IGNORED

What in the Sam Hill... are these wires called?!

rhetoric

So I know these are the German version of cigarette lighter plugs, (and one with the on/off switch), but I don't what they're called!  I'm trying to set up a power plug/USB port and it's hard to buy adaptors etc when you don't know what you're buying.  And the two with the metal button leads?!  I have no idea what they are!  My goal is to be able to charge my phone, run a GPS, and maybe even plug in a toaster oven or a portable hot tub. You can see the appliance bar over the handlebars for attaching the phone, etc.

These came with the bike, but no instructions and the P.O. had passed away, so...  Feel free to tell me this is all antiquated and I need to start from scratch, but I need names either way.  Thanks!

IMG_20190331_164129490.jpg

IMG_20190331_164516064.jpg

IMG_20190317_150603570.jpg

They are called a couple of things.   Powerlet plugs, John Deere also uses them.  The ones with the snaps I have no idea.   A handy way to get extra power is an AUX fuse panel.  I used the Eastern Beaver 3CS He also makes other quality stuff check his website.

• Thanks 1

aka ISO 4165  or DIN 4165 plugs.  Used like a cigarette lighter plug, but much more secure.  The snap connectors seem to have "Widder" molded into them - Widder made heated clothing.  I don't think that sort of connector is seen any more. The box on the coiled cord could be a heat control.

The photo of straight cord with the Powerlet plug could have a two-pin SAE connector - glare makes it hard to see. 

SAE 2 Pin Connector

If, so there are lots of uses and adapters for that cord - USB adapters, GPS, powered tank bag, some battery tenders, etc.

2 hours ago, rhetoric said:

So I know these are the German version of cigarette lighter plugs, (and one with the on/off switch), but I don't what they're called!  I'm trying to set up a power plug/USB port and it's hard to buy adaptors etc when you don't know what you're buying.  And the two with the metal button leads?!  I have no idea what they are!  My goal is to be able to charge my phone, run a GPS, and maybe even plug in a toaster oven or a portable hot tub. You can see the appliance bar over the handlebars for attaching the phone, etc.

These came with the bike, but no instructions and the P.O. had passed away, so...  Feel free to tell me this is all antiquated and I need to start from scratch, but I need names either way.  Thanks!

Evening rhetoric

That is 'most' of an old Widder heated glove kit (haven't seen those in years). You are missing the actual gloves & if I remember correctly some sort of "Y" cable to connect both gloves to the  (on/off) switch control.

Unless you have the gloves (& they fit) then the  cables are only usable for parts to wire something new in. Even the switch is not very useful as those didn't have infinite control.   

I'm not sure what that loop shown in the bottom picture is for, could be for a GPS mount, or possibly some sort of accessory mount??

2 hours ago, lkraus said:

aka ISO 4165  or DIN 4165 plugs.  Used like a cigarette lighter plug, but much more secure.  The snap connectors seem to have "Widder" molded into them - Widder made heated clothing.  I don't think that sort of connector is seen any more. The box on the coiled cord could be a heat control.

The photo of straight cord with the Powerlet plug could have a two-pin SAE connector - glare makes it hard to see. 

SAE 2 Pin Connector

If, so there are lots of uses and adapters for that cord - USB adapters, GPS, powered tank bag, some battery tenders, etc.

Yes, Ikraus -- that's the connector.  Thanks!

22 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening rhetoric

That is 'most' of an old Widder heated glove kit (haven't seen those in years). You are missing the actual gloves & if I remember correctly some sort of "Y" cable to connect both gloves to the  (on/off) switch control.

Unless you have the gloves (& they fit) then the  cables are only usable for parts to wire something new in. Even the switch is not very useful as those didn't have infinite control.   

I'm not sure what that loop shown in the bottom picture is for, could be for a GPS mount, or possibly some sort of accessory mount??

Nope -- no gloves included!  I figure the switch might be helpful as a control to shut everything off (phones, GPS, whatever is plugged into that powerlet) so I don't kill my battery.

It's got to be an accessory mount.  I just couldn't figure out where the power outlets were near the bar.  Turns out, the "intercom" plugs below the seat are the  BMW powerlet plugs, not phone jacks!  So I'm guessing he ran power up from that to the handlebars.  I'll probably do the same.

12 hours ago, rhetoric said:

Nope -- no gloves included!  I figure the switch might be helpful as a control to shut everything off (phones, GPS, whatever is plugged into that powerlet) so I don't kill my battery.

It's got to be an accessory mount.  I just couldn't figure out where the power outlets were near the bar.  Turns out, the "intercom" plugs below the seat are the  BMW powerlet plugs, not phone jacks!  So I'm guessing he ran power up from that to the handlebars.  I'll probably do the same.

Morning  rhetoric

If you can contact the seller of that bike you might ask if they still have the gloves laying around somewhere  (they will say 'Widder Lectric-Heat' on them in large letters, so should be easy to identify).

Other than the non adjustable heat control those gloves contained Thinsulate & actually worked pretty darn good. 

On my rig, the snaps attach under a flap at the back of each shoulder on a Widder heated vest; you have to have a heated vest in order to power the gloves. I have both vest and gloves, and they work well after a dozen or so years. The "snapped" cables shown don't look long enough to reach from shoulder to wrist, so Dirt is probably correct that there's an intermediate splitter that's not with your set.

btw, I've heard that Widder electric stuff was made to run off straight DC; the "controller" pictured above is just a simple rocker switch. Again hearsay, but supposedly the other common brands of electric heated gear have a controller that converts your bike's DC to AC power. Caveat emptor.

NoKick90

8 minutes ago, NoKick90 said:

On my rig, the snaps attach under a flap at the back of each shoulder on a Widder heated vest; you have to have a heated vest in order to power the gloves. I have both vest and gloves, and they work well after a dozen or so years. The "snapped" cables shown don't look long enough to reach from shoulder to wrist, so Dirt is probably correct that there's an intermediate splitter that's not with your set.

btw, I've heard that Widder electric stuff was made to run off straight DC; the "controller" pictured above is just a simple rocker switch. Again hearsay, but supposedly the other common brands of electric heated gear have a controller that converts your bike's DC to AC power. Caveat emptor.

NoKick90

Afternoon  NoKick90

None that I know of convert to AC (be no reason to & some reasons not to), some do use pulsed DC (PWM)  for the lower heat settings so that could confuse some into thinking it is being converted to AC.  

Some of the older heated clothing controllers simply use a resistance type controller & those also stay with DC.

None that I know of convert to AC (be no reason to & some reasons not to), some do use pulsed DC (PWM)  for the lower heat settings so that could confuse some into thinking it is being converted to AC.  

Thanks for clarifying, O Oracle. I've been carrying the heated gloves but haven't needed them, since the grips were either quite satisfying or a bit too warm. The only surprise after the first few foul-weather rides on the hexhead has been how quickly my gloves have gotten wet in light rain. Boots, too.

NoKick90 

10 hours ago, NoKick90 said:

Thanks for clarifying, O Oracle. I've been carrying the heated gloves but haven't needed them, since the grips were either quite satisfying or a bit too warm. The only surprise after the first few foul-weather rides on the hexhead has been how quickly my gloves have gotten wet in light rain. Boots, too.

NoKick90 

Morning  NoKick90

I carry some thin rubber  "electrical insulation" over-gloves that slide on over my summer  riding gloves  (like large dishwashing gloves with gauntlets). Those do a great job of keeping the water off my riding gloves plus keeps the water from going up my jacket sleeves.

As for wet boots, I have waterproof riding boots but they do make & sell  thin waterproof (over-boots) that you slide over your boots to keep them 'somewhat' dry while riding.

ALFCwYw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a tank bag. Might be more versatile than a shelf set up.

You can run power from the battery to an accessory block like Eastern Beaver, or a Marine fuse block.

Then run power to this fuse block for accessories.

You can use the one Powerlet/BMW plug in your pic to connect directly to the auxilliary power outlet(s) {some have 2 or more}.

With that you could charge a phone easily. Or power a GPS.

I ran power to my tankbag for Autocom, GPS, phone charger, music. Hooked to phone/intercom/GPS etc.

We also ran our heated jackets and gloves.

This is when we used the outlets and plugged in both our Gerbings jacket/gloves.

The outlets are fused.

Check yours as they were lowered in power capacity at some point limiting (somewhat) the draw.

Long winded way to say I reserved the outlets for "neeed" (running air compressor ie) or heat.

Everything else was in line fused directly to battery or to fused power block.

Best wishes.