IGNORED

Mounting PIAA 1100 X Lights om R1200RT

Mike05

I just returned from the dealership after having the 6k checkup on my R1200RT. While there I got into a discussion about replacing the stock headlamp bulbs with PIAA H7's. That led to checking the price on a set of PIAA 1100 lamps with brackets. I was told the dealership could mount them in about 3-4 hours (labor) time @ $70.00 an hour.

That seems a bit steep. I know my way around a wrench, am obviously challenged electricially or wouldn't have to ask this but:

Have any of you mounted a set of the PIAA 1100's on an R1200RT and is it really necessary for the dealership to do it?

Any and all guidance appreciated.

Mike05

I have mounted them straight under the oil cooler on to the trim itself, yet to test for vibration. I see Dallas Motorcycles now do a bracket for them for which I have e mailed awaiting a price for shipping.Mind you I have only sent 4 e-mails so I am probably a bit impatient grin.gifgrin.gif

That led to checking the price on a set of PIAA 1100 lamps with brackets. I was told the dealership could mount them in about 3-4 hours (labor) time @ $70.00 an hour.

That seems a bit steep.

With a little effort, you can get the lights and brackets for $250 total. You would be paying $210-$280 on top of that for the mounting. You are right, that is steep, but I'll bet the labor price would not vary much from one dealer to another.

If I read the advertising right, I think the Micro-Flooters kit from Santa Cruz ($220) should be a fairly easy installation, even for the electrically challenged. I am waiting for someone with a 12RT to confirm that.

Generally speaking, the pricing on aux. lights is all over the map, and if you are not careful you can find yourself paying $500 or more by the time you are able to throw the switch.

If I read the advertising right, I think the Micro-Flooters kit from Santa Cruz ($220) should be a fairly easy installation, even for the electrically challenged. I am waiting for someone with a 12RT to confirm that.
I just spoke to service at Santa Cruz BMW, the vendor for the Wunderlich lights. He said that on an RT the installation is pretty straightforward and the instructions are very clear. Problem is, it is also time consuming, and he estimated 3-4 hours of shop time. It involves taking off a lot of fairing parts and the gas tank. Bleah!

His recommendation was to have them installed during a normal service that involves much of the same work, in which case they will not add so much time to the overall bill. With that in mind, I think I'll plan to be in Santa Cruz for my 6000 service (nice ride from LA) and have the lights installed at that time.

Jon, my Micro-Flooders are enroute to me as we speak, should have them for mid week...and installed by the weekend.

I will be happy to let you (and everyone else...) know my impressions of the product, installation, and performance as soon as I can, pics included thumbsup.gif

Jim

I will be happy to let you (and everyone else...) know my impressions of the product, installation, and performance as soon as I can, pics included thumbsup.gif

Jim

That's great. I'll look forward to the report.

Jon

I just picked up the 1100X's and have gone through the insatllation directions - looks fairly straight forward. I'm going to have my 600 mile service tomorrow and talk to Bobby at Carolina BMW about where to route the wires. He'll give me the straight scoop as I would like to avoid gas tank removal. The electrical is 3 wires, 1 to battery +, 1 to battery -, and a third + for the switch control - I need his recommendation for where to connect this wire, the manual says it can also go right to the battery +, but you will run the battery down if you leave them on, I'd like to find a keyed wire to connect to... I'll let you know!

Ed

Hi Ed,

I've tried three times to reply to your post without success; maybe this one will do thew trick.

Please do keep me posted on what you learn; I'm leaning towards trying to do this myself but remain cautious enough to wait to see what you find out. Appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Mike

Aluminum_Butt

the manual says it can also go right to the battery +, but you will run the battery down if you leave them on

You really do need to run the power directly to the battery. IIRC, these are 55W lights - together they'll draw almost 10 amps.

The proper way to handle this is to install a relay. The coil side of the relay is wired to something that is on only when the ignition is on (parking light, low beam, etc). The relay then feeds power to the lights only when the ignition is on.

Archived