experienced on any of my bikes.

Comfort: Still getting my biker butt into riding shape for the season but long days are not so long. Looking at a custom saddle though. We will see.

Fuel Injection: Another first for me. I love just hitting the starter when cold. No choke is a wonderful thing.

Peeves

Fuel Injection: The off/on throttle transition is a bit jerky without a terribly smooth wrist. Guess there is not enough mass to mask the first high pressure blast of fuel. Carbs still have it on smooth transitions.

Bars: The bars are adjustable but lets just say the Sport Touring is slanted towards Sport. Wish I had another inch of adjustment. Getting used to it though.

That’s it so far.

Now, I must talk about my:

Non oil burning wear-in issue

I didn’t burn any discernable oil but then again I know how to seat rings. Simple physics. Compression rings need high cylinder pressure to wear in. This is especially true with a coating as hard as Nikasil. Got to get some fuel in those babies so the rings will seat. That stuff in the manual about 600 miles, etc? It has everything to do with lawyers and potential liability and nothing to do with engineers. I have had plenty of fun and the level in the sight glass is exactly where it was 650 miles ago.

So, the verdict is I am in love with an inanimate object. I guess here that is quite common.

Have a good one ladies and gentleman.

James

P.S. - I need to clean the garage but every time I go out there I see this thing ... and then the need goes away. wink.gif

1200st33un.jpg

1200st19ka.jpg

Firefight911

Welcome to the fold!!!!!

All us ST types understand. It's like a left brain thing. We are the only one's in our right mind!!

It will only get better with more miles, I can assure you that.

I had the jerky throttle feeling as well. There was a post here a while back regarding reseting the TPS. Just turn on the key, let it go through its, "prior to warp drive" cycle, twist the throttle full stop and back a couple times, start 'er up and ride off.

I am glad you are enjoying your new ride! I see you have changed your screen? Now, you need more farkles, such as GPS (got mine installed today), lights, etc., etc.

Enjoy, and see you out there! thumbsup.gifwave.gif

New1200RTRider

Just put my first 900 miles on a 2005 1200 RT and I love this bike. Have had rice rockets and Harley's but this has to be the best bike I have had so far.

I had the jerky throttle feeling as well. There was a post here a while back regarding reseting the TPS. Just turn on the key, let it go through its, "prior to warp drive" cycle, twist the throttle full stop and back a couple times, start 'er up and ride off.

I am glad you are enjoying your new ride! I see you have changed your screen? Now, you need more farkles, such as GPS (got mine installed today), lights, etc., etc.

Enjoy, and see you out there! thumbsup.gifwave.gif

Thanks for the tip on the throttle. Gonna try that today. And yes, I have already compiled "the list". Now trying to find "the money". cool.gif

Congratulations on the ST and welcome to the Board.

Bring yourself and the ST to Gunnison in June and meet the rest of the gang here at the UnRally.

Archived