IGNORED

So I walked in to just look.....

etitanic

We all know the story, walked in to take a look at the 2019 1250RT, within a hour was signing papers. I have never owned a BMW but have been familiar to them and the boxer engine since a friend had one in 1973. Owned everything from a 50cc Honda, 350 Honda, 1973 750 Bonneville, HD low rider, road king, electra glide classic and my last bike 2014 Triumph Trophy. Heard good things about the new engine and since this may well be the last bike I own thought you only live once go for it. Its the standard black model. Looking forward to this.

• Like 5

Admire a person that can go into a dealership to take a peek & boom, the new bike comes home. :thumbsup: Me, I torture myself with the decision process, sometimes for a very long time. 

Hey, even the "standard black" deserves a picture for us to ogle over. :grin:

Welcome! :wave:

Congratulations on the new bike.  Post some pix when you get a chance.   I have owned a lot of brands, but have always had a flat twin BMW in the stable since the 70s.  And up until the Waterhead it was very much an evolutionary process for each new generation..

The Waterhead and Shiftcam really are a whole different animal from the previous generations.  They edge closer to a perfection for the flat twin design with very few idiosyncrasies, yet not becoming too sterile.

With your broad base and long riding experienced it would be nice to read your thoughts on the new ride.

Have had a Camhead and two Wetheads, and frankly I’m afraid to even go sit on the 1250....of course if someone buys my Africa Twin (yo, it’s in the classifieds section) then I can rejoin the ranks. Know that going from a Camhead to Wethead was a quantum jump, know you’ll have a smile on every time you ride. 

As a fellow 2019 R 1250 RT owner, I welcome you to the club.  Many moons ago, I had a few rides on an '08 RT which was still a big step up from my C, but this new RT makes it worlds apart.

Cheers,

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I have updated my location, here in sunny Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The pictures will follow once I pick up the new 1250RT, I don't want to use a canned image. You all deserve the real thing with me and my big grin.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Congratulations on the new ride!  That's the equivalent of being a $1000 member of Costco; you know when you just go in for a couple of things and end up spending a grand and not even getting a new TV.

Rider1200RT

Congrats with the new bike! Isn't it amazing how they have the ability to follow you home after just 'looking' at them... :grin:

Four things i tell myself to never do simultaneously at a dealership 

1. Walk in just "to look"

2. Throw a leg over a bike and tell yourself you "just want to sit on it"

3. Don't make engine sounds in your head 

4. Look a sales person in the eye

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Every time I walk into the dealer I find myself being called to the Baby GS, G310GS.  I love my 11RT, and I plan on keeping that one for a very long time.  I do not know what it is, but they keep calling me...

14 hours ago, Medic Mike said:

Every time I walk into the dealer I find myself being called to the Baby GS, G310GS.  I love my 11RT, and I plan on keeping that one for a very long time.  I do not know what it is, but they keep calling me...

The 310 is a gas to ride.  The standard version is a hoot to ring out on the track.  If I can find a cheap version in the future, I could definitely see spending some time exploring back-roads and out of the way places on one.

Congrats on the new ride. A month ago I too sat on a new R1250RT. I loved it, but kept telling myself, No... No.... No... Don't Do It. 

I then wandered over to the Parts Department and got what I came for. No New Bike for me, not yet anyways. 

On 3/31/2019 at 9:05 AM, etitanic said:

I have never owned a BMW ...

IMHO a VERY relevant question is whether you've ever owned a BMW car, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, even VW.

The German automotive culture is again imho apples/oranges different than the American culture and I think it difficult if not futile to apply American habits to BMWs or anything else German.  German cars even arrive with higher quality light bulbs than anything ever installed at an American car factory.  Spark plugs for German vehicles come out of the box correctly gapped.  Germans use crush washers on drain/fill plugs ... one-time use only.  There's more.  I think you'll have fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats on the new bike. What a looker!

I was at Gateway in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago getting a fuel strip put in the 2008 GS attached to my sidecar. Went in and looked around the showroom. A "Special Edition GS" for $28,000. Wowza!

The offered me test rides on whatever I wanted while I was waiting, but I knew enough to say no.

RT's  pushing $25K

850 GS in the $17 range which used to be what the 1200 GS sold for.

I'm glad that someone keeps buying new Beemers. Makes used ones available for folks like me. 

• Haha 1
On 4/8/2019 at 5:02 PM, Martyn said:

I can feel myself being led into temptation.........:old:

And I duly succumbed; delivery to the dealer yesterday, for "on the road June 1st"