IGNORED

Officially saying hello

RogerC60

Hello everyone, I've been reading and benefiting from these forums since December and decided to formally introduce myself.

I bought an '03 R1150RT with 46500 miles last November after being away from riding for 29 years. I learned to ride (long ago) on a Suzuki GS550 and then rode for a couple of years on a Honda CB900C. I'd always been sort of in awe of the BMW boxers but never imagined I'd be able to own one. So when I bought the RT I knew pretty much nothing about BMW bikes. Thanks to this forum (and some others) I now know a whole lot more.

I've replaced the OEM rubber brake hoses with Galfer braided stainless steel, replaced the wimpy H7 halogen headlight bulb with a nice bright LED,  changed the fog light bulbs to amber LED (and run with them on all the time), added a second brake/tail light, changed the stock brake light to an LED, and added a brake light modulator to make the lights blink when I first hit the brakes.

I've registered for a riding course given by the Ohio BMV (Basic Skills for Returning Riders) which I'll be attending April 11 and 13 (really looking forward to it).

Here are some pics of the bike on the day I bought it. I can't begin to express my thanks to all the knowledgeable and friendly people on here.

IMG_20181030_165139542.jpg

IMG_20181030_165216518.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the group.  Beautiful bike!  Great lines and gorgeous paint.  I came sooo close to buying a new one just like it but I just couldn't get past how invisible it must be (from the side) in low light situations.  I'm a high viz kind of guy.  My current bike is white, my car is white, my truck is white and I ride with aerostich hiviz puke yellow/green suit, Clearwater aux lights, and rear reflectives by Fernando.  If somebody runs me over it's not because they didn't see me.

Welcome to BMWST.  Indeed, lots of great info and advise from members to keep you and your RT going down the road with a smile.

On 3/30/2019 at 10:27 AM, RogerC60 said:

I've registered for a riding course given by the Ohio BMV (Basic Skills for Returning Riders) which I'll be attending April 11 and 13 (really looking forward to it). 

Good decision on the safe riding classes.  I  had taken a ten year hiatus from riding and while the fundamental skills were still there, plenty of rust needed to be knocked off so I did benefit from the advanced rider course.  Particularly valuable was the classroom situational awareness section.   You might check if your insurance provider provides a discount for taking those courses. Mine did.