IGNORED

This might be cool

Ponch

4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

From that view, it's not offensive at all. :thumbsup:

It's gotta be better than a Streetglide. 

12 minutes ago, AZgman said:

meh... 

I just find the new RT and K bikes too maintenance intensive/expensive to maintain. Cars have gotten simpler overall to maintain. BMW bikes haven't. Between special tools and taking cams out to adjust valve clearances, nah. I can't afford to have someone else do it, so, either they have something easy to maintain or it's back to a Kawasaki at some point if I continue to ride. 

Bill_Walker
1 hour ago, Ponch said:

either they have something easy to maintain or it's back to a Kawasaki at some point if I continue to ride. 

I hate to tell you this, but Kawasakis require cam removal for valve adjustment, too.  As does pretty much any DOHC engine, and some SOHC engines as well.

6 hours ago, Ponch said:

I just find the new RT and K bikes too maintenance intensive/expensive to maintain. Cars have gotten simpler overall to maintain. BMW bikes haven't. Between special tools and taking cams out to adjust valve clearances, nah. I can't afford to have someone else do it, so, either they have something easy to maintain or it's back to a Kawasaki at some point if I continue to ride. 

Honestly for me the RT's and GS's with the liquid cooled boxer motor are much less expensive to maintain compared to the HexHead and CamHead versions :

• Valves are now Checked at 12K intervals
  • Valves rarely need adjusting
  • Final drive now has a REAL fill and drain plug so easy DYI
  • I finally moved to synthetic Oil and the Castrol is really inexpensive 
  • Brake flush is every 2 years

Heck that is one reason I just bought  a leftover 2018 GS !! 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

I hate to tell you this, but Kawasakis require cam removal for valve adjustment, too.  As does pretty much any DOHC engine, and some SOHC engines as well.

Not the one I would buy and they don't need it as often anyway if I did. 

1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

Honestly for me the RT's and GS's with the liquid cooled boxer motor are much less expensive to maintain compared to the HexHead and CamHead versions :

• Valves are now Checked at 12K intervals
  • Valves rarely need adjusting
  • Final drive now has a REAL fill and drain plug so easy DYI
  • I finally moved to synthetic Oil and the Castrol is really inexpensive 
  • Brake flush is every 2 years

Heck that is one reason I just bought  a leftover 2018 GS !! 

I use synthetic, I flush every 2 years or less,  and I don't have to remove cams to change the clearance or need special tools to check it. To top it off, the price is beyond what I would pay for a new bike. 

fourteenfour

I would love a R1200 bagger.. just not with that old CL face, second ugliest BMW ever

no idea what brand that bike was / is that is in the picture

20 minutes ago, CommuterChris said:

I would love a R1200 bagger.. just not with that old CL face, second ugliest BMW ever

no idea what brand that bike was / is that is in the picture

Supposed to be the 1800 boxer BMW is coming out with. 

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

In searching out some info, I came across this. I don't understand the path of power to the rear wheel but, interesting. :java:

https://www.motorradonline.de/chopper-cruiser/bmw-cruiser-erlkoenig-2019-erwischt-erprobungsfahrt-auf-deutschen-strassen/

image-fotoshowBig-a374a765-1295886.jpg

image-fotoshowBig-3d00e01a-1295887.jpg

Ergonomically incorrect for me and doing the valve check and spark plug on the rear cylinder might be less than fun. Clutch is easier to replace though. 

21 hours ago, Ponch said:

I use synthetic, I flush every 2 years or less,  and I don't have to remove cams to change the clearance or need special tools to check it. To top it off, the price is beyond what I would pay for a new bike. 

So pretty much the same as a BMW Boxer :thumbsup:

And as far as cost of the bike goes ... .for what you get BMW's are pretty fairly priced if you shop well. IMHO of course YMMV 

26 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

So pretty much the same as a BMW Boxer :thumbsup:

And as far as cost of the bike goes ... .for what you get BMW's are pretty fairly priced if you shop well. IMHO of course YMMV 

It's not a question of value, but economics. I paid 19K OTD for mine with a 49L topcase. I am at about that limit now. The new RT's are 24K+ OTD from what I've seen. While if I had the money, I'd buy that before a HD or Indian for the same money, It's not in the cards. I suppose as long as there's easy money and loans terms get longer, people will buy anything. I am 5 years from retirement and want to have an easy landing. As far as the maintenance goes, I want less, not more or the same, no special tools needed. 

fourteenfour

I wonder how much that beast will weigh, one of the primary advantages BMW has over the other touring bikes has been a good deal less weight however this is offset by higher than average seat heights compared to the touring competition and on tech BMW falls behind too; the nav system implementation leaves a lot to be desired and LED front lighting is conspicuously absent on much of what they sell.

20 hours ago, TEWKS said:

In searching out some info, I came across this. I don't understand the path of power to the rear wheel but, interesting. :java:

https://www.motorradonline.de/chopper-cruiser/bmw-cruiser-erlkoenig-2019-erwischt-erprobungsfahrt-auf-deutschen-strassen/

Evening TWERKS

I see a conventional chain to the rear wheel so probably has some sort of Harley transmission with Harley style clutch & a primary chain from engine crankshaft to transmission. (or possibly a dry belt from engine crankshaft to transmission).

At least that would be the easiest way to do it. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, CommuterChris said:

I wonder how much that beast will weigh, one of the primary advantages BMW has over the other touring bikes has been a good deal less weight however this is offset by higher than average seat heights compared to the touring competition and on tech BMW falls behind too; the nav system implementation leaves a lot to be desired and LED front lighting is conspicuously absent on much of what they sell.

It'll be less than a HD or Indian of similar displacement, I would guess. Will it  be as light as a GS? No. Those heads and cylinders are huge though. 

My dealer was selling 2018 RT's for $18K or less!   Apparently there was a glut of them and they got a bunch from BMW North America and sold about 6 in a few weeks. 

I'm still not clear on the maintenance issue?  My new RTW is way cheaper to maintain than any other BMW I have owned.   I guess a Harley is less but then ... well it's a Harley and will be worth 1/2 or less after a year. 

Just now, RTinNC said:

My dealer was selling 2018 RT's for $18K or less!   Apparently there was a glut of them and they got a bunch from BMW North America and sold about 6 in a few weeks. 

I'm still not clear on the maintenance issue?  My new RTW is way cheaper to maintain than any other BMW I have owned.   I guess a Harley is less but then ... well it's a Harley and will be worth 1/2 or less after a year. 

THat's cheap for sure. I haven't seen that here, but I haven't checked.