IGNORED

Top box strap failed.

chrisz

Hi,

My top box retractable strap (the one that holds the top half to the bottom half) has come off the top half and snapped itself inside the retracter (sp?). Is this part serviceable? Can I open up the retracter and pull the strap out and re-attach it?

Aluminum_Butt

Same thing happened to mine. IIRC, I used tweezers to fish out the strap. Definitely did not have to open the retractor, though.

ShovelStrokeEd

No need, a dental pick will go down into the slot and fish out the strap for you. To be precise, you have to manipulate the pick but, you get the idea.

grizzly660fan

mine did this too, however in my instance, the plastic loop in the top half of the case where the pin goes through broke, so if I fish out the bottom part from the retractor, there is nothing for me to attach it to. very disappointing. I continue to use it, I just open the clam shell 180 degrees now and the top rests on the passenger seat.

Why not attach your strap with a rivot from the outside. Paint the rivot black (on the outside) and you'll barely notice it. thumbsup.gif

BTW, while you are at it, go down to your friendly Bring More Wampum dealership, buy another retractor, then go down to your friendly neighborhood hardware store and get a pop rivet gun and then install the new retractor on the other side so that in effect, you have a balanced support on both sides of the lid. Keeps things from getting warped. Dont try to buy the pin that fits in your top case though, you will have to improvise. (bolt, nut, mebbe a little plastic tubing to cover the exposed threads of the bolt as to not cut the new strap)

Happy hunting.

Michael Fajans

In a custom box I made, I used a heavy duty clothing snap at the end of the elastic strap. The male portion goes on the elastic, the female in the side of the box using a tiny screw and a stainless acorn nut on the exterior of the box.

Archived